Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding a Real Limited Gun

Chris Rhines

Hello all.

I've been shooting USPSA seriously for the last year or so. Up until now, I've been using my ancient 9mm CZ-75, shooting in Limited Minor. Lately my CZ has been having some reliability problems, and I think that instead of trying to fix it I'm just going to make the jump to a "real" Limited gun. Sadly, the budget won't support a brand new S-V right now - I can come up with about a kilobuck, give or take.

So I've been looking around for used guns and having very little luck - there just aren't that many S-Vs, STI 2011s, etc on the used market right now. Is there anyplace else I should be looking for used Limited guns? Are there any other brands that I should consider? Should I just save my nickels for a while and buy a new gun?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I have been thinking about a Limited gun as well, but don't want to drop a couple of grand to get one.

Check these out

Para Ord Limited models

.40S&W is a 16+1 capacity and the .45acp is a 14+1. They are under a grand (usually $800-900) and right now with the .45acp you can get two free hi cap mags.

I have really consider this, but haven't done anything yet.

http://www.paraord.com/pages/pxt_ltd_highcap.html#s1640

How much are you willing to spend (not necessarily now, but in the future as well).
Good question. I can afford to spend about a thousand dollars right now. I am willing to spend whatever it takes in the future, say up to a practical max of $3000. In a way, I'm tempted to scrimp and save for a while until I can afford a perfect gun, rather than settle for a good one right now...

I'll take a look at the Paras as well, although I've heard reports of reliability issues with them - unreliable guns make me crazy (well, crazier...)

- Chris

In a way, I'm tempted to scrimp and save for a while until I can afford a perfect gun, rather than settle for a good one right now...

That's a good thing I think, BUT.....

What do you want exactly? Do you want to be competitive? In that case, forget all about the existence of a PERFECT gun. Any gun that has good sights a decent trigger, competitive capacity in .40 S&W and 100% reliability will do. This includes Glock, Para, CZ, Bul, EAA/Tanfoglio etc.

Get one, get a nice reloading setup and spend the rest of the money on reloading components and PRACTICE B) You'll be kicking ass in no time.

If you want to be competitive, does it HAVE to be in Limited class? Production is a growing division and is currently IMO the most competitive division :ph34r:

It's a lot easier on the wallet and ammo can be bought instead of being reloaded. You'll save lots of money.

Or, do you just want a nice gun? In that case, only you can decide what you like best.

Hope this helps.

BTW, welcome aboard Chris! :D

Just keep watching the classifieds, used guns seem to come in waves. There's a 6" up there right now that sounds like hot stuff, $1200 (in fact I would buy it myself if I weren't broke and didn't already have a nice 6").

Or, get a Glock 35, KKM barrel, Vanek trigger, Dawson sights, heavy magwell, heavy guide rod, and some mags. Like Flex's title says, shouldn't require financing ;)

Guest Larry Cazes

Chris, this really is a pretty personal choice. Any of the guns already mentioned have pros and cons and can be competitive if they are accurate and run 100%. In my opinion, shop around and shoot as many types of guns as you can and pick what you like. If you don't have enough money now, save up and wait until you do because if you settle for something less now, you won't be happy with it. Even in this sport, it is the competitor and not the equipment that determines how much you achieve. Be sure to budget in enough extra cash to pay for lots of ammo/reloading equipment as well.

There's smokin' deals constantly on the USPSA classifieds. Patience and the willingness to haggle will generally yield results. You should have no problems getting a nice gun in the $900-$1200 range.

I hope everyone is sitting down, because I'm going to write something that will surprise some, shock a few, and may induce a few strokes.

If you're on a tight budget and want to shoot Limited, a Glock 22 or 35 is the best choice.

Given that, for just a little more you could get a really nice Para that would serve well. A BUL M5 would be another good, economical choice, as would a Kimber widebody.

You could always stick a magwell on a Glock and have at it.  Where's Flex when you need him?

I must have been sleeping in today. :D

If I had a $1000 to spend on this game...

First I would decide if I wanted to reload. Seeing that Chris's interest shows he is handy...

I suggest getting a Dillon reloader. To keep things under budget...I'd get the Square Deal B. (ready to go for ~$250)

Then there are the 40 caliber Glocks. I'd go with the G35 and then do the "home smith" trigger cleaning up my self (easy enough, and well documented online). And, I'd put on some Heinie Slant Pro sights...after thinning the front down some. Oh...I'd change out the extended slide stop for a stock one...they seem to get in the way.

EricW's grip tape.

I don't have a magwell (probably why it took me so long to get to GM ;)), but there are some you could add later...as funds allow.

Four full capacity mags (at $20 each) and two Dawson extended base pads (on sale at $30 each).

CRSpeed inner/outer belt and Versa mag pouches (these should be good for the Glock...and for whatever mags you might switch to in the future)

CRSpeed Glock holster if you want to spend the money, or an Uncle Mike's if you want to save a pile of cash. (If you go with Uncle Mike's....then you will be able to shoot Production too).

You can shoot the Glock (competitively) in Limited 10...Limited...& Production (downloaded to Minor).

Your gear would all transfer to a S_I setup later. You could sell you Glock once the extra funds are saved (and not big loss on it).

You could also sell the Dillon SDB for close to cost, if you decide to move up to another Dillon later.

You'd have a gun that you don't have to worry about running...ever. Which would leave you free to focus on the shooting.

If you are NOT going to reload, then you might as well shoot 9mm in Production.

You could always stick a magwell on a Glock and have at it.  Where's Flex when you need him?

I must have been sleeping in today. :D

If I had a $1000 to spend on this game...

First I would decide if I wanted to reload. Seeing that Chris's interest shows he is handy...

