Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

disappointment steel master POS

goose2125

Their is no way im gonna put another dime in this thing !!! If it comes down to it this will go bye bye and i will replace with a full out complete custom from a know smith !

That is actually the better option. But now that you have painted a very clear picture of the guns problems good luck selling it for anywhere near what you have in it. :goof:

Good luck with your predicament.

Fte you need more extractor tension. Either check out an after as stated or add a crap load more to your extractor.

As for the stove pipes the brass is probably hitting the cmore mount. I had the same problems so I tuned my ejector to throw the brass lower. I was not getting stove pipes but it was still hitting the mount so I went with a 90 degree cmore mount. No hiccups anymore.

I know the steel master is designed for lower loads than major but still the recoil needs to operate the gun which means light recoil and main springs so I can see the ftf happening. Maybe try an extended firing pin to remedy that

I would try the aftec first. My factory gun had all kinds of feeding and ejection problems where it was lucky to go a stage and not have a problem. Dropped the aftec in and that was all it took to run perfect I run an aftec in all my guns except for the 45s The 9mm is helped out the most by the aftec

I had the same problem with my SM. I sent it back and STI could not fix it. I installed a Brazos tuned ejector, Aftec extractor and Brazos offset vertical mount and never had another problem, it would eat and spit out anything. You already have $4,000 invested go ahead and spend another couple hundred, call it the STI tax. Same as buying a brand new Harley you have to pay the Harley tax to make it right.

Just my experience,

SR

Just wanted to save that "Harley Tax" part. LOL

While you agravation is warranted, you are in the open end of the pool now. You have recieved good advice. Your extractor and ejector need to be tuned. I have a 9 major gun from a popular builder which would only run about 60% for some reason. Same issues you are having. Extractor tune and ejector contour fixed it right up. As far as mags go. After much shadetree smithing, my mags run with or without spacers. I just pull the spacer out when i need that extra round. If dave is going to troubleshoot the gun for you, then you are set.

ya, you must also factor in that whoever shoots the gun at the shop is not running 200-300 rounds through it. So if it is tweaked a little, and the problem doesnt reoccur.... it gets shipped back to you the same way it went. I may be wrong about this, but I think that if I was, your gun would be running 100%.

Don't worry Goose, I am sorry you are having problems, but I will fix your Steel Master. On STI pistols that we don't do internal work on it has to go back to STI first if they do not fix it the first time I will. I will get on it as soon as It's here

Dave Dawson

That sounds great. I guess i am just shocked to have sent it back to sti and to have it actually be worse when i got it back !!!!! Guess that is not the service i am used to getting. But i really do appreciate you comming on here and letting me know that you will get it going, really says alot about you !!

I have the 126 mag it came with with spacer and dawson also sent me my big stick also with spacer in it both mags do the samething. I am gonna call dawson in the morning since they had me send it to sti first and see what they recommend next. I understand what u guys r saying about changing this and changing that. But to me its like buying a

New race ready bike and getting it home and having to put a new top end in it for u ever get to go to the track !!! I just think that thats bullshit.

Sorry but that is the way it is with race guns to a large degree. It sucks but its normal. I purchased a Steelmaster off someone and all I had to do to get it running was put spacers in the mags and disable the lock back feature on the slide stop. Now it runs like a champ.

Pat

I bought one second hand but nearly new All it needed was an aftec extractor and a long extended ejector with the impact point about 3/4 of the way up the extractor end. Now runs 100%

It also needed a new beavertail (i would like to meet the person that thinned beavertail fits, the point is right on my knuckle) and new safety.

STI guns are really kits rather and ready to run guns

j0s3ph what handloads work the best in ur sm ?

I use 8.1 gr of HS-6 behind a 90gr Sierra JHP at 1.060" OAL, CCI SPP (FAVORITE LOAD).

Also use 5.5 gr of Winchester WSF behind 115gr berry, 1.158" OAL

5.1gr WSF behind 124gr MG JHP, 1.158" OAL, CCI SPP.

All of my brass is Starline.