Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open up barrel to chamber lead?

I have Storm Lake conversion barrel (40-9mm) for my Glock 35. One of the reasons I bought it is to shoot lead from my Glock. (Why can't I press return to start a new paragraph?) I want to be able to shoot some reloaded rounds that works on my Para through the SL barrel. I don't want to have to load two different rounds for the two pistols. Is there a hand reamer that I can use to open up the leade so the rounds will chamber?

To answer your question---yes. It's called a throating reamer. Your best bet is

to find a gunsmith that's building open division guns---they should have one.

About two light twists is all it takes---hardly worth the $60 or so for the reamer

to do one barrel.

I'm assuming that your problem is the lead bullets run straight for a bit past

the case mouth, and the straight part is bumping the rifling? Truncated cone

bullet profile of some sort?

I'm assuming that your problem is the lead bullets run straight for a bit past

the case mouth, and the straight part is bumping the rifling? Truncated cone

bullet profile of some sort?

Yes. Truncated cone. After chambering in the SL barrel I can see two indentations in the bullet right where the bullet transitions into the cone. This reamer? http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/reamers/throating-reamers/throating-reamers-prod17633.aspx

Check with the barrel manufacturer and most times they will help ream and throat the barrel to your reload specs. Just send them some dummy reloads (no powder or primers) and they will spec the barrel to your load.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone can do it with the right tool. Takes about 5 minutes. Use some thread cutting oil and remember never turn the reamer backwards (counterclockwise). You can check the chamber with a piece of clay. Put a clay plug in the chamber. Freeze it. Tap it out. Compare to loaded round. As for amount, just enough is best. But it's not critical. Wil Schuemann or someone throated a barrel some ridiculous amount and then tested it. No difference in accuracy. Velocity is probably a different story.