Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore - Can't import scores from Nook to PC using App Export

CHA-LEE

I need some help. We just did a pretty big local match (95 shooters) using PractiScore Android version 1.1.11. Everything was working fine until we attempted to upload the stages and results from the Master Nook to the PC using the PractiScore App exporter. The App exporter is able to discover the Master Nook in steps 1 & 2 but when I click on the "Save EzWinScore" button it errors out with a message of "Device could not be found. Check to see that it is on". The Stages and Results are not pulled up onto the PC. Then the Nook posts an error stating "Low on space, storage space is getting low". There is nothing loaded on these Nooks that is consuming any space. When I plug the nook into the PC and look at the directories there is only like 2% of the available space being used.

I thought that it might be a wireless network issue so I tried doing it on a different network, same result.

I thought it might be an issue with the PC, so I used a different PC with the PractiScore App Exporter to attempt to upload the scores, and it still failed with the same result.

We just upgraded the PractiScore version from 1.1.9 to 1.1.11 so I downgraded one of the nooks and synced the 1.1.11 Master nook with the 1.1.9 nook. It was able to pull the match, registration, and scores over correctly. But the 1.1.9 nook failed the upload the same way.

I then setup another 1.1.9 nook and manually copied all of the scores from the 1.1.11 master nook over to the new 1.1.9 nook (that was a fun 3 hours of manually entering 425 scores) and it still failed the same way.

I setup a new test match with only a couple of stages and shooters with mach score data. This did work at both 1.1.9 and 1.1.11.

I don't understand why a test match of smaller size will work but a large match with a bunch of shooters would not. I am at a complete loss as to why this is not working with the nooks.

Out of desperation I synced my iPhone PractiScore with the 1.1.9 Nook and then attempted to upload the results with the App Exporter and it WORKED!!! Why would this work properly with the iOS version but not the Android????

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know. I treat the nooks at stage devices ONLY, and pull scores from them to a master iOS device. (The master is ALWAYS an iOS device, usually an ipad but iphone is just as capable.) From THERE when it's all over, I goto the synch tab and email results and registrations/stages/etc to myself, pull it in on the pc from email and build a new ezws match file from that. We used the Practiscore Exporter at the state match last year (9 stages, 220+ competitors) and it worked, but I trust the email and build-from-nothing path a bit more.

I'm with Bill on this one, only I will export the stages & results from the master device, then import only the scores back into Practiscore.

I've played around with the Practiscore Exporter, but it seems to be more trouble than it's worth, to me. It might be useful if you have no internet access to Dropbox/Email the exported stages & scores and HAVE to get it into EZWS right then (major match in the middle of nowhere?), but for anything else, the EZWS results can wait until I get home. Practiscore results I post as soon as any sort internet access is available. If I have to make any fixes to the data afterwards, then I'll just re-upload those later.

The primary challenge we face is not having internet access at the range. The cell coverage is spotty at best so using a cell phone as a hot spot is out of the question.

I don't understand what the limitation is that I am running into with the Nooks. Its almost like there is some maximum shooter number or total scores entered that once you reach it, it fails to upload.

I have used this same Nook to PC using the PractiScore App Exporter method many times for 30 - 40 shooter matches with 6 stages without any issues. I don't know why a 95 shooter match with 5 stages would make it fail.

I use a Nook Tablet as the master in our system and have not had this problem. I did a 9 stage match with 85 shooters using 1.1.11 on 5-26-13 and Practiscore Exporter worked just fine to get things back into the computer.

Brian

Charlie, could you please email me the match export file from device that didn't work with PC app. I'll take a look.

On a side note, you shouldn't need an internet connection in order to use one of the phones as a hot spot... At least for android phones, it should be sufficient just to enable tethering (though it will eat phone battery quick, so I usually keep it on for short periods).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for a slow turnaround on reported issues and enhancement requests. I am shooting and working several big matches during June. But don't worry, all issues entered in PS bug tracker won't be lost and eventually I'll get to them. Actually it is better to submit enhancement requests and hard-to-reporduce issues to the bug tracker, so much easier to track them.

Charlie, I only see two issues in bug tracker reported by you:

https://practiscore.com/bugs/view.php?id=186

https://practiscore.com/bugs/view.php?id=185

Another one from our lenghty email conversation, I am still thinking about our options.

I saw the same issue that Cha-Lee is reporting at our June match. There were approx. 52 shooters, 6 stages. I also ended up manually entering the scores into EZWinscore :(

I was using Nooks for the stage devices and the master.

