Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1-6x: Leupold, Swaro or Razor?

I have handled the Leupold at SHOT, but I've read a few poor reviews on it for gaming use. I should have one here in a few weeks to try out and I'll do a write up on it after I've put enough rounds through it to have an educated opinion on it. I remember being impressed with the size and weight of it at the show.

• Can you elaborate about the bad reviews at all? Sorry if I'm hijacking this older thread, but it's identical to my questions.
I'm making a similar decision to the OP between vortex, Swaro, and Mark 6 1-6x scopes. I'm not liking the Swarovski due to cost and inferior warranty to Vortex; I'm not familiar with Leupold's warranty. I am comfortable playing $1500 for vortex, but the $2000-2500 for Mark 6 of Swaro would hurt more if it's not worth it. I'm working a ton of overtime right now and I could torture myself by working more, so a Swaro is possible and on the table. The higher cost just deters me. The lighter Mark 6 / Swaro weight is a huge advantage for me personally since I'm not what you would call built. The Leupold CMR-W 5.56 reticule seems superior to the Vortex since it factors in wind; I don't like the Vortex reticule. I'm very happy with my Mark 4 on my .308 bolt gun.

• Swaro owners, is the thing rugged? The big worry for me is that the scope isn't as rugged as the Vortex for the much higher cost. The better reticule and lower weight are huge pros. I plan to cover the scope under my personal articles insurance, but I still don't want to have to deal with it breaking.
  • Is the Leupold "wide circle" / horse shoe better than a red dot for close in fast shooting?
  • Op did you end up buying a scope? How do you like it?

Demo model. Good price:

http://www.samplelist.com/Swarovski-1-6x24-Z6i-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P66875.aspx

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have handled the Leupold at SHOT, but I've read a few poor reviews on it for gaming use. I should have one here in a few weeks to try out and I'll do a write up on it after I've put enough rounds through it to have an educated opinion on it. I remember being impressed with the size and weight of it at the show.
  • Can you elaborate about the bad reviews at all? Sorry if I'm hijacking this older thread, but it's identical to my questions.

I'm making a similar decision to the OP between vortex, Swaro, and Mark 6 1-6x scopes. I'm not liking the Swarovski due to cost and inferior warranty to Vortex; I'm not familiar with Leupold's warranty. I am comfortable playing $1500 for vortex, but the $2000-2500 for Mark 6 of Swaro would hurt more if it's not worth it. I'm working a ton of overtime right now and I could torture myself by working more, so a Swaro is possible and on the table. The higher cost just deters me. The lighter Mark 6 / Swaro weight is a huge advantage for me personally since I'm not what you would call built. The Leupold CMR-W 5.56 reticule seems superior to the Vortex since it factors in wind; I don't like the Vortex reticule. I'm very happy with my Mark 4 on my .308 bolt gun.

• Swaro owners, is the thing rugged? The big worry for me is that the scope isn't as rugged as the Vortex for the much higher cost. The better reticule and lower weight are huge pros. I plan to cover the scope under my personal articles insurance, but I still don't want to have to deal with it breaking.
  • Is the Leupold "wide circle" / horse shoe better than a red dot for close in fast shooting?
  • Op did you end up buying a scope? How do you like it?

Sorry, I just saw your question here. I have both the US SR8c and the Leupold MK6 on rifles right now. I view my gaming rifles a lot like golf clubs, I have a 5 iron and a driver!

The Leupold is light weight, compact and I really like it overall. It sits on my lightweight gun with a 16" upper that I use for fast courses of fire that aren't long range rifle intensive. The negative reviews have been on the finicky illumination and some folks find the eyebox unforgiving. I have neither of those issues. I spent a good bit of time setting the scope up right and adjusting the ocular for my eyes. The illumination at magnification does flicker off if you are not lined up correctly behind the scope. Personally, I like have grown to like it. If I'm shooting 10 inch plates at 100 yards, I don't need to be perfect behind the scope. If I'm shooting 10 inch plates at 450 yards, I pay attention to it and it pays off. I like the BDC reticle and it is a close match for my 77grain loads. I use iStrelok and have no complaints.

