Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para-Ordnance Magwells

Shipster

I have a p16-40 Limited That I'm trying to put a Magwell on. I started out ording a SA and when I got it I didn't like the idea of shortening the grip because of my beefy hands. So I returned it and got an Ed Brown which with the words drop in attached I thought that this might be what I'm looking for....NOT!!! After Run-n-Gun and I worked on it for a couple of hours with some files, we got it to fit but not accept the mags. So here I am, is it worth another couple of hours of file work or do I just order something else? Who has the DP Ice or DP's standard one, and what did you have to do to fit it, and did you lose any grip area? Or is there something that I'm totally missing.

Thanks Steve

What ever you choose to go with, make damn sure that whatever mag base pads you choose to go with will work with the mag well. WHen I shot a Para I got the SA integral magwell(Best IMHO) and had it hard chromed. I then went to Grams pads which worked, but Dawsons wouldnt, and didnt want to refinish my gun. Just make sure it is properly relieved before you refinish it! Good Luck, DougC

Shipster,

I have a P16-40 LTD and have an Ed Brown on it, the Dawson base pads work fine on it.( I use Para magazines with Dawson +2 pads, grams springs and followers this makes for a total of 21 in the mag and 1 in the gun and they all function flawlessly( back when I shot them :P ) Good Luck

Hopalong

I have a Dawson brass (heavy) magwell that is hardchromed and it works great. The chrome seems to make it slipperier that the regular alum. one. You only loose about 1/8 to 1/4 of grip area but you do get the "bumbell" feel which I feel help with control. As far a fit all you have to do is drive out the mainspring pin, slip it on and replace with the longer pin. I works with Arredondo and of course Dawson basepads.

Shipster,

I have a P16-40 LTD and have and Ed Brown on it, the Dawson base pads work fine on it.( I use Para magazines with Dawson +2 pads, grams springs and followers this makes for a total of 21 in the mag and 1 in the gun and they all function flawlessly( back when I shot them :P ) Good Luck

Hopalong

hell sam that sounds illegal! do you have a mm measuring tool? the max is 140mm. cheater! no wonder you went to revolver! :D

lynn

I have S&A on both my Paras. One I did and one I had done when I had the gun built. I have a fairly large hand, but it has never been a problem for me.

If I were doing it over? I mighthave George at EGW install his magwell. Looks real nice and seems to fit very well.

One bit of advice if you install your own, Cut long and file to fit, don't even try to get it right on the first pass. Leave a few thou! I'd say that even with a mill, I did mine with a Dremel and a file. Patience is the order of the day.

The S&A works with Standard Para, Para+2, Grams and Dawson base pads.

The standard Para of course are way up in there, but they do fit.

Jim

I have the Dawson Ice on mine. As near as I can tell the Para grips were not modified to accept the magwell. All aftermarket grips I have required modification however so it is likely that Dawson did mod my original Para grips. It doesn't take but 10 minutes with a Dremel or 30 minutes with files.

I love the Ice but there are those that despise it because it is so big. As in, no way would my Para with the Ice work as a carry gun. I just figured this was an excuse to get another gun so it didn't slow me down one bit. The Ice is so huge that mucking up a reload is next to impossible. It is however, quite possible to get most of a mag and most of your index finger into the magwell during a botched reload. I have found that this requires copious swearing and a few bandaids to remedy.

The other plus of the Ice is the replaceable poly inserts when your magwell gets too bunged up due to too many mag changes in dry fire you just pop out the old and pop in a new one. Viola! New magwell. :)

Guest Larry Cazes

I have a Dawson tuned P14-45 with their standard magwell that works very well. The frame needed some blending which is expected. Works great with Dawson +2 pads as well.

I have the EGW "drop-in." It works okay, but except for a couple of exceptions, I am limited to using mags that have been modified by filing angles on the basepads to match the angle on the magwell(including stock Para mags). Those old aluminum basepads you used to be able to get at Denny's & Brownells work fine, both the hollow +1 and the flat, but I don't know where to get them anymore. Mec-Gar 10rd-ers work too, but you have to use your thumb to seat them.

If I had it to do over and I had the money, I'd go with the S&A (full). My brother's Para had one fit properly by our FLG and it absolutely rocks. It's not as big as some others, but it's plenty big enough, and it accomodates just about any basepad. It's also unobtrusive enough to still carry the thing if you have the need.

The Dawson Ice magwell works on the P16 without any modification to the gun or the stock grips. The Para stock 10 round mags will not fit without modifying the base pad. Dawson +2 bases on the Para hi-cap tubes work without modification.

You probably lose a little grip length with the Ice magwell, but it gives a nice shelf to support your hands. This then forces your grip to be high on the gun if you have big hands.

Thanks everybody I talked to Run-n-Gun yesterday afternoon and he convenced me to hold out he wants one more crack at the Ed Brown before I order the DP. Again thanks for all of the Great Info. If anybody has anything to add I'm still all ears..... or eyes :)

I've got the S&A on my Para and it works just fine.

I really think it's more learning the right technique than it is the size of the mag well. If you nail the reload it makes little difference if you even have a magwell. If you miss very very slightly the mag well can salvage an average reload, if you miss bigger a mag well will still not help to salvage the reload time.

To put this in time perspective a nailed reload (where you hit the hole with no "net") can give you a slightly sub 1 second reload. One a little off will still cost you up to 1.5 seconds as the mag rubs going in. It's 2 seconds or above if you miss big and the magwell has to "redirect" the mag into the well.

The S&A is a good magwell and the Dawson Ice or other larger wells are only really usefull if you are off target more than not.

The S&S was easy to put on my Para and it looks fine. The size of the grip is still very generous - more than some of my open guns.

Put your P16 on ICE! . . . . Dawson ICE ! !

Dawson ice magwell and +2 basepads all the way.

It's fast and easy. They fit and function perfectly. I love mine ! :P

You loose a small amount of the grip area. But, no machining. With the hammer

down, knockout the mainspring housing pin. push the DP Ice in place and insert

the new pin. I had it on two different guns without filing or fitting. BTW shooters

connection sells Dawsons cheaper than Dawson (go figure).

I have a Dawson Ice Magwell on both my Para's and had the Dawson(solid slideon) basepads but they contributed to breaking the plastic base on the 10 round mag. I have switched over to Viper basepads with caps and have had ZERO problems since. The Vipers are cnc machined as far as I know and are available here in Canada. Well I only have one Para that works right now :(

http://www.vipercompetition.netfirms.com/

Well I ordered the DP Ice on the 21st from Chuck at Shooters and got it last night. Thanks L1011 for clueing me on shooters price. 20 minutes after I opened the box I had it on. Man it fits like a glove. I have 3 of the Para +2 mags and 2 mags with the Arredondoe +2 and I'm going to have to do some trimming to get them to seat. The Ice came with instructions on how to do the mod's so that should be pretty easy. It does fee better then I thought it would, but there is a definite difference in the feel.

Thanks for all of the input. I think it's going to work. :)

Steve

Hey Steve,

I'm glad it worked out for you. Before you hack up the Arredondo pads. Sell

them to someone who has no magwell on their gun (or another brand that works

with Arredondo). Then put the cash towards Dawson Base pads. No mods :D

required. The best reason to own DP pads is the speed at witch you can disassemble

and clean/repair your mag in the middle of a match.

Mike