Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Love the music

BDH

I just hate that everything has to be politicized (I know, maybe this should have gone in the What I Hate category)...

I'll go first with the Dave Matthews Band. LOVE the music, but hate the politics.....

I'll even add that I am going to see one of my all time favorite bands (R.E.M.) next Wednesday.... I will enjoy the music, but I hate the politics...

Anyone else want to chime in? :huh:

(MODS: maybe this should be in the HATE forum)

For people who are frustrated with show business types who feel they are qualified to dictate public opinion, you really must see "Team America: World Police" without delay.

The phenomenon of actors pontificating on world affairs and people actually listening to them as if they were experts was the motivation of the story.

Warning! It is for mature audiences ONLY. If you are easily offended, it may not be worth the joy of seeing the actors lampooned.

I don't find Green Day offensive. I've read the lyrics to American Idiot, and see it as an indictment of America in general. It might help to know that that album is written as a rock opera, of sorts. Not unlike the The Who's Tommy. Then again, maybe not.

Ditto on Flex$ and brotha Rhino. What I really can't stand is people who believe that artists political opinion's really matter more than anyone elses simply because it is put into print or on recorded media.

Let's leave politics to politicians. They're bad enough at it already.

I too am put off by some peoples politics but I am sure that I put off others by mine. If I dish it, and I do, I feel that it is only fair for me to take it also. The thing that keeps sanity and a smile in my heart is that I know that their opinion is just as irrelevant as mine. ;)

Along these lines, I really hate it when people who are marginally "American" spend a significant portion of their time criticizing Americans because we're all so stupid and uninformed. Sure, there are lot of people here behind the curve (most of them are followers of those same America Bashers, not coincidentally), but that's part of the human condition. It's not uniquely American to have a normal distribution of people with various levels of mental abilities or desire to stay informed.

I too am put off by some peoples politics but I am sure that I put off others by mine. If I dish it, and I do, I feel that it is only fair for me to take it also. The thing that keeps sanity and a smile in my heart is that I know that their opinion is just as irrelevant as mine. ;)

Amen! :D

Though many would contest that I am NOT sane.

Rage Against the Machine

Rage Against the Machine was awesome, even if they were a bunch of commies. I think guitarist, Tom Morello deserves marginally more credit than many mindless musicians. He got a degree from Harvard and can at least explain his beliefs, even if I think he's wrong.

If I ever start purchasing music again, I will give strong preference to those whose socio-economic-political beliefs are closest to mine. If that means I have to listen to country music, I'll do it.

Aaron Tippin

Hank Williams, Jr.

All of the Mandrell Sisters

etc.

Heck, I drive a truck and I listen to the stuff on the radio already because I drive a truck. It won't be that painful!

Guest Larry Cazes

I don't believe in mixing music and politics. I can listen to just about anything and enjoy the music without having to agree with the underlying message. I guess I just see listening to music as a way to enhance other things that I enjoy. I also like dave mathews, the indigo girls, and the grateful dead but don't agree with any of the politics surrounding these bands.

I try to tune it out, but it isn't always possible. What gets me it the sense of entitlement that some famous people have. OK, so you're a great actor/singer/whatever. Why does that mean your opinion is any better than the squeegee guy down at the corner? Why should I care? You want to pontificate with weight on international finance, get a friggin degree, then bend my ear. Otherwise do the flippin job I'm paying you for.