Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100 problems

More info would help: Ambient conditions. Small or large primers. Brand.

The RF100 is toleranced to operate with everything at about 60-80F. I had problems last winter with primers going sideways in the tube. With everything cold, I constantly had problems with stuck primers. As soon as I turned on the heat in the shop and let everything warm up to about 60F, everthing was fine.

I think the aluminum tube warms up faster than the primers thus giving the primers room to rotate in the tube and go sideways and jam. Getting the primers out is no fun at all. Be careful.

Hopefully that's the issue. If not, I'm clueless...

For me, it is winchester small rifle primers, conditions are my basement, constant around 60 degrees, flat on sturdy bench. The Dillon guy said to make sure the hole in the blue bushing was clean, and I cleaned it, he then said to radius the top of it. Any other ideas?

Where are the primers flipping? at top of tube, partway down?

Try pushing a small cloth patch soaked in alcohol thru the tube to clean it.

Next, hold empty tube up to light, look through tube and rotate it, you are looking to see if the tube is straight or not. If not straight, call us for a replacement. It is also a good idea to wipe off the primer bowl avery 1000 primers or so with alcohol.

My RF100 is brandnew. I use Winchester Small Primers.

The blue bushing is clean and I radiused it off a little bit. When I check it sometimes the primers fall upside down into the tube. This happens at the top ie the blue bushing..

any thoughts?

Schmitz,

Could you post a picture of the blue bushing from the top of your RF100 (with the cover removed)? I have a feeling that somewhere along the line, the bushing changed or the hole milled out for the bushing to fit into changed. Maybe 5 or 6 people on this board all have the exact same problem - and my RF100 is probably 3 years old and I have no problems with flipping.

I even went to the store and bought four totally different brands of primers to try and make mine fail. All worked perfectly.

Just talked to Gary at Dillon, and he had three suggestions (that may or may not have been posted).

a. The screw that holds the blue plastic insert in from the bottom (the last pic on the page in the top link in this thread - Eric's original RF 100 tuning thread) should be adjusted so that the blue plastic sleeve has approx .001" movement up and down, which should also allow it to rotate freely in the hole.

b. Be careful not to overtighten the screw that holds down the plastic plate (with the letter B on it, in the 2nd and 3rd pics in the same thread) because doing so can cause the plastic part to bow upwards, which will increase the chance of primers tipping just as they enter the blue plastic piece.

c. The four bolts that hold down the cover only need to be "finger tight," (a very technical mechanical term) as opposed to tightly wrenched down. This allows the shield to "absorb" some of the vibration, lessening chances of primer flipping.

d. not really a tip, but, small primers are definitely more finicky (than L P), so a little fiddling is not uncommon.

Another tip I got from a different Dillon employee was to buy a rheostat (which allows you to vary the voltage to the motor) and plug the RF 100 into that. Then by tweaking the voltage, you can make 'er purr (load primers) like a kitten.

Now I'm sure someone's gonna ask - won't that void the warranty? Well, I'm not sure, but I'd just keep it my little secret.

And one last idea from me, which may or may not have anything to do with anything, is that the RF 100 was initially designed to work with large primers (fact), so it may be a tad over-violent with small primers (guess).

be

I will do this Eric, my digital camera is in my workshop, I'll take it home tomorrow, take some pics and post them, thanks for your concern, I appreciate it, esp. because the rest of my Dillon-tools are working perfectly for me!!

Thanks for posting the suggestions Brian :)

• 1 year later...

I have a real cheap fix. I put mine on a mouse pad that sits on a small piece of carpet. Absorbs the harsh vibration and slows the process.

I'm loading .45. A .22 cal brass rod cleans the tube after each days session. I also clean the bowl with acetone on a QTip. The bushing I clean with windex.

The red bushing is adjusted to .001 and I've had zero problems. Just like anything else, you have to maintain your equipment.

Crap. I want to buy a couple of these RF100's to test out. I wonder if I just didn't get lucky and get a good one. Mine's been pretty bombproof.

I hate you :D

Enough to sell me your RF-100 cheap? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem of taking too long to fill (or not), and upside down primers.

I thought that the RF100 was a POS.

A call to Dillon confermed that it's indeed a problem with Fed SP primers. I was told that they are lighter.

I found that when I held the tube firmly, the primers would fill quicker and not be upside down.

So, I stuffed a piece of 1" x 3" foam between the main column and the tube - problem solved.

No further action required.

RePete.

Edited by RePete

I had numerous problems with my rf100 till I threw a rheostat on it. It is now 100%. If I change primers it takes a quick minute to dial it back in. It seems the rf100 vibrates too violently for some sizes and types of primers.

• 1 month later...
I had numerous problems with my rf100 till I threw a rheostat on it. It is now 100%. If I change primers it takes a quick minute to dial it back in. It seems the rf100 vibrates too violently for some sizes and types of primers.

Where can I get a rheostat?

Radio Shack doesn't have them. WalMart doesn't have lamp dimmers. Home Depot does, but only for a two pronged plug, not the three pronger that the RF100 uses.