Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differences Between IPSC and USPSA Rules

Saffer

With 2014 drawing closer, and many of you perhaps contemplating competing in the IPSC World Championships, in Frostproof Florida, it will become necessary to gain a better understanding of the rule differences. There are some key differences, and perhaps more than you realise.

I am both a USPSA and IPSC competitor. I also have certification for both games; CRO for IPSC and RO for USPSA. Although, for the most part, I don't know most of you, I have worked and shot some of the big matches (Florida Open, Area 1, US IPSC Nationals).

Long story short, I have compiled a document highlighting the differences. This is available for download, from scribd, at http://www.scribd.com/doc/144970593/Differences-Between-USPSA-and-IPSC-Rule-Books. It is a work in progress, and I would appreciate feedback, so that revisions can be made, in order for this to be a "go to" document for competitors or officials alike.

Thanks Jeff and Scott. I got tired of switching between games, and not having something easy to refer to. So I did a page by page comparison. What it lacks is how some of the rules are interpreted, and how these may differ. These will be done over time.

Yes, Kevin, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't do the Divisional comparisons because those are in the Appendices. It's easy enough to print the separate Appendices and supplement them with this comparison. But you're right, don't forget the Appendices, especially Production and Classic/Single Stack.

• 2 months later...

I have updated the original comparison to highlight one of the differences in Rule 1.1.5.1, namely; that IPSC does not use shooting boxes, except in Classifiers. I have also added USPSA Rule 2.2.1.4, pointing out that fault lines and shooting boxes should not be used at prone shooting positions. This does not apply to IPSC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I tried to download the document using a link in this thread, it also required downloading a reader program. Along with the reader program came a piece of malware called conduit, which resets the home page on all browser programs to its own home page, an internet search engine. Besides the search engine replacing the home page, it also adds a new default search engine to the tool bar on each browser on your system. (Different name, so you think it is not the same company.) Conduit is apparantly ad supported, because all sorts of stuff pops up on the screen that is related to previous searches or web pages accessed. It apparently takes information from your system and transmits it to conduit. It also redirects your searches to its own advertising clients. Even after removal, it still leaves pieces in your system. I am in the process of trying to fix all this on my computer right now. What a royal PITA! Internet Explorer is still trashed after removal of conduit. I cannot get it to access any web page now. If I were the original poster, I would attach the file to this thread in a recognized word processing format, and not require someone who wants to read it to risk downloading questionable software. A moderator should probably disable the link as well.

So, by your reasoning, the OP is to blame? As they say in the classics, no good deed goes unpunished.

Scribd is the largest digital library on the internet, easy to use, and affords me the benefit of only updating one source. Why am I even explaining this?

If the moderators want to remove the link, they're welcome to. It doesn't affect me. Although over 800 readers, who have already benefited from this handbook, would beg to differ.

Glad I don't shoot IPSC. I didn't have to go read about the differences. I'm not very good with computers. It would probably cause me problems forever.

Thanks!!

Sarge, are you still trying to get all that white out off of your screen? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I ROed at the US IPSC Nationals last month - it was my first IPSC match and was under the supervision of an IROA CRO.

The three big things I saw a lot of procedurals for USPSA shooters were:

-Taking a site picture on the (Load and) Make Ready command

-Taking a shortcut outside the defined shooting area

-Not taking at least one shot after activating an activator

From the RO perspective, there are minor differences in the commands and I was provided a cheet sheet on the rule differences but the CRO handled any rule issues. The stage briefing is shorter - it is assumed the shooter knows the rules (IPSC shooters do) and a demonstration of the starting position stance and gun position is a part of the briefing. I think this is in part due to possible language difficulities with shooters. Also note that the PF requirements are different - I saw many shooters bumped down to minor for shooting their USPSA load in classic and not making 170.

Edited by blueeyedme

I ROed at the US IPSC Nationals last month - it was my first IPSC match and was under the supervision of an IROA CRO.

[snip]

The stage briefing is shorter - it is assumed the shooter knows the rules (IPSC shooters do) and a demonstration of the starting position stance and gun position is a part of the briefing.

What rules are normally explained in USPSA in the stage briefing that aren't bothered to be explained in IPSC?

You can take a sight picture in IPSC right? You just can't take multiples.

It's in the book...

8.7.1 Competitors are prohibited from taking a sight picture and/or dry firing prior to the start signal. Violation

will result in a warning for the first occurrence and one procedural penalty for each subsequent occurrence in

the same match. Competitors may, while pointing their firearm at the ground, adjust electronic sights.

ETA: added link...

Edited by ChuckS

I think that changed last year.

8.7.1 Competitors are prohibited from taking a sight picture and/or dry firing prior to the start signal. Violation will result in a warning for the first occurrence and one procedural penalty for each subsequent occurrence in the same match. Competitors may, while pointing their firearm at the ground, adjust electronic sights.

Chuck beat me to it.

And this one is sort of related:

8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the whole or part of an imitation or replica
firearm, any part of a real firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their own hands, while
conducting their inspection ("walkthrough") of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty
per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

It sort of describes "sighting aid" but that is trumped by "except for their own hands". Empty hands on the walkthrough ;) .

I think that changed last year.

8.7.1 Competitors are prohibited from taking a sight picture and/or dry firing prior to the start signal. Violation will result in a warning for the first occurrence and one procedural penalty for each subsequent occurrence in the same match. Competitors may, while pointing their firearm at the ground, adjust electronic sights.

Chuck beat me to it.

Wow. Yeah that's changed. I helped with the 09 IPSC Nationals and we caught many taking more than the allowed one sight picture.

That's kind of crazy. How do the Open shooters know they have their dot intensity where they want it if they can't check it out?

Safety area or point it to the ground like the rule says. In practical terms for Open, it only means you can't point it at a target while adjusting.

Those rules came because competitors spent too much time adjusting gear and entering "zen" mode when called up to shoot the COF. On L4/5 matches, time is so tight that spending 20-30sec to get ready isn't really possible.