Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Terrorist quotes, Part II

Bear1142

Apparently, I should have realized a quote like this would start a political debate. It was not my intent. Flex was absolutely right to lock the first thread. My intent was to share a quote that was inspirational to me, for many reasons. This quote,

"We will bring you to justice, or we will bring justice to you."

President George W. Bush

transcends the current war, and speaks to all injustice in the world. Political correctness is a disease that is destroying our country and our way of life. I long for the days when you were expected to chase a criminal, not let him go free because he ran away from you. Nowadays, if you chase somebody and an innocent person gets hurt, its my fault for chasing him. What ever happened to the idea that its his fault because he ran? Anyways, I could easily make this a huge rant, suffice to say, I won't, its not the place for it. I like the idea of holding people accountable for their actions, in all walks of life. This is why I find this quote inspirational.

Siglady,

I very much appreciate that all of the presidents for the last 50 years have probably had speech writers (it would be interesting to find out who was the last president to actually write all of his own speeches?), but I also think there's more to it than just the words. The tones, inflections, dramatic pauses, and panache, all combine to make the delivery just as important as the words. In that respect, I do credit the person saying the words, as well as the person who wrote them.

Erik

I like following a leader who at least knows who the enemy is.

In the words of the true poet of our era (Dirty Harry Callahan):

"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot."

I never dreamed that throw-away line would resonate throughout the world twenty years later.

I like the idea of holding people accountable for their actions, in all walks of life.
I would ask with total respect and complete sincerity:

Have you ever met anyone who disagreed with this statement (short of a criminal or sociopath)?

I haven't. And I don't believe I could find one anywhere in this country.

The point is, that is not what this is all about (re Dirty Harry).

Bountyhunter,

I agree that it would be hard to find someone who does not agree with this idea in principal. The problem is the lack of intestinal fortitude needed to apply this in practice. If you want some real world examples, look at the civil court system. Its always someone elses fault (Warning- sweeping generalization.) I deserve millions of dollars because I'm a dumba** and I spilled hot coffee on my lap. Well it must be your fault for making the hot coffee I wanted.

And yes, I have met people who disagree with that prinicipal. Some are called Judges and the others are called lawyers. (Hold on, give me a minute to put on my flame suit :D )

Erik

I like the idea of holding people accountable for their actions, in all walks of life.

Have you ever met anyone who disagreed with this statement (short of a criminal or sociopath)?

While I agree with the idea of being held accountable for your actions, I think it is blatanly ovbious that many of the people in our society don't feel this way. There is a large section of people out there that fall into the "It's not their fault" catagory. For example, the people who are suing the fast food companies because they are fat. Did anyone put a gun to their head and force them to eat crappy food all the time? There are so many examples of this "It's not my/ their fault" type of thought out there that I could fill pages, but you get the idea.

• 1 month later...
(Warning- sweeping generalization.) I deserve millions of dollars because I'm a dumba** and I spilled hot coffee on my lap. Well it must be your fault for making the hot coffee I wanted.

Okay, I hate to be the one person in America who disagrees with this, but do you remember, a few years ago, when every time you ordered a cup of coffee from McDonald's it was so godawfully hot, when you tried to take a sip the steam coming throught the hole in the top blistered your lip? You'd put the thing aside for ten minutes, thinking surely it must be safe by now, then take a swallow and it still took about three layers of skin off the interior of your mouth. Literally. No exaggeration. You'd have hanging shreds of flesh in your mouth. And every time you complained, time after time, they just shrugged and said, "That's our policy." Yeah, right.

Maybe millions of dollars in damages is a little over the top....but then again, maybe it's not. Because there's no way on God's green earth they should be serving coffee so hot that if you spill it on your lap you're looking at serious, disfiguring burns. And if it takes millions of dollars in damages to clue these dolts into the fact they're doing something ridiculously stupid and inhumane, then sock it to 'em, I say.

I believe I'd just avoid getting coffee from anyplace that I felt was trying to maim me. Easy enough to keep on driving.

Personally speaking, I just avoid places that sell me things I'm afraid of. No way do I go there "time after time" especially after being told repeatedly that their policy is to give me the exact thing that I'm afraid of every time I order it.

