Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sigs in IDPA

Higgins

I'm hoping that makes the X-Five All-Around SSP legal legal although I'm not 100% sure that it fits the box. My all around is a sweet gun but I don't expect a ton of people to get on the sig bandwagon. There seems to be a huge spike in popularity for Tanfoglios with the Stock II and now the Stock III being competitive USPA production guns as well as some heavier CZ variants. Seems logical that some may just start shooting those guns in IDPA. I'm interested to see how this effects the popularity of the Glock 34...

I'm hoping that makes the X-Five All-Around SSP legal legal although I'm not 100% sure that it fits the box. My all around is a sweet gun but I don't expect a ton of people to get on the sig bandwagon. There seems to be a huge spike in popularity for Tanfoglios with the Stock II and now the Stock III being competitive USPA production guns as well as some heavier CZ variants. Seems logical that some may just start shooting those guns in IDPA. I'm interested to see how this effects the popularity of the Glock 34...

I'd like to use my All- Around too, but, even if it fit in the box, I'm pretty sure it's over 43 oz.

I'd like to use my All- Around too, but, even if it fit in the box, I'm pretty sure it's over 43 oz.

My P226 ST weighs 42.9 oz. w/ Mecgar 18 round mag. 43.2 oz. with Sig 15 round mag.

My P226 ST weighs 42.9 oz. w/ Mecgar 18 round mag. 43.2 oz. with Sig 15 round mag.

Wanna borrow my Mecgar 10 rounders for a safer margin? ^_^

Yeah, if your 226ST weighs that much, there's no way adding the extra steel in the barrel, slide, and dust cover would ever make it without some help.

Edited by JAFO

I need to weight mine - at the shop it was 41oz but I didn't have a mag available - I'm sure my mags weight at least 2 oz but I've never checked. Maybe a 226 st or even a 220 st are in my future...

• 4 weeks later...

X-5 won't fit the IDPA box stock and is too heavy. It can be modified to fit the box by taking about 1/8" off the beavertail, but the gun is still way too heavy even for ESP. With a lot of machine work on the frame, I am just about there with the weight, but I still prefer my regular 4.4" barrel P226 Stainless Steel Elite for ESP and a regular P226 for SSP.

Joe

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I doubt we'll see many more Sigs in IDPA. I do shoot my old alloy-framed 226 now and then but most people just don't want to bother with traditional double action.

I used to use my 226 that has the stamped-steel slide, I had the double-action hump reduced many years ago and that smoothed out the first shot, but last year I switched over to a striker pistol when my son took it over.

• 1 month later...

I really like my Sigs (a 220 and more vintage 1990 German 228). I've never felt at any disadvantage shooting the 220 in CDP. But I shot an IDPA match last night with the 228 and the DA first shot was just a pain in the ass. As such, I'll probably be sticking to my M&P9 going forward in SSP.

I've only shot a 226, but it seems like the muzzle flip from the high bore axis would make Sigs non-competitive at high levels.

I'm a nobody, but I only started noticing the high bore axis after all these magazines starting writing about it.

I love my Sigs and I also love my M&P, but the big 220 ST fits my hand and holds things accountable on the receiving end. Accuracy is great. No complaints except that I don't get to shoot it enough. My favorite part is that they will eat just about anything. Most recently a batch of 200gr LSWC that seated a might too long to run in anything else. 1911 and XD wouldn't chamber them, but the Sigs shot them to 4" groups at 40 yds with my out of practice self and shaking hands. I was thrilled about not having 400 rounds of starter loads for my 625.