Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm STI Edge Failure to extract

match308

How many rounds shot? It is a wear part the needs cleaning and or adjustment. A quick check is, take it out of the slide. Clean the slide and the extractor. It should have some tension when you re-install it. If not most likely it needs to be slightly bent again. You can do that two ways, one is easy and fast the other will cost some money. :roflol:

Cleaned it before my range trip. No idea on round count? I'm the new second owner. I replaced the previous ejector with a slightly shorter STI. I think that may be my issue. Problem is that I had 1 mag thru it before I broke the ejector.

take the slide off the gun, remove the barrel. Try to slide a case up the breach face under the extractor, if you don't feel some tension and the case won't stay in place you likely need more tension. As said above make sure the hook of the extractor is in good shape and not damaged. If you check the Brazos Custom website Bob has copies of some good articles he did for Front Sight on extractor and ejector tuning.

Edited by caspian guy

Maybe describe exactly what is happening? You getting stovepipes or is your spent brass jamming the slide?

I replaced the previous ejector with a slightly shorter STI. I think that may be my issue. Problem is that I had 1 mag thru it before I broke the ejector.

You may have found your problem. Replace your ejector with the extra long that it probably had. See if that does it.

I'll bet that it's the shorter ejector on that 9mm.

If you take the slide off, insert a full mag, you'll see that your ejector is behind the case of the top round. The problem comes into play when the slide is traveling rearward, extracting the empty case, but it needs to hit the ejector to leave the slide.

With an ejector that's shorter than the next round, as the slide clears the next round, the next round's spring tension is pushing the empty case up, thus causing it to move upward on the breech face, out of the ejector's reach, and causing it to miss the ejector.

So installing an ejector w/ a longer reach will help the eject the empty casing before the slide fully clears the next round, thus preventing it from putting upward pressure on the empty casing.

Edited by knedrgr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...