Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Holster for STI Edge

Well, I've decided to give 3 gun a try and I'm trying to get everything set up and ready to go. I've decided to go with the Safariland ELS system but I'm having trouble finding a holster. I'll be using my STI Edge and was hoping for some recommendations. I'm currently using a CR Speed WSM II but would like to find something with better retention. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

You want something with good retention due to the type of stages and activity in 3G. Some go as far as using a holster with a strap to secure the pistol in the holster. But then again, there are some who use a WSM and say they are completely fine with it.

If it was me, the last thing I want is a dropped pistol so I would go with the best retention that will not hinder the draw, like the Bladetech WRS or the Safariland ALS. Other good quality open top kydex holster are a good choice also.

My first choice would ne a DAA Race Master, the lock is top notch and well thought out. If I were to go with something that covered more of the gun I'd look towards Comp Tac, I believe they can make one for an Edge. Both are great supporters of the shooting sports.

Well, I've decided to give 3 gun a try and I'm trying to get everything set up and ready to go. I've decided to go with the Safariland ELS system but I'm having trouble finding a holster. I'll be using my STI Edge and was hoping for some recommendations. I'm currently using a CR Speed WSM II but would like to find something with better retention. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

I used to use a Blade Tech DOH and it works. But now I just use the same holster as my open gun both in three gun. Double Alpha. It has a lock and I have never had a problem. As long as the holsters is locked the gun isn't coming out.

Pat

I used to use a Blade Tech DOH and it works. But now I just use the same holster as my open gun both in three gun. Double Alpha. It has a lock and I have never had a problem. As long as the holsters is locked the gun isn't coming out.

Pat

Shooting which division? I have a CR Speed for my Edge, but in several of the 3-Gun rulesets I have checked, Tactical division specifically disallows "race" holsters or requires "tactical style" holsters. FNH rules (which apply to two local matches I shoot as well as the FNH USA 3-Gun match) require that "holsters must be a practical/tactical carry style". That's why I picked up the Blade-Tech.

Pat

Shooting which division? I have a CR Speed for my Edge, but in several of the 3-Gun rulesets I have checked, Tactical division specifically disallows "race" holsters or requires "tactical style" holsters. FNH rules (which apply to two local matches I shoot as well as the FNH USA 3-Gun match) require that "holsters must be a practical/tactical carry style". That's why I picked up the Blade-Tech.

Pays to know the local rules. Never seen holster rules at all in multi gun.

Pat

I'll be shooting tactical so I guess I'd better check the local rules and see what they require. Again, thanks everyone for the info. This site has been invaluable trying to get ready for this.

• 1 month later...

The blade tek with the the thumb screw. I had several times during Texas multigun to alter the retention between stages. It's nice to be able to crank it down for a stage where you have to do a little running and then loosen it up on the next on for an easier draw.

I had a Blade Tech--It was rubbing the chrome off my gun.

Safariland makes a holster to fit the long dust cover SV (or STI). I have two of them just for 3G.

I'm having a real hard time finding one in stock anywhere. Do you remember the product code for the one that worked for you?

The ones I have been using are:

plain black:

6320-56-411

6325-56-411

tac black:

6320-56-131

6325-56-131

paddle, plain black:

6378-56-411

+1 for the DOH and another to look at is the Houge Power speed. I made a piece for mine that covers part of the slide and muzzle out of diamond plate aluminum and the trigger lock works well for 3 gun and still draws fast.

im running a blade tech with level 2 retention for uspsa and 3 gun for a STI Eagle 5.1 and 2011 tactical. Its the one made for SVi and it fits both guns.. When not required i dont use the retention device.

Edited by dauntedfuture

I recently ordered a Bladetech WRS for my edge. I got to use it in a match Saturday and it worked great. I like having the confidence that I can't snag the rear sight with the buttstock of one of my long guns and pull the pistol out of the holster. By the way, I ordered it straight from Bladetech and they said it would be 6-8 weeks out, 2 weeks later it was here already.

I also just received a new Bladetech WRS. For the past few years I've been using a standard Bladetech with finger adjustable knobs, and even torqued down I was nervous the pistol could jump out when I really start sprinting. Definitely don't need to worry about it with the WRS.