Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help tuning open Glock

muncie21

I took my open glock to a local match today....holy erratic ejections batman :surprise:

The gun would not run a full mag without getting a stovepipe looking ejection problem. The spent round was 'extracted', but the extracted round wasn't ejected, which leads me to look at the ejector and recoil spring. Other than trying a .40 ejector, I don't know what else I can do, as my 11 lbs recoil spring is likely the smallest that I can reliably run and I have not seen very many 10 lbs springs.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

1. Timberwolf frame
  2. Lonewolf G34 slide
  3. SF trigger housing, with 336 (stock glock 9mm) ejector
  4. 11 lbs IMSI captured recoil spring
  5. KKM barrel with comp (not sure of manufacturer)
  6. Shooting 9mm factory loads (124 & 115)

photo9_zps5e59fb3d.jpg

I don't have an open G34 but I put the new gen4 ejector in my Gen 3. I'm pretty sure it 30274. I run an IMSI Spring 11-13 lbs ( don't remember without looking) and a Jager guide rod.

Edited by stick

Did you have the ejection port lowered? I know that Lonewolf says they lower the ejection port on their slides, it still may not be enough. Bobby Carver suggests lowering the Lonewolf ejection port even more to ensure reliable ejection when coupled with his C-more mount, which it looks like you are sporting. You can send him the slide to have it done, or you can request the specs so you can do it yourself.

Thanks for the input guys.

As an additional bit of info, I've used the Carver mount for several years without issues on both a G34 and G17.

When I added the comp, I had a few ejection issues, which I thought I had sorted out, by going to the 11# spring.

I recently added the timberwolf frame and now can't get through a single mag without a spent case getting hung up between the barrel and ejection port.

What is your pf?

He said he's using factory loads, so I'm gonna say Minor. I had the same issues at first with my Open Glock. I shoot only factory ammo and have a KKM barrel with the Jager comp. I ended up cutting 4 coils off the IMSI 10lbs spring. After that, no issues at all. I do NOT have the Carver mount though since I'm using a C-More STS.

Check about lowering your ejection port since your using a Carver Mount. Another idea is you could order a ZEV Extended Ejector and install and tune it to your gun. I am getting ready to install and tune the ZEV Extended Ejector in my G22 Open gun.

I'd get a hold of Bobby Carver and have him lower the ejection port for you. He will also tune your gun for you. Not sure how much he will charge since your parts are already installed, he charges $70 to assemble, tune , and test race guns.

I have talked to a couple of builders and he seems to be the most knowledgeable that I have spoken to. I have also tried out a few guns he built and they are top notch. He will be building my race gun later this year.

The ejection port should be lowered for the open glocks with the mount you have on it. Also, you factory loads may just not have enough to get the longer slide back with a comp but I would address that after having the ejection port lowered

The ejection port should be lowered for the open glocks with the mount you have on it. Also, you factory loads may just not have enough to get the longer slide back with a comp but I would address that after having the ejection port lowered

I would agree that your issue is has a lot to do with using factory loads. That comp is made to be used with Major PF loads. Carver does make a comp for factory (minor PF) loads and a comp for Major PF loads.

You should get your ejection port lowered as well as that can cause lots of issues.

I had the same issue but was using an SJC mount, tried all the tricks. Extended ejector, white plunger, NLC indicator extractor, different springs weights. nothing seemed to work - while using a Lone Wolf slide. Switched to SJC sideways mount and their 10 lbs spring for minor. Gun runs 100%.

I would send it to Carver as suggested. I see both Carver and SJC glocks run well, but most guys are having the pros tune them up.

My open G17

Lone Wolf slide

KKM barrel with SJC 11 port Comp.

13 lbs for Major - 10lbs for minor

Steel rod

Home trigger job

SJC heavy mag well

SJC Cmore sideways mount with thumb rest

I second the idea of sending the gun off to Bobby.

I have a lone wolf slide on my Open Gun that Bobby built and he definately lowered the ejection port. In my experience comps do not like factory loads.

You may not have enough gas to properly eject the shell......

I run a 9 major G34 in open, but I've ran one with minor loads for GSSF in the past. Using a 10# Wolff recoil spring and WWB 115gr Q-loads I had good results. Bobby suggests WWB 115gr or PMC 124gr for factory ammo, but you should get good results with any decent factory ammo.

I'm not a big fan of the LWD frame. I've heard alot of complaints on them but I have yet to test for myself so when it comes to that I digress.

• 4 weeks later...