Steve Pitt

Pikes Peak Practical Shooters

...depending on the rooting system you chose for the nook. We just pretty much have our nooks set up as dedicated practiscore scoring tablets, and that's absolutely all they do, and neither email nor the google market is available. (I suppose we COULD turn those on, we've just never done it.) But yes, EUXX is right and we don't even use the app exporter. We email exported results from the ios master back to ourselves and import that into ezws. (Or export to "another app" --> dropbox and open your dropbox on your ezws laptop and import from there; I just tried that and it works even better and cleaner than email, in that the exported .zip file just shows up in your computer's file structure.) Works every time for us. As troublesome as the app exporter seems to be for some folks and given that there are other ways to do it without the use of this external utility, there may even be something to be said for dropping it altogether.

Edited by wgnoyes

In addition, if you're running pure Android (no IOS devices involved), sync all the NOOKs to a device with a real or virtual SD card (a "special" NOOK, your phone, a tablet), then export the registration and the stages and scores to the SD card.

Then you can either remove the SD card from the device and install it in a reader on your PC, or just plug the device up via USB so that it appears as a disk drive. Copy the reg.txt file and the zip file over to the PC, unzip the zip, and you're off and running into EZWS.

Or, as Bill said, export them to Dropbox. Personally, I think the Exporter app is more trouble that it's worth, and I don't completely understand the point of it, unless you don't have network access AND you don't have USB available.

Instead of having 98723492798734924 different work around solutions for this issue, how about we just fix the issue so it works as it was designed to perform????

I have run into this issue twice now on two different matches that were "Big" (70 - 125 Shooters with 6+ stages). My current work around is to sync the Master Nook with my iPhone then use the App Exporter to pull the scores up from the iPhone to the PC. Pulling the scores up from the iPhone works without any issues. BUT this process should work properly with the Nooks.

Nook to ios to ezws? That's not a workaround; that's what we do all the time. The master is ALWAYS an ios device, and not because of this app exporter hassle. We don't want to key in device codes any more than we have to. Ios can just reach out and find the nooks and populate the synch list. Therefore the master is always ios.

The point is there are multiple ways of doing this, and therefore you are NOT stuck. You didn't have to rekey 425 scores. The App exporter is an external utility that has to be maintained alongside the practiscore apps themselves. It has to be run separately. it's one more damned thing to do. You could instead just use dropbox or email to send over scores very cleanly FROM WITHIN practiscore instead of launching some other program. We used the app exporter at ga state last year. We won't be using it again this year.

Edited by wgnoyes

Instead of having 98723492798734924 different work around solutions for this issue, how about we just fix the issue so it works as it was designed to perform????

I have run into this issue twice now on two different matches that were "Big" (70 - 125 Shooters with 6+ stages). My current work around is to sync the Master Nook with my iPhone then use the App Exporter to pull the scores up from the iPhone to the PC. Pulling the scores up from the iPhone works without any issues. BUT this process should work properly with the Nooks.

Charlie, I am not saying it should not be fixed. But I see no reason to manually enter scores already entered in Practiscore. The PS Exporter app is convenient and easy way to export scores, but you should keep your options ready, e.g. copy over SD card or connect Nook to USB are relatively easy options.

Anyhow, we established that the problem is in Android version running on Nook and most likely caused by the low free disk/memory in the app private area. I still can't figure out why, and not able to reproduce it with what I have here. There are couple alternative options I can probably try, but unfortunately won't be able to do much work in next couple weeks... Leaving for PanAm shotgun match tomorrow morning.

So, I will fix it, but for next few weeks please use alternative options if PS Exporter app fail.

euxx> If you need a loaner Nook that is showing the issue I would be more than willing to ship one to you. I will obviously need to get it back. But I am willing to live without it for a while if it helps speed up the resolution to this issue.

Nook to ios to ezws? That's not a workaround; that's what we do all the time. The master is ALWAYS an ios device, and not because of this app exporter hassle. We don't want to key in device codes any more than we have to. Ios can just reach out and find the nooks and populate the synch list. Therefore the master is always ios.

The point is there are multiple ways of doing this, and therefore you are NOT stuck. You didn't have to rekey 425 scores. The App exporter is an external utility that has to be maintained alongside the practiscore apps themselves. It has to be run separately. it's one more damned thing to do. You could instead just use dropbox or email to send over scores very cleanly FROM WITHIN practiscore instead of launching some other program. We used the app exporter at ga state last year. We won't be using it again this year.