The USO SR8c is a great scope too, it's on a 18" JP CTR01. I use it for matches that are long range intensive. I just got the version with the RWF reticle and it's a well thought out design. I haven't used it (with this reticle) in a match yet, but I think it will do very well. The scope itself is larger and heavier, but it's on a heavier gun and doesn't make that much of a difference overall in the balance. The ability to go up to 8x is welcome on the long range stuff, but the FOV gets pretty small at that magnification.

Both scopes are FFP, which I prefer. I'll shoot at 4x pretty often so I can speed my transitions up a bit and it's nice to know my holds are still correct. They both have a daylight visible red dot and I haven't encountered a situation yet where the dot wasn't bright enough. I'm lucky to have both and be able to choose between the two based on the match. Honestly, either would be great for any match, but I would give a slight edge on low power/ fast shooting to the Leupold and a slight edge for longer range work in favor of the USO.

I've shot most of the scopes out there now and honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them. Defense contract requirements have really helped insure some quantum leaps in mid-range optic tech over the last couple of years and there are some pretty favorable contracts in the wings right now that will further benefit the game.

Try what you can, decide what is important to you and make a leap! Any of the scopes you've mentioned will be well suited for the game. The link that Doug posted above is a smoking deal on a Swaro! You'd be getting into a Swaro for just a little over what you can get a Vortex for, that's worth jumping on!

There are a few of the "Pros" who stopped using Swaros because they broke too often, so make sure you do your research. I could not manage having two in case one broke.

If you happen to know the answer, can you say to which scope those "pros" went after they stopped using Swaros?

Go with Leupold man. They support the sport and us in the .mil. They hooked us up on my last two deployments, for that I am forever loyal.

With that said, I dont have a MK6 but I do have a VXR 1-4 and its plenty visable in daylight w/SPR reticle 2.5mil subtensions for wind.

I have the new USOptics SR8C with a bright daylight visible red dot (Much brighter than Vortex and Swarovski Z6s) with a reticle specifically designed for 3Gun matches.

Best scope I've used for an AR.

post-2813-0-40100100-1384364803_thumb.jp

Edited by 01 Z06

I have the new USOptics SR8C with a bright daylight visible red dot (Much brighter than Vortex and Swarovski Z6s) with a reticle specifically designed for 3Gun matches.

Best scope I've used for an AR.

I looked on the website and didn't see that reticle. What's it called? It does look good.

There are a few of the "Pros" who stopped using Swaros because they broke too often, so make sure you do your research. I could not manage having two in case one broke.

Been using my Swaro fairly hard with no issues the last 3 years or so. The one I had before that held up fine as well.

Pat

Any one of these scopes is capable of winning any 3 gun match. The Swaro might be the most popular. The Vortex, the best value. The Leupold is the only true mil spec scope and has a great warranty.

Pick one, zero it, practice, check your zero. Win matches.

Cranks? Whos a crank?

Looks like a good deal on a Gen 1 Swaro 1-6 BRT in the classifieds: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185324#entry2045955

Doug

I can think of a few :roflol:

My question is in regards to the number of times the scope can withstand being switched from 1x to partial or full value and back before breaking?

Cranks? Whos a crank?

Looks like a good deal on a Gen 1 Swaro 1-6 BRT in the classifieds: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185324#entry2045955

Doug

I can think of a few :roflol:

My question is in regards to the number of times the scope can withstand being switched from 1x to partial or full value and back before breaking?

Is that even a concern? I have 3x9s that have been switched thousands of times...

Buy a UsOptics made in the USA , cry once when you pay for it than you will be smiling every time you shoot. I have several USOs and never had one break. Even on my Barret M82a with over 2000 rds fired. I've been using them for over 10 years with zero issues. And i am not a sponsored shooter, i just like to use the best equipment out there.

The 3gun retcicle for the Uso 1-8 scope is called R W F.

I designed it specifically for 3 gun matches.

