Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Front Sight

Indiana James

Like/Don't Like really isn't the issue. The issue is whether they help *you*.

I just ditched my fiber for standard notch and post sights because for whatever reason, the fiber messes with my focus now. Put a serrated, black FS on, and bingo, I'm back shooting A's when I'm in the mood now.

Really, the only way to evaluate them is to try them and see what your scores do. Opinions of others mean squat when it comes to seeing what you need to see.

I'm with Eric. Try things out. I found that a fiber optic, while quick, wasn't as accurate for me. The fiber overwhelmed the picture...which meant that I didn't line up the actual post with the notch.

We had quite a few posts on this in the past. A search might pull something up.

I recently switched to a limited gun with a FO sight, from a L10 gun with a plain black sight.

My FO has the smaller .040" fiber optic, and I really like it. I feel it's easier to track the front sight now, and my splits, especially in something like a bill drill, are faster.

On the other hand, it works poorly on an indoor range, and the gun itself is substantially different from my L10 gun. 6" barrel vs 5", tungsten guiderod vs. stainless, single stack vs widebody.

Not a controlled experiment.

These days I'm also thinking that a green fiber optic jumps out at me more than a red one.

MColiver is right about the "trick of the day".

DogmaDog

IJ,

I shot with a Dawson .090" fiber optic front sight for about 5 years. I progressed from C class to Master (in Limited) and then my progress basically slowed to a snails pace. That was the point where I switched to a serated front black .100" front and that seemed to 'do the trick' for me. I've been using the plain sight for about 2 years now and haven't looked back. Call it the placebo effect if you want, it really doesn't matter. I seem to see a better, less busy, more clear, sight picture. I'm not knocking fiber optics, it's really a matter of trying different things and using what works for you. (I know you already knew that, duh...) :D

Regards,

Todd

The width of the blade and the size of the fiber optic rod are probably more important than anything once you have opted for a FO. Some shooters prefer a huge dot and think it is fast. While I use a FO in Limited, Production, and Revolver, I prefer a small dot, preferably recessed. This allows use of the blade in low light, like indoors, but is bright and noticeable outside. This combination allows the blade to be used for longer, more precise shots, and the dot alone for closer work.

Installation is the key. The Dawson will fit inside the recess of the blade and stay there if cut properly before melted, and that is what I use. I have .090, but the new .100 is worth a look. The Brazos Micro Dot has a viewing window instead of the recess. This is a much cleaner picture than their Lightning Rod.

I recently shot a borrowed gun in a match with a large dot, and it confused the hell out of me on the first sight picture, but after that I didn't even notice it. Someone once posted that there is a lot of hype about sights considering it could fall off and you wouldn't notice it for several shots.

If you look at some of these combinations on different guns at the next match, and maybe try them on a target or two, then you will have a better idea if any appeal to you more than others. I hope this helps.

I like a fiber optic, but a small one. The larger dots do overwhelm a site picture, that is, you've a glowing beach ball on the end of your slide and its difficult to get a CLEAR focus of that.

For my eyes at least the smaller 0.040 fiber optic rod seems to be both quick and clean.

Much of this may have to do with age/eyesight of the individual.

Al

(Minorthreaddrift...sorry)

Do any of you guys notice a tendency to aim high when you shift to a FO sight?

yessir,

For me it only seems to be a problem on long paper shots or steel plates. However, if I will take the time to LOOK at my sights, it isn't a problem.

dj

It seems that most of the top dogs do not use a FO front and I have always wondered if the reason is that their vision is better than most of ours? They seem to have the ability to quickly focus back and forth on long shots and to still find a black sight on a black gun up close. I love the small FO on a narrow front. N

todd jarrett and TGO use fiber optic, so whose a bigger top dog than them? that french guy, whats his name? eric something uses FO in the rear and front....

I HATE, and i mean HATE FO rear sights...talk about fuzzy, i have 20/15 eyesight and i cannot get a clean, clear sight picture with them.

I shoot a L10 gun with dawson front sight and bomar rear, the front sight is a .125 with a red optic, the red seems to gather the light the best, i also shoot a glock with the factory adjustable sights, I find that i shoot the non fiber optic sights just as well as the FO sight.....except on steel challenge stages, then the FO sight helps me(*the factory glock sight measures .160" and covers the entire plate on some of the stages)

the 18 yard plate on 5 to go really sticks out...the glock front sight is too big to make a accurate shot.

I have a set of dawson .090 fiber optic front sight and a PLAIN rear ordered. they should be here friday. im gonna sight in and shoot two matches and i will see if it helps me.

What makes what someone else does, Robbie, Brian, or Moses automatically "right," especially "right" for me? I'm not discounting experience and talent, but what works for someone is what generates points per second. If plutonium ghost rings generate more points per second for me, so be it. Aside from that objective criteria, everthing else is crap.

(Minorthreaddrift...sorry)

Do any of you guys notice a tendency to aim high when you shift to a FO sight?

Seems pertinant, I have the same problem. When I am not calling my shots, I tend to line the dot up with the top of the rear notch. When I am paying attention to my shooting, the dot goes into the center of the notch were it belongs.

Personally, the dot brings my attention to the sights quicker. A quick test may be to carefully cover the dot with black electrical tape and maintain the shape of the front post to see if the dot is helping or not. ????

TJ was shooting a post this summer (at least when I saw him shoot) and he says TGO will black the FO sight out for some stages. I can not follow the .090 that I had on my limited gun as well as the FO I use now, but my point was that vision/pecepton was what seperates the top shooters not the sight.

I went from Glock factory sights to Heinie/ DP f/o combo, and expected some improvement in speed and far targets hits. I can see some improvement on very close targets (up to 7 yards) and on steel plates beyond 20 yards, but midrange targets show more poor hits and misses.

It seems that when targets are far enough that I have to slow down - I shoot better with new sights, but when I speed up on midrange targets seeing the dot tells me "shoot" while sight picture may not yet be good enough. I am going to give myself a month or two to get used to this sight and ovrcome the problem, but if I can't cure it, the f/o will have to go away.

So the "aiming high" problem seems to be a common thing. I normally sight in just at the top of the post. However, I just realized, at speed, my mind is telling me "there's the dot, that's where you'll hit." I'll try blacking it out.

Thanks.