Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Pistolsmiths to work on STI Trojan in 40?

Gary1911A1

I know there are good pistolsmiths who off Trojans already worked on to improve reliability with long loaded .40 in 10MM Magazines, but I have an early one with the thicker front strap like Springfield use to make before pistolsmiths started to offer their improved Trojans. What pistolsmiths would work on an older model to ramp, recut chamber, replace magazine catch so it will not hold 10MM Magazines to high and other improvements?

I would guess Bobby at Freedom Gun Works or Matt Cheely. Matt did great work on my Edge. My Trojan has always gone to Virgil Tripp - he has done barrel/reliability work and also cut and crowned my barrel. He does great work.

I would give Tripp a call, especially if you are going to use their 10mm mags. With the work he has done to mine and using their 10mm mags, my Trojan runs perfectly...user problems, well, that's another story...

Depends on what you are looking to have done. The heavier style Smithing, anyone listed above you can trust. Down time is all you need to worry with. The more simple things I'm sure you can find a local Smith you can talk with and feel then out and maybe have that work done locally and maybe save at least time? Who knows, but whatever road you choose make sure you are both on the same page.

I have a pair of .40 Trojans.

The one that was giving me fits during slide lock reloads went back to STI. They paid shipping both ways, and the day I got it back, I took it to the range and did about 50 slide lock reloads and didn't even have an issue with short ammo out of 10mm mags! :cheers: