Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding a Real Limited Gun

Chris Rhines

When I started handgun shooting, one of my friends steered me away from glock, and towards a lim-10 setup with a kimber 1911. I then purchased a SVI 40 cal limited gun, and then later, a STI 38 super comp open gun. This was all in a span to two years.

The net result is that I am a C-shooter in three divisions. Not exactly my desired goal in learning this sport.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with a 40 cal glock. Much less expensive, just as much fun to shoot, and very versatile in learning the sport.

I do enjoy tinkering, so the 1911/2011 is entertaining for me, and I have a lot of fun reloading different calibers. And with all that I have invested in the equipment, it is hard to imagine turning back now. But in terms of improving as a shooter in the most efficient manner possible, I've come to believe that the 40 cal glock is the way to go.

I think a master/gm shooter is largely independant of the equipment, and the additional money is best spend on practice ammo/travelling to area matches/saving for kids college education, rather than on expensive gear.

Just my two cents.

One more vote from the ' chased my tail till I found it again' crowd,,,

Get a G35. Shoot it as stock as you can stand. The learning curve between a Glock and 1911 grip is nothing compared to the amount of learning it will take to get good at this sport. When you get to the point that others are telling you that your blaster is holding you back THEN break out the check book. By then you will know exactly what you want to buy.

A 35 and some kydex stuff is the gear to have to start this game, and if you have the desire that's all you will ever need...

That said most can't resist the dark side. The mountains of dollars that are traded back and forth to look like a real shooter is amazing.

Good luck!!!

Glocks have a "built-in" main spring housing that is...most certainly...arched.

Shooters that come from a 1911 with a flat main spring housing often have trouble adapting.

It took me years to figure out that I should have arched mainspring housings installed on my 1911s (and on my S&W910).......

......it's amazing how much easier they are to shoot after they've been Glockified..... :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
This does concern me a bit.

If any shooters local to the DC area have a tuned-up Glock they'd be willing to let me play with, I'd consider it a great personal favor.  I'll supply the ammo and lunch...

- Chris

Suggest a pm to "dv8". He has a G35 that is set up very well. Also seems to have cornered the market on powder-puff loads for it :D

• 3 months later...

I can't believe I missed this thread, I too was campaigning a 30k round CZ in limited minor. I went the other way on the replacement though, traded an AR for a used STI, should be here tomorrow or Thurs. I was going to get a CZ standard IPSC until I shot somebody else's SV, I had to have one then. My carry gun is a G23 and I considered competing with a Glock but after shooting a modular I decided it was the way to go for me. It's no fun getting less points for the same hits on a target unless it's in the A zone(which can be illusive with combat sights) and to shoot in Production I'd have to load my high caps down to 10.

Alan

Chris wrote: "Lately my CZ has been having some reliability problems"

w/o more info, its not possible to say for certain what is going on w/ Chris's CZ but a previously reliable CZ that suddenly has problems suggests to me either a shot out extractor spring or weak mag springs. Get an extra power Wolf spring for both. CZ has a new 9mm mag design (made for them by Mec Gar) that might help as well.

Chris - if you are still in the DC area, drop by: www.shootersparadise.com ; if you buy the CZ spring, I'll install it free of charge. Also, bring the new Glock to one of our competitions; plenty of glock experts there including Jason Jones who made Grand Master in Limited shooting his Glock 35. Regards, C.

• 3 weeks later...

Carlos -

I've actually swapped extractor springs and extractors in the old CZ. Quite a few times now, actually - CZ-USA sent me four brand new extractors last year.

My best guess now is a tight chamber, but fixing that will have to wait until I buy a 9mm Para finishing reamer.

I will come by Shooters Paradise, though. When's the next match?

- Chris

Just finished tonight's indoor match - 6 shooters per hour over 4 stages; 80 rounds each & we did it all inside of 36 feet of range. I am beat. We shoot again on the 3rd Wed. of next month. THere is also a USPSA/IDPA practice that Vlad runs; usually about 150 to 200 rounds; check out the forum on www.shootersparadise.com Regards,

D.C. Johnson

CZ ST or Para P-16.40 Ltd - I own both along with STI's, Tanfoglio's, Glock's. Nothing can beat the CZ ST out of the box. Facory mags 16rds, get Taylor Freeland +2 base pads and your at 18 rds. If you must have a 1911 that will run - go with the Para.

jkushner1

:)

Spook:

Which Tanfoglio can get you to competitive capacity in .40sw.

TY

jkushner1

In a way, I'm tempted to scrimp and save for a while until I can afford a perfect gun, rather than settle for a good one right now...

That's a good thing I think, BUT.....

What do you want exactly? Do you want to be competitive? In that case, forget all about the existence of a PERFECT gun. Any gun that has good sights a decent trigger, competitive capacity in .40 S&W and 100% reliability will do. This includes Glock, Para, CZ, Bul, EAA/Tanfoglio etc.

Get one, get a nice reloading setup and spend the rest of the money on reloading components and PRACTICE B) You'll be kicking ass in no time.

If you want to be competitive, does it HAVE to be in Limited class? Production is a growing division and is currently IMO the most competitive division :ph34r:

It's a lot easier on the wallet and ammo can be bought instead of being reloaded. You'll save lots of money.

Or, do you just want a nice gun? In that case, only you can decide what you like best.

Hope this helps.

BTW, welcome aboard Chris! :D

I agree w/ JKushner re: the TS; I own two of the near-identical CZ Standard IPSC model and they are fantastic limited tools; on par with the STI-SV out of the box & starting at about $1000 retail. If you want to try one out during my match or at Vlad's practice, let me know. And, take Tupperware's advice if you wwant to see how competitive a Limited Glock can be. Regards,

D.C. Johnson