Yeah, McDonald's is the problem :wacko:

While I agree with the idea of being held accountable for your actions, I think it is blatanly ovbious that many of the people in our society don't feel this way. There is a large section of people out there that fall into the "It's not their fault" catagory. For example, the people who are suing the fast food companies because they are fat. Did anyone put a gun to their head and force them to eat crappy food all the time? There are so many examples of this "It's not my/ their fault" type of thought out there that I could fill pages, but you get the idea.

It always seems to be about holding someone ELSE responsible for their actions :)

Maybe it's because too many people are unwilling to step up, do the right thing, and hold themselves accountable.

Erik

Erik,

The saddest thing is when you do take responsibility and people are shocked because of it.

L

Shocked is the word.

I was in Navy boot camp at Great Mistakes (Great Lakes Naval Station) in the winter of 1984.

I was a squad leader and the Company Commander had us stay back from dinner to iron our squads underwear (I'm not kidding). I was hungry so I had a guy sneak some packages of crackers from the chow hall. I put some under my pillow and some under my buddies pillow.

Then we had a suprise bunk drill (strip your bed and remake it). My buddy forgot about the crackers and they went flying across the room when he whipped the pillow off the bed.

Oh boy.

The CC lined us all up and was telling us how he was going to mash us all night until somebody confessed.

I stepped out immediately and said, "They are my crackers."

I still remember the look of shock on his face. This was actually a pretty smart guy, I guess his experiences had taought him that no one would take respnsibility.

TomB

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but after reading I decided to bring it back to life.

This is the exact same thing I have been discussing lately with friends and family. It just seems to me that we as a country (generalization) are becoming more and more blame-happy. I see it most in the youth of today. It's never their fault - always the teacher, administration, or somebody/something else. Another generalization - from my prospective a high percentage of parents are not holding their children accountable. And if they do, the punishment is humorous. Over the years, this becomes adult behavior. Hell, look at some of the ‘representatives’ we have elected to public office. At least President Bush has the balls to stand up and take responsibility when others would blame another Republican or Democrat, etc for an incident. Bush has it right IMHO, the buck stops with him.

I can count on ONE-HAND how many people I have encountered in the past 5 years that will actually say "It's my fault - I'll take responsibility." And I am proud to say, I AM one of them.

-Joel

I just read the book Fireworks, which is a collection of Jeff Cooper's articles. I don't know when he said this, but it was well before 9/11:

" . . . to say, ‘You must do what I want or I will kill this defenseless other person,' is to announce that you have no decency, and that you count upon the decency of others to effect their undoing. This is to pervert and corrupt the very essence of righteousness, and is thus insufferable."

(Warning- sweeping generalization.) I deserve millions of dollars because I'm a dumba** and I spilled hot coffee on my lap. Well it must be your fault for making the hot coffee I wanted.

Okay, I hate to be the one person in America who disagrees with this, but do you remember, a few years ago, when every time you ordered a cup of coffee from McDonald's it was so godawfully hot, when you tried to take a sip the steam coming throught the hole in the top blistered your lip? You'd put the thing aside for ten minutes, thinking surely it must be safe by now, then take a swallow and it still took about three layers of skin off the interior of your mouth. Literally. No exaggeration. You'd have hanging shreds of flesh in your mouth. And every time you complained, time after time, they just shrugged and said, "That's our policy." Yeah, right.

Maybe millions of dollars in damages is a little over the top....but then again, maybe it's not. Because there's no way on God's green earth they should be serving coffee so hot that if you spill it on your lap you're looking at serious, disfiguring burns. And if it takes millions of dollars in damages to clue these dolts into the fact they're doing something ridiculously stupid and inhumane, then sock it to 'em, I say.

Didn't I read somewhere that there is law requiring a minimum temperature that coffee can be sold at? Something to do with bacterial growth or some other Bs.

I could be wrong, but if I remember, the temperature was 160 or higher and that is HOT.

Jim Norman

Didn't I read somewhere that there is law requiring a minimum temperature that coffee can be sold at? Something to do with bacterial growth or some other Bs.

I could be wrong, but if I remember, the temperature was 160 or higher and that is HOT.

Jim Norman

The coffee in the McDonald case was at about 180F, most other restaurants coffee temperature is about 155F. 180F can cause 3rd degree burns in 2-7 seconds.

PS- The Health requirement I found says 140F for hot foods/ liquids.

On another note I believe a person is responsible for their own actions and hate silly lawsuits and people that believe we owe them entitlements.

(Terrorists definitely deserve what they try to deal out.)

Edited by GuildSF4