Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Recommendations for 9mm CZ

J_Clan

After drooling for years, I've finally picked up my CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom from CZC. Now I could use some help with proven loads for my new baby. I currently only shoot a local steel match (TNS) so power factor isn't a huge deal, although I would like to transitioni into some USPSA matches in time. Also, I have 8lbs of Titegroup and 4 pounds of Power Pistol on hand and would like to use them if possible with powder being so hard to come by these days.

So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Jclan

Edited by J_Clan

if you are looking to buy those too, then here is my current load

TG 2.5 - 2.8 gr

OAL 1.150

Bayou Bullet 160 gr

Fed SPP

Range brass

2.5 runs it just fine and is what i use for steel, i haven't had a chance to chrono it yet and think it will be under 125 PF but not by much, it will need a little more to make PF, if i get a chance to chrono this weekend i will post the results, a lot of the guys on here have gone to a 9 lb recoil spring too, others like anywhere from an 8 lb-11 lb recoil spring, instead of buying all of them i bought a 9 and 11 and figured i can always fine tune from there if necessary

hope this helps

Gator - I will likely be shooting Laredo lead because they are local and I can get a reliable supply. I'm open to various sizes. I've heard that CZ's tend to like the mid-weights, 124-130gr. But your saying 160gr so maybe I'm wrong on that. Are your Bayou Bullets jacketed?

Thanks for the info

I have an Accu Shadow coming and need to work up a load as well. 160gr is a heavy 9mm bullet. I was planning on shooting 124gr zeros or extremes. Anyone have opinions on what the CZ barrels like to shoot for bullets?

J

Its the bullet profile which is a problem, FMJ seem to load longest, I tried some LRN 158s today and the hit the rifling until I squished them down to 1.1". I've got some 124 CMJs loaded to 1.14" without any problems. The shoulder on a 124 JHP gave me some real trouble too.

dskinsler83 my shadow's been deep throated takes lengths out to 1.175. My favorite bullet powder combination is 135gr Bayou with 3.8gr of N320 loaded 1.145. Very accurate, I prefer it to the 147gr, which seems to hit harder in the palm. I did my own throating on my STI 9 majors just bought the Manson reamer for $40. I've done 4 now, works like a charm. On the down side I had to put a heavy main spring in due to lack of Federal Primers. Takes a good spring to set off Magtech small rifle primers.

Okay, a quick update. I've come across a few thousand 147gr zeros. Still have the 8lbs of Tightgroup. Any suggestions...?

Also I've heard CZ's like shorter AOL's, maybe it's not so much bullet weight as an AOL issue. Of course there is a balance between weight and AOL without going over-pressure with a given powder charge.

Anyone else have some input? It's all very much appreciated.

I assume dskinsler had the same Matt throat his barrel that throated mine. My go-to 9mm load is MG 124gr JHP over VV N320, loaded at about 1.18". Couldn't get that with the factory throat.

I assume dskinsler had the same Matt throat his barrel that throated mine. My go-to 9mm load is MG 124gr JHP over VV N320, loaded at about 1.18". Couldn't get that with the factory throat.

Will the magazines hold cartridges loaded to an OAL of 1.18? Is this a Shadow?

Mike

J_Clan you have to do the drop/push test. This will tell you what OAL your Barrel needs. Check out this link.

Copied from the Cz forum.

OK. The CZ 75 chambers are shorter than many other pistols. Especially JHP and Flat Nose conical shaped bullets may contact the chamber wall or rifling and may not seat (go all the way in) when they are fed.

Remove the barrel from the Shadow. Take some cartridges and just "DROP" them into the chamber with the barrel pointed down.

They should drop all the way in and make a "clink-metallic" sound when they seat. You should be able to rotate the cartridege when it's seated in the chamber. Turn the barrel up and they should "fall" out.

If they don't do this--every time, the cartridge is too long for your Shadow.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=55779.0

Edited by CZ85Combat

I have an Accu Shadow coming and need to work up a load as well. 160gr is a heavy 9mm bullet. I was planning on shooting 124gr zeros or extremes. Anyone have opinions on what the CZ barrels like to shoot for bullets?

J

I read a post from Angus Hobdell were he said CZ's like the mid-weight bullets best. He used [at the time] the 125gr Zero JHP.

Okay, a quick update. I've come across a few thousand 147gr zeros. Still have the 8lbs of Tightgroup. Any suggestions...?

Also I've heard CZ's like shorter AOL's, maybe it's not so much bullet weight as an AOL issue. Of course there is a balance between weight and AOL without going over-pressure with a given powder charge.

Anyone else have some input? It's all very much appreciated.

3.3gr Titegroup is a good place to start with any 147gr jacketed bullet. I load all my FMJ loads fairly long in my CZ 85c. The truncated cone bullets have usually have to be loaded short because of their shape.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciate everyones input. Your experience is saving me time & in this market, even more importantly valuable primers, powder & bullets!

I've come accross several pounds of Power Pistol and Winchester WST powder. Anyone have experience loading these powders with 124gr Montana Golds & 147gr Zero's to feed their 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom?

Thanks again for the valuable input