I suggest getting a Dillon reloader. To keep things under budget...I'd get the Square Deal B. (ready to go for ~$250)

Then there are the 40 caliber Glocks. I'd go with the G35 and then do the "home smith" trigger cleaning up my self (easy enough, and well documented online). And, I'd put on some Heinie Slant Pro sights...after thinning the front down some. Oh...I'd change out the extended slide stop for a stock one...they seem to get in the way.

EricW's grip tape.

I don't have a magwell (probably why it took me so long to get to GM ;)), but there are some you could add later...as funds allow.

Four full capacity mags (at $20 each) and two Dawson extended base pads (on sale at $30 each).

CRSpeed inner/outer belt and Versa mag pouches (these should be good for the Glock...and for whatever mags you might switch to in the future)

CRSpeed Glock holster if you want to spend the money, or an Uncle Mike's if you want to save a pile of cash. (If you go with Uncle Mike's....then you will be able to shoot Production too).

You can shoot the Glock (competitively) in Limited 10...Limited...& Production (downloaded to Minor).

Your gear would all transfer to a S_I setup later. You could sell you Glock once the extra funds are saved (and not big loss on it).

You could also sell the Dillon SDB for close to cost, if you decide to move up to another Dillon later.

You'd have a gun that you don't have to worry about running...ever. Which would leave you free to focus on the shooting.

If you are NOT going to reload, then you might as well shoot 9mm in Production.

I've spent a lot of money on this game over the years. If everything I owned went up in smoke tomorrow --- I'd buy the exact set-up Flex recommends......

No reason you can't practice your way to greatness with the Glock.

P.S. to Rhino: Man, I'm impressed! The chicks must have been smiling at you this week..... :lol:

If everything I owned went up in smoke tomorrow --- I'd buy the exact set-up Flex recommends......

Maaaannn...if I would have waited another hour Nik could have done all that

typing. :huh:

shred...the poor guy...now I have someone to blame. <insert evil laugh>

Somebody ought to sell the exact setup Flex listed with the Uncle Mike's.

I've come to genuinely believe that the only place a race holster is really needed in this game is at the Steel Challenge and if you're on the Super Squad and genuinely need those few tenths on a short course.

The only disagreement I'd have with the 'Get a Glock' advice is if you really want a 1911-design or have to have the spiffiest toys around.

Btw, another good spot to find cheap IPSC-race-ready pistols is at a big match-- often there are some used one for sale.

The only disagreement I'd have with the 'Get a Glock' advice is if you really want a 1911-design or have to have the spiffiest toys around.

Not a problem. Shoot the Glock while saving up for the other. When the extra funds are accumulated, sell the Glock to reach the goal. :)

Outstanding - thanks for all the advice, guys.

So it looks like I have three choices:

- Wait a couple months and buy a brand-new, fully-tricked out doublestack 1911,

- Buy a suitable, used doublestack 1911,

- Buy a Glock and add a few minor tweaks.

I probably don't have the willpower to wait a couple months for a custom gun; I've already put my 3-gun rifle project on hold to fund this one.

The idea of a Glock is interesting... I've never cared for Glocks too much, mainly because of the gawd-awful trigger. So I read about the trigger work that Charlie Vanek does, and think, "Hmmm." A Glock 22 with a Vanek trigger, Dawson/Bo-Mar sights, and a handful of magazines might be just the ticket. I like simple guns that run well, but can be tinkered with a bit. ;) Plus, I could shoot the Glock in IDPA and steel. This may be the way to go...

I'm actually buying a Dillon 550B from a local shooter this week. As soon as I have some bench space cleared out, that'll be sorted.

I've also got a Safariland Levitation rig...honestly, I'm not too happy with it. The belt is too wide to be comfortable, and it doesn't fit well the holster I've been using. I might keep the underbelt and sell or trade the outer belt and pouches for a 1.75" belt of some kind.

Holster will be a Blade-Tech dropped offset - I don't much care for speed holsters.

How do Glocks do recoil-wise? Coming from shooting an all-steel 9mm minor gun, I suspect I'll be a bit recoil-sensitive at first.

Thanks again, all.

- Chris

Oh, BTW, the other Chris Rhines is me. I moved from Purdue to the DC Area almost two years ago, and promptly forgot my password. Sigh...

How do Glocks do recoil-wise? Coming from shooting an all-steel 9mm minor gun, I suspect I'll be a bit recoil-sensitive at first.

I see you heading for "the trap": the urge to turn a Glock into a 1911. Accept the Glock for what it is. Otherwise before long you'll have as much invested as you would have spent on a used S_I. Lots of people can shake and bake with a box stock Glock. You can too.

The easiest way to find a limited gun is to look and see what gun I am shooting. I can limit any gun these days. :(

But more seriously...don't discount the Dawson-ized Para. I have had mine for almost 2 years now and have close to 20K rounds through it with very few problems.

Some people can't shoot Glocks for beans...I am one of those. They don't "point" correctly for me...at least those that I have played with. So if you go the Glock route make sure you try one first. FWIW...Sigs and even Rugers point just fine for me. EAAs, Glocks, and some others don't point for squat. To each his or her own.

Some people can't shoot Glocks for beans...I am one of those. They don't "point" correctly for me...at least those that I have played with. So if you go the Glock route make sure you try one first.
This does concern me a bit.

If any shooters local to the DC area have a tuned-up Glock they'd be willing to let me play with, I'd consider it a great personal favor. I'll supply the ammo and lunch...

- Chris

Glocks have a "built-in" main spring housing that is...most certainly...arched.

Shooters that come from a 1911 with a flat main spring housing often have trouble adapting.

Some shooters feel more natural with one...some with the other.

I refuse to believe that any shooter couldn't learn to use the "other".