Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locking keys in the car

Travtastik

At the match yesterday as we got out of the car someone hit the door lock and locked the keys in the ride. All my gear and my buddy's gear was locked inside his blazer. Grabbed a hanger and went to work was able to hit the unlock button inside but it wouldn't work because the keys were still in the ignition. Had to borrow gear to do 2 stages while it took 3 hours for a locksmith to get there and open the door.

I did volunteer myself as dedicated score keeper while I I waited to be able to get to my gear. I didn't do to bad considering how the day went so I will take it as a positive that it didn't completely take me out of my game.

That brought both a smile and tears to my face -- no, I'm not sadistic.....

Our late friend and forum member Stewart Lewis did that too -- twice actually. After the second time he got ribbed about it incessantly -- "Stewart, got your keys?" Even on those days, he was always happy about it. The second time was at the Mid-Atlantic Sectional, maybe 80-100 miles from home. He told me that he called his wife, quite upset, and that she calmed him down immediately, telling him to go to dinner with his friends, and that she'd have a key delivered to his hotel. She did -- by limo or car service, keys were waiting at the front desk when they got back from dinner....

Needless to say, with stories like that you never live it down. Stewart had a plastic key made that clicked into a credit card -- and kept that on him for the rest of his match days.

I just carry a second key ring with house and car keys only -- it's enough to get me home if something happens to the primary.

Borrow a gun, shoot out a window! Some would then claim it on their insurance, and get reimbursed... Not us tho, cause we shooting guys and girls are honest!! Good on you tho. I would have seriously flipped out!

PS

I always carry a spare in my wallet... Want to guess why?

Edited by Dr. Phil

I always have a spare house and car key in my wallet too. The flat metal kind. I have used them more often than I care to recall, but it turns an expensive emergency into a free 2 minute inconvenience.

Last Year at a match, my daughter wanted to tag along. I left the cooler in the car and she wanted to hold the keys. I specifically remember telling her don't lock the keys in the car....Guess what she did. I called triple A and went on shooting the match.

Reminds me of the joke about the guy who locked the keys in the car. It took the locksmith so long to get there that his wife in the car almost starved to death. :surprise:

I have a "Hide-a-Key" stashed on my vehicles. I once locked my keys in my truck while elk hunting way back in the middle of nowhere. I stood there flabbergasted looking at the keys hanging in the ignition. What a relief when I got my head out and realized the window was rolled down. Not even kidding.

I can’t lock my key in the car because it’s the key fob and keyless start. If the key is the car, or the trunk, you simply hit the button on the door handle and Viola, you’re in.

With that said….I did find out there is something you CAN do though.

Normally I have the key FOB on a ring with my house keys. Unfortunately in this case, it was just the FOB because I had just that prior weekend got back from an out of town match, and had left the house keys home and only brought the FOB since someone else drove.

Anyway, so I am at the gym, and just finished my work out. Normally I put on a clean dry shirt when I get out to the car since the one I work out in is soaked through. So while I’m standing there, I put the key fob on the sunroof. Changed shirts, drove home. After I got home and showered I went to go back out a couple of hours later. Couldn’t find the key FOB anywhere. Turns out, the car was able to start at the gym because the FOB was close enough to the inside of the car ( on top of the sunroof ) that the car recognized it. Unfortunately when I pulled out of the parking lot, the FOB fell off the roof and was never found. I was amazed to find out that the car will drive without the FOB in it once it is started. ( Nissan Altima ).

I had an extra FOB at home, but I don’t like having just one, because you never know what can happen, so I had to replace it…….$300 mistake.

Two remotes! When I ride to an out of town match with my shooting buddy, he has me keep one of his remotes in my pocket. Not only is it a back up, but I don't have to look for him to get the keys to get in for re-supply.

I have the fobs as well. Upside - can't get locked out. Downside - the suckers cost several hundred bucks to buy and program. I have a spare. I just gotta remember to take it with me, stashed separate in case I lose one or throw it in the laundry by accident.

I have the fobs as well. Upside - can't get locked out. Downside - the suckers cost several hundred bucks to buy and program. I have a spare. I just gotta remember to take it with me, stashed separate in case I lose one or throw it in the laundry by accident.

Mine have all been washed and/or run through the dryer several times each. Putting the remote fob in a container of dry rice works wonders. Both of them still work.

Keep them in your underwear. This way you only have to worry about the laundry thing a couple of times a year. :sick::roflol: