Length- 12 inches

Weight- 1.5 lbs

Eye relief- 3.7 inches

Scope body- Hard anodized 6061 T-6 Aluminum

Field of view- 83.25 feet 1x/100 yards 10.75 feet 8x/100 yards

MSRP $1995.00-$2650.00

The Swarovski field of view is

127.5 feet on 1x

Field of view may be the most important factor for 3 gun or for dangerous game. Your eyes drive the gun and so what you see determines how fast you can drive the gun to the target. Often the ability to see the next target in the scope and move directly to it can make a big difference in speed. Field of view affects the speed of initial target acquisition, target transitions, and re-acquisition. Field of view literally translates into how much you can see through the scope. The Z6i is unmatched by any other scope on the market for field of view with an astounding 127.5 feet at 100 yards

The Vortex field of view on 1x is 115.2 feet

The Leupold 1-6 is 105.8 on 1x So the USO 1-8 is really bad at 83.2 compared to 127.5. That is a huge difference.

Pat

http://www.westernshooter.com/2011/08/swarovski-1-6x24-z6i-brt-review.html

Edited by Alaskapopo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any one of these scopes is capable of winning any 3 gun match. The Swaro might be the most popular. The Vortex, the best value. The Leupold is the only true mil spec scope and has a great warranty.

Pick one, zero it, practice, check your zero. Win matches.

No offense against the Leupold as they make a good product but who the heck cares if its mill spec or not. Also I am not aware of any military units using a 1-6 Leupold. Could be wrong I guess. Vortex also has a lifetime no BS warranty.

Pat

You're right Pat, you're not aware of any military units using the Leupold 1-6X.

Horner is beating everyone currently with a Leupold Mk6 1-6X and before that he was beating everyone with a Swaro 1-6X, and before that a S&B 1-4X. Before that a Leupold 1.5-5X. Somehow I don't think it was the scope.

Once again, any of these scopes is capable of winning any 3 gun match.

Any one of these scopes is capable of winning any 3 gun match. The Swaro might be the most popular. The Vortex, the best value. The Leupold is the only true mil spec scope and has a great warranty.

Pick one, zero it, practice, check your zero. Win matches.

No offense against the Leupold as they make a good product but who the heck cares if its mill spec or not. Also I am not aware of any military units using a 1-6 Leupold. Could be wrong I guess. Vortex also has a lifetime no BS warranty.

Pat

You're right Pat, you're not aware of any military units using the Leupold 1-6X.

Then enlighten us please share or is it top secret squirrel stuff? You can't really call something mil spec as a selling point and then withhold the information that proves that it is. Being Mil Spec does not always mean its better. A JP rifle is not mil spec but I will take one over any mil spec Colt M4 any day. I used to have a huge buy in for the mil spec title. But now not so much. Yes its mostly the shooter but we use equipment that gives us the edge. Some scopes are better than others. I would never use a 1.5-5 Leupold again but at one time that was the scope to have. If I was sponsored by a scope company I would plug their products any time I could as well. Leupold does make good scopes.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

My concern for the number of cranks a scope can withstand comes from owning a $1600 scope 4 years while I was shooting tacops that failed. It wasn't a hunting scope that sits in the safe and used several times a year. I had it on the range practicing several times a month and at several 3g events each month. During the third season of use the scope failed during a local match. It would only focus on 4x. When dialed to 1.1 or 8 it went out of focus. Like many other 3gun'rs I put a lever on the scope to help crank it from 1.1 - 8 on a regular basis. 1600 is 1600 right...lol The scope manufacturer wanted it back and I was sent a new one however that didn't solve the issue. Cry once, cry again when it fails.

Edited by Sterling White

3 gun is about the hardest sport there is on scopes and mounts. Scopes often have to travel thousands of miles to a three gun match where they get tossed into barrels and as Sterling well notes get cranked up and down the power range. Most shooters display little gentleness when doing so which is really hard on scopes.

My point about mil spec is that The Leupold Mark 6 and 8 lines are developed for military use and are tough which is a desirable feature. They are being used by the military but does not necessarily make them good 3 gun scopes. They shot bin Laden which a HK 416, something which you would not catch me 3 gunning with. The Mk 6 is a scope designed for military use and happens to be a great 3 gun scope. The Swaro was designed for hunting and happens to be a great 3 gun scope. The Vortex was designed to be a 3 gun scopeand guess what it is a great 3 gun scope.

The military guys I know are much gentler, and kinder to their firearms than the average 3gunner. Had a sniper call me a liar when I told him I threw my rifle in barrels, had to show him video, then he called me stupid. I did not make his day when my come back was, "if you baby your stuff, how will you know it will work if it does get banged up?"

My concern for the number of cranks a scope can withstand comes from owning a $1600 scope 4 years while I was shooting tacops that failed. It wasn't a hunting scope that sits in the safe and used several times a year. I had it on the range practicing several times a month and at several 3g events each month. During the third season of use the scope failed during a local match. It would only focus on 4x. When dialed to 1.1 or 8 it went out of focus. Like many other 3gun'rs I put a lever on the scope to help crank it from 1.1 - 8 on a regular basis. 1600 is 1600 right...lol The scope manufacturer wanted it back and I was sent a new one however that didn't solve the issue. Cry once, cry again when it fails.

So what was the issue, a defect in the scope or a lever added to a scope that may not have been designed for such a device? Why do you feel the new scope will not fare any better, has it failed again?

I've got a full season on my Leupy MK6 1-6. I'm happy with it.

In the beginning, I sometimes noticed the reticle "flickering" on 1x when casually looking through the scope. I never notice it when shooting. Consitent cheekweld seems to be the key.

The FFP solves a personal training issue for me. I now remember to dial up the power when needed. Of course if I forget or fail to get the ring all the way to the top of the power range, my hold overs aren't sending rounds into the next county. :surprise:

I have the TMR reticle. A little busy on 6x but entirely useable.

So what was the issue, a defect in the scope or a lever added to a scope that may not have been designed for such a device? Why do you feel the new scope will not fare any better, has it failed again?

After the first failure I ran the replacement for a little while but didn't really trust the scope anymore. The manufacturer didn't say what the problem was but I'm guessing they didn't count on the amount of abuse the scope was taking. So... It was about that same time when Kurt M convinced me to jump into limited and go racing. I made the decision to shoot the Prismatic 1x. I ask the question to see if anyone really knows.

Edited by Sterling White

I've got a full season on my Leupy MK6 1-6. I'm happy with it.

In the beginning, I sometimes noticed the reticle "flickering" on 1x when casually looking through the scope. I never notice it when shooting. Consitent cheekweld seems to be the key.

The FFP solves a personal training issue for me. I now remember to dial up the power when needed. Of course if I forget or fail to get the ring all the way to the top of the power range, my hold overs aren't sending rounds into the next county. :surprise:

I have the TMR reticle. A little busy on 6x but entirely useable.

That is the main issue I have heard with the 1-6 Leupold but I have not shot one. A good bright illumination that does not disappear is critical for me. On another forum several owners were complaining about this. I hope they get the issue fixed. I am well aware the 3-18 models in the MK 6 line are being used and popular with the military but I was not aware any where using the 1-6. I kind of want the 3-18 for my .223 precision rifle but damn they are spendy.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

That is the main issue I have heard with the 1-6 Leupold but I have not shot one. A good bright illumination that does not disappear is critical for me. On another forum several owners were complaining about this. I hope they get the issue fixed.

Pat

Not sure this is really an "issue" that needs a fix. The dot doesn't really "flicker", it's always there. Consistent cheekweld and the dot is always there. It's a lot like some red dots on an open gun, hard to find the first couple of times you bring the gun up to eye level. Once you develop a consistent hold the dot is always there.

I'd like to look at the USO with the dot in the second focal plane and the reticle in the FFP. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Of course the USO option is almost another 1k. I've got right at $1,600 in the leupy.

That is the main issue I have heard with the 1-6 Leupold but I have not shot one. A good bright illumination that does not disappear is critical for me. On another forum several owners were complaining about this. I hope they get the issue fixed.

Pat

Not sure this is really an "issue" that needs a fix. The dot doesn't really "flicker", it's always there. Consistent cheekweld and the dot is always there. It's a lot like some red dots on an open gun, hard to find the first couple of times you bring the gun up to eye level. Once you develop a consistent hold the dot is always there.

I'd like to look at the USO with the dot in the second focal plane and the reticle in the FFP. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Of course the USO option is almost another 1k. I've got right at $1,600 in the leupy.

I really need to play with one before I buy it. It depends on how perfect your cheekweld has to be. I would want the scope to be easy to use even with a less than perfect cheekweld. That is a flaw in my opinion. But again I would have to see how much of an issue it really is.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really digging the us optics and with a 1900 price tag it's sitting right in the middle of the price field from the vortex to the Swarovski. And it's FFP with the dot, 1-8 power and I like the reticle. Definitely want to get my hands on one of these for sure, just need to get the coin together.

I'm referring to the C2 reticle on this one, I believe one of the other reticle options is prices higher for some reason and it's much busier especially for 3-gun

Edited by Akkid17

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you guys are getting your prices? The USO SR-8C is $2495 everywhere as far as I can find. The best deal I've seen on the Leupold Mark 6 with the CMR-w 5.56 reticle is $1,565 but everywhere else was closer to $1950. Makes me think the $1,565 one is counterfeit!

I'm shopping for new glass right now so this whole discussion is pretty valuable to me. I'm thinking I should wait until January to buy and see if the USO SR-8M gets out - dual illumination sounds pretty trick!

Chris,

i may be shooting tomorrow. Come talk with me. I might be able to get you a deal.

The shot show is coming up soon, I suspect that is going to have an effect on prices.

pjb

Would love to see you Paul - hope you can make it out.

I'd point out that the USO has two "different" 1-8's. One with an illuminated reticle that isn't day light visible and one with a day light visible red dot.

Just like the Swaro has an illuminated version and a cheaper non-illuminated version.

The USO 1-8's that you are seeing that is in the $1,800 range is probably the version without the day light visible red dot.

I don't know if it's cool that the optiics industry is startig to cater to 3 gun or not? First is was 1-4 then 1-6 and now looks like it's 1-8? I'll never be good enough to think that spending more for a swaro will give me an edge to win but on the other hand I'm not sure I'd be happy going cheap and having bad glass. Therefore I'm in the middle with the Vortex as my vote.

I don't know if it's cool that the optiics industry is startig to cater to 3 gun or not? First is was 1-4 then 1-6 and now looks like it's 1-8? I'll never be good enough to think that spending more for a swaro will give me an edge to win but on the other hand I'm not sure I'd be happy going cheap and having bad glass. Therefore I'm in the middle with the Vortex as my vote.

Vortex is great glass as you know. Their 1-6 Razor has great glass I can't tell a difference in image clarity between my Razor and my Swaro.

Pat