1. Not every club has an ios device. We only have Nook's and they work great. Having to key in the device code is a simple (albeit annoying) step and not worth spending $300+ for a super special Apple product.
  2. Not every club has internet access at the range. In fact I would wager that the majority of ranges do not have internet access. The "duh - just email it to yourself" or "duh - just upload it to dropbox" answer is not particularly useful for us without internet access.

For those without an ios device or internet access these are the steps (Must have an SD card installed):

select "Sync" tab on Nook

scroll down to "Export Match Registration", select

select save to SD card (file gets saved to sdcard/practiscore/ezwinscore/)

select "export Match Stages & Scores"

Plug Nook into computer (or pop out SD card and insert into card reader)

Open the "practiscore" folder on the SD card

Open the "ezwinscore" folder on the SD card

Save "reg.txt" to c:\Practiscore

Open / unzip "EzWinScoreExport.zip"

Save all .txt files to c:\Practiscore

Open text files in ezwin.

I couldn't get this to work without an SD card installed. My advice is just to buy a couple cheap ones off of Amazon just in case of things like this.

No one is saying "duh, use this" or "duh, use that".

BUT, you ARE talking about steps in the operation that don't necessarily HAVE to be completed AT the range, unless you're running a major match. I maintain that dropbox or email is fast and convenient.

ANOTHER BUT, your described method above also works and works very well. Thank you for that. It also may be the ONLY path available if you used the graphical nook manager rooting system, as there's no trace of email in the resulting package and, even though it's there, practiscore makes no mention of being able to export to anything BUT the microsd card.

I have a recommendation about microsd cards. Just get some cheap ones, that is, one for each nook, install them and forget them. I did this so I wouldn't have to search around for and try to insert the tiny little card and then eject it back out every time I wanted to update practiscore through (here that's word again) dropbox. And I would just plug the nook into the computer to bring the files back over.

How do you bring your match over from ezws to ps on the nook? (Never mind; figured it out. Hook up the nook to the computer, drag over the generated .psc file to the microsd card, then open up practiscore, tap sync tab, select 'import match' and tap and select the match file from the microsd card.)

Edited by wgnoyes

• 1 month later...

1. Not every club has an ios device. We only have Nook's and they work great. Having to key in the device code is a simple (albeit annoying) step and not worth spending $300+ for a super special Apple product.
  2. Not every club has internet access at the range. In fact I would wager that the majority of ranges do not have internet access. The "duh - just email it to yourself" or "duh - just upload it to dropbox" answer is not particularly useful for us without internet access.

For those without an ios device or internet access these are the steps (Must have an SD card installed):

select "Sync" tab on Nook

scroll down to "Export Match Registration", select

select "export Match Stages & Scores"

Plug Nook into computer (or pop out SD card and insert into card reader)

Open the "practiscore" folder on the SD card

Open the "ezwinscore" folder on the SD card

Save "reg.txt" to c:\Practiscore

Open / unzip "EzWinScoreExport.zip"

Save all .txt files to c:\Practiscore

Open text files in ezwin.

I couldn't get this to work without an SD card installed. My advice is just to buy a couple cheap ones off of Amazon just in case of things like this.

This is what we do, but we have a problem. The files will transfer their names, but not the content. We have to perform practical insanity as we repeat th process 3+ time and then it works. I have been thinking of buying a Ipad to get past this. We use only Nooks and since all our matches have a classifier we have to go through EZwin;

Don't know. I treat the nooks at stage devices ONLY, and pull scores from them to a master iOS device. (The master is ALWAYS an iOS device, usually an ipad but iphone is just as capable.) From THERE when it's all over, I goto the synch tab and email results and registrations/stages/etc to myself, pull it in on the pc from email and build a new ezws match file from that. We used the Practiscore Exporter at the state match last year (9 stages, 220+ competitors) and it worked, but I trust the email and build-from-nothing path a bit more.

This is exactly what we do also. Nooks are ONLY scoring devices! We have a iPad as a master, once all the info is loaded to the iPad, we transfer to a PC without ant issues.

This is exactly what we do also. Nooks are ONLY scoring devices! We have a iPad as a master, once all the info is loaded to the iPad, we transfer to a PC without ant issues.

So what I am hearing here is that I have to come up with a couple hundred more to get an Ipad to make this painless. Is there any chance that a better routine will be incorporated into the basic program so that we all that are not Iproduct owners don't have to spend???