Edited by 01 Z06

Buy a UsOptics made in the USA , cry once when you pay for it than you will be smiling every time you shoot. I have several USOs and never had one break. Even on my Barret M82a with over 2000 rds fired. I've been using them for over 10 years with zero issues. And i am not a sponsored shooter, i just like to use the best equipment out there.

The 3gun retcicle for the Uso 1-8 scope is called R W F. I designed it specifically for 3 gun matches. I do have a brand new in box SR8c with this reticle for sale. $2300 shipped

If any one id interested call me 7143348676

With respect US Optics has had their share of issues for being as expensive as a scope company as they are. A friend of mine ahs their 1.8-10 on a precision AR and he has had some issues he had to work out with the factory so you can not claim a buy once cry once with these guys. More like buy once cry and then cry again while you get it working as it should have from the start. I am interested in the 1-8 but I don't plan on dumping my Swaro or Vortex 1-6 any time soon. Also I believe your supposed to keep your adds in the classified sections not in the technical forums.

Edited by Alaskapopo

I was speaking of my own personal experience with Usoptics. I own just about every model they make (several different Sn3s ,sn4, sn9, sr8c) and none of my scopes have had any issues. They have been perfect since i bought them. I understand that some people have had problems with their Usoptics, but so are other people with other high end brands out there. These are hand made scopes made one at a time and people make mistakes. But my experience has been great with Usoptics scopes and their customer service. I have had a chance to shoot Vortex, S&B short dots and Swarovski Z6i and i feel that none of these come close to the new Sr8c. I strongly recomend Usoptics over any other brand out there. Thats my opinion and you are entitled to your opinion.

Any one of these scopes is capable of winning any 3 gun match. The Swaro might be the most popular. The Vortex, the best value. The Leupold is the only true mil spec scope and has a great warranty.

Pick one, zero it, practice, check your zero. Win matches.

No offense against the Leupold as they make a good product but who the heck cares if its mill spec or not. Also I am not aware of any military units using a 1-6 Leupold. Could be wrong I guess. Vortex also has a lifetime no BS warranty.

Pat

I was speaking of my own personal experience with Usoptics. I own just about every model they make (several different Sn3s ,sn4, sn9, sr8c) and none of my scopes have had any issues. They have been perfect since i bought them. I understand that some people have had problems with their Usoptics, but so are other people with other high end brands out there. These are hand made scopes made one at a time and people make mistakes. But my experience has been great with Usoptics scopes and their customer service. I have had a chance to shoot Vortex, S&B short dots and Swarovski Z6i and i feel that none of these come close to the new Sr8c. I strongly recomend Usoptics over any other brand out there. Thats my opinion and you are entitled to your opinion.

Nothing against US optics and the 1-8 they came out with looks interesting. But its way too soon to say its better. For starters the field of view is smaller than many of the scopes mentioned and its heavier than most. We all have opinions and the fact the Swaro and Vortex are the most popular high end scopes in the game right now says a lot. If you own every model US Optics makes I am jealous as you must be making some good coin at your job or are sponsored by them. For the record I am considering the 1-8 for my SCAR 17 seems like the extra magnification would be a good match to a .308 semi auto. Also I doubt the new US optics has a brighter reticle than the Vortex or the Swaro as both are very bright and easily seen on the brightest Texas sunny days. You can only get so bright before its a non issue as your burning out your retna's.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

How did you figure out the US Optics 1-8 has a lower field of view than the other scopes at 1-6X?

Read it in a review when I was about to purchase one. Still considering one for my SCAR 17 either that or another Vortex 1-6. But the funds have to be diverted to buying another open pistol first. So I have time to do more research.

Pat

I am not sponsored by Uso. I pay regular price just like everyone else. I am just a regular guy that likes to use the best equipment i can afford.

The field of view at max power on the Uso is smaller because is 8 power compared to 6 power on the other ones. At 1 power it feels like an ampoint scope. Excellent for hosing! These other scopes are excellent but i think the Uso is better in my opnion.