Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a 18.5" Benelli M2 too short for 3 Gun

AZGunut

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to decide between two extremes and wanted a little input. The 2 main shotguns want to use for 3 gun are a Benelli M2 Tactical with. 18.5" Barrel and Ghost Rings and a 28" Remington Versa Max. Funny thing is the weight and loading of the Benelli is much nicer to me than the Versa Max. Only issue I have had is its a bit harder to throw and remove the Versa Max from barrels fue to the overall length. Main question is how much will the shorter barrel hurt me in aerials and longer shots and overall? Any opinions will be appreciated.

your load tube only holds 8 or less rite? or the tube sticks out 3" past the end of the 18 barrel. The sights on the 18 barrel will jurt you more than any thing else. I personaly would rather stay home than shoot a gun with gost rings.

I have a 21 gun and a 24 " gun , I like the 24" gun twice as much as the 21"

having the sight farther away from my older eyes makes the sight check much better when I have to line up on a longer shot.

An old guys gumpy out look would be . - any thing an 18" shotgun is better for than a 28" shotgun , in that case a pistol is better than the 18" shotgun

And on the other side of that argument - I use an 18.5" 870 (6rd tube) with ghost rings exclusively for 3-gun, and love it. If you're consistantly finishing in the top 3 and want to move to #1, then an 18.5" probably isn't for you. If you like the handiness of a short shotgun for other areas of life and want to get out and shoot it - go for it!

I would recommend screw in chokes, regardless of your barrel length.

If you have a good selection of chokes the length of your barrel doesn't really matter.

Like Alamo said, the sights will hurt you more than anything else - but ghost rings can be shot in 3-gun. (I did it for a few years)

I wouldn't recommend anything other than a vent rib but run what you've got.

I shot an 18" M1S90 with ghost rings and changable chokes for a few years in 3 gun. I loved the way the gun felt, I even hit more flying clays with it than I did with my 24" gun the first year that I used the 24" gun. The biggest drawback to me was the velocity loss (or percieved velocity loss, I never chronoed the two) and by the time I put a competitive length mag tube on it, I had the length of a 24" arrel without the benefits of the longer barrel. I can knock steel down from farther away with the same choke and load out of my 24" gun. I have now gotten used to the vent rib and really like the sight radius also. If I were faced with the choice that you are faced with, I would compete with the gun that I liked shooting the best.

Hurley

Thanks for all of the replies. In full disclosure I also have a FNH SLP MK1 in 22", but haven't got it to run 100% yet. I guess the main draw to the Benelli is its simplicity, plus I have only really shot one match with the Versa Max, but have had a couple of hiccups with it. The Benelli has a plus six Nordic tube on it so the overall length is probably about what a 23-24" barrel would be. I do have a Briley LM and IC extended choke for the benelli as well. I have a friend who shot his 18.5" M1S90 at th SMM3G match this last weekend and he had a bunch of issues with small plates with birdshot and the heavy plates with buckshot.

AZ gunut, I started out with a 18.5 M2 tactical. I had some issues with some longer shots on steel, but I mostly ran the factory Mod choke.

As others have said if that is what gets you out shooting 3 gun then run it ( until you can upgrade ).

I'm running a 21" M2 now and I'm glad I made the switch , and the 3" longer barrel did make a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I run an 18.5" M2 tactical and a Nordic extension allowing me to hold ten rounds. I have had no problems with this combination. I did have some work done, including swapping the front sight out for a fiber optic dot, which helps a lot. For bird targets I don't really look at the ghost ring; when I get to buck or slugs, I use the rear sight and the gun is dead-nuts accurate out to 75+ yards (tested on a zeroing range; I've hit match targets at 100 yards) with any choke from Skeet to Light Full that I have tried.

I ran a Benelli M1 18.5" with Ghost Rings for about 5 years. It was alittle slower than a vent rib but it was death on slugs. I did have the lifter welder by C-rums but nothing else. I now run a Salient 21" M2 and love it. I also have a M2 being worked on by RAS. I do miss the 18.5" on car stages.

Run a 28 inch gun here with a tube past the end of the Gun and love it with a fixed mod choke. I have a flush tube and a 22 inch with chokes also. I come from a skeet background so I'm use to heavy shotguns and like the extra weight and length. Sights are a personal preference but I definately prefer a vent rib. Then a smooth barrel with a bead post on the end and rifle sights and ghost ring very far last. Heck I would even take a bead over a red dot

Edited by EkuJustice