Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about fast draw technique

Jeremiah

I just watch "shooting fast and accurately" by Lenny M. In that video, there is a section that times each of the top shooters from the holster to a shot. Most of the guys are incredibly fast. I believe the Benos was one if not the fastest. Anyway...

Are these guys flipping the thumb safety off between the shot and the holster?

I don't shoot IPSC much at all (there is none around here) and am mostly an IDPA shooter, so I was just wandering if the grip safety is used all the time or not in IPSC or not.

Also, on a side note. I have read some of Brian's stuff about the grip. He says that you need to keep your thumbs off of the gun. Does that mean that I need to flip my thumb safety off and then take my thumb off of it?

Thanks.

Since most of us shoot with our thumb resting on the safety, it's no big deal to push it down at any point when it's safe to do so. It takes zero extra time. Mine is usually "off" as I'm getting the muzzle pointed downrange, but I'm not very fast!

It just comes off as the gun is drawn, well before the finger gets on the trigger.

That is exactly it. The safety being clicked off is just a part of my draw now. You have to start with it on, but I don't even give any thought to disengaging it anymore. It "just happens."

In IPSC, holstering a single action pistol without the safety on will get you DQ'd. Competitors switch the safety off as part of the draw, as the muzzle is presented to the target.

My strong hand thumb stays on top of the safety, and my weak thumb is forward, along the frame. Neither thumb puts much pressure on the gun, but they both touch it. I think "most" people do it that way, and I see many open guns with a little thumb rest for the weak thumb, mounted on the scope mount.

DogmaDog

safety on and holstered, look at the spot you want to shoot at and draw the pistol. with your strong hand. the support hand meets the strong hand about center of your tummy or a little higher up, safety is then disengaged and you should see periphally your front site

drive that front site to the part of the target you are looking at, trigger then enters the trigger guard and take up the pretravel.

when the front site is aligned and an acceptable site picture is established, press the trigger and fire the shot.

long process but with practice, 10 yard alphas in less than a second is easy,

good luck

I have read some of Brian's stuff about the grip. He says that you need to keep your thumbs off of the gun. Does that mean that I need to flip my thumb safety off and then take my thumb off of it?

The important thing is to keep your support-hand thumb off the frame because it will tend to apply unneeded sideways pressure, especially if you're overly tense. As far as the strong hand thumb, just leave it where it is after taking off the safety.

be

Dogma Dog,

I have not read the new rule book yet. But during a course of fire I believe you are allowed to holster your gun and unholster it.

I am not sure of what you meant by getting DQ'D. Could you explain it a little more.

tks

Not DD but here goes: If you elect to holster a handgun during a course of fire, you must apply the safety if it's a single-action pistol or you must apply the safety if it's a double action pistol with the hammer cocked, prior to holstering. Yuo also may not holster a revolver with the hammer cocked. The relevant rules are (US 14th editition 2001) 10.3.13.1, 2, and 3; (IPSC Handgun Rules 2004) 10.5.11.1, 2, and 3.

Basically they call for a match DQ if you holster a firearm with the hammer cocked and the safety not applied.

I have a question from a C class shooter, if while grabbing my 1911 from the holster I accidently bump the safety off, should I stop and push it back on before finishing the draw?

George

George,

I'd say it depends on how comfortable you are with keeping your finger off the trigger until you're up on target...... but then I mostly shoot a Glock....

Yeah, what others have said. You may reholster your firearm during the course of fire in the same condition as you holstered it at "Load and Make Ready"--with the safety on for a 1911.

George: To be honest, I suspect many people flick off their safeties "early" in the draw, without any notice whatsoever by ROs, other shooters, or even themselves. Ideally, the muzzle should be levelling off on the target when the safety goes off, and you oughta practice doing that, but I think by the time you were able to correct an early safety off, it would be time to take it off anyway!

Practice doing it the right way, and don't worry about it at a match.

DogmaDog

[Merged topics]

I have been shooting Production for a while but just got a really nice STI Open gun and want to start shooting Open.

In a match, when the RO says LAMR, you do that, and holster the gun....does the safety have to be on or not? If yes, what are some tips as to how to disengage it upon drawing so it doesn't take too long to get the first shot off?

In Production I shot a Glock 34 so didn't have to deal with manual safeties.

Thanks for any tips.

Edited by Flexmoney