Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GLOCK Standard Cap Mags

lndshrk

I see that TopGlock and others are selling high capacity magazines (17 round) for both the G17, G34 and other models. Have also read that the next big batch are due to arrive in the US shortly in a shipping container. Does anyone know whether the previous batch that have been distributed are left-over LEO only mags and the new ones are "freshly" made for US sales, and whether all, or only the new ones are DROP-FREE and FULLY METAL LINED? Also, pardon my ignorance, but why would anyone use anything else, and for what purpose?

DROP-FREE and FULLY METAL LINED? Also, pardon my ignorance, but why would anyone use anything else, and for what purpose?

The idea with the Non-Drop free mags is that when they are loaded with bullets they were a snug fit in the gun. That way if a person happened to be in a gun fight and accidently hit the mag release the mag would not fall out of the gun if was still full of ammo. A good thing in a situation like that :o Kind of a safety feature that never caught on in the USA so glock began making mags that would fall out even fully loaded.

Adam

I posted on this before. The new Glock mags are simply spectacular. Who cares if they're LE marked or not? I think people think that they can be unmarked mags for importation into Kaliban territory. No go. The new mags are so radically different you won't fool anyone.

I highly recommend the new Glock mags - no matter how they're marked. They're going to save you time on reloads over the old ones since they're so much better streamlined.

Yes, they are drop free. Glock magazines have gotten radically better since they hit the market. None of the old gripes really apply, except for the issue of oversized basepads popping off, which Glock just doesn't seem to be able to address. (A crying shame, since it really isn't that complicated to resolve.)

I think people think that they can be unmarked mags for importation into Kaliban territory. No go. The new mags are so radically different you won't fool anyone.

You haven't met any officials in CA, have you. ;)

I posted on this before.  The new Glock mags are simply spectacular.  Who cares if they're LE marked or not?  I think people think that they can be unmarked mags for importation into Kaliban territory.  No go.  The new mags are so radically different you won't fool anyone. 

I highly recommend the new Glock mags - no matter how they're marked.  They're going to save you time on reloads over the old ones since they're so much better streamlined.

Yes, they are drop free.  Glock magazines have gotten radically better since they hit the market.  None of the old gripes really apply, except for the issue of oversized basepads popping off, which Glock just doesn't seem to be able to address.  (A crying shame, since it really isn't that complicated to resolve.)

Ditto my new LEO mags are great :)

The idea with the Non-Drop free mags is that when they are loaded with bullets they were a snug fit in the gun. That way if a person happened to be in a gun fight and accidently hit the mag release the mag would not fall out of the gun if was still full of ammo.

Actually that's not it. It's long been European military theory that if a soldier shoots an auto pistol dry, they want him to have to physically withdraw the empty magazine before he can reload. (Thus the popularity in Europe of the heelclip magazine release, which has never really caught on in the US.) Then put the empty mag away before grabbing a fresh magazine. The idea is that, in wartime, the pistol almost invariably fires the same cartridge as the army's submachine gun, so spare ammo is no problem, but spare pistol magazines are fairly far down on the TOE, so a magazine lost during recharging probably can't be replaced. It makes no sense to lose your spare magazine(s) during Firefight A, then die later on in Firefight B because once your gun was empty you had no spare mag(s).

Hey guys ,

I just returned from the glock match in conyers Ga .

I bought 6 each of 9mm and 40 original cap mags . nice and shinny with no markings . These are realy nice magazines and just hit this country. talking with the people at glock mags will be available for shipment on the glock factory web site starting almost imidiatly. the kicker for these nice mags 20.00 each.one of my open big sticks I paid almost as much as for all these combined. (ya do what ya have to)

Johnnie

The idea with the Non-Drop free mags is that when they are loaded with bullets they were a snug fit in the gun. That way if a person happened to be in a gun fight and accidently hit the mag release the mag would not fall out of the gun if was still full of ammo.

Actually that's not it. It's long been European military theory that if a soldier shoots an auto pistol dry, they want him to have to physically withdraw the empty magazine before he can reload. (Thus the popularity in Europe of the heelclip magazine release, which has never really caught on in the US.) Then put the empty mag away before grabbing a fresh magazine. The idea is that, in wartime, the pistol almost invariably fires the same cartridge as the army's submachine gun, so spare ammo is no problem, but spare pistol magazines are fairly far down on the TOE, so a magazine lost during recharging probably can't be replaced. It makes no sense to lose your spare magazine(s) during Firefight A, then die later on in Firefight B because once your gun was empty you had no spare mag(s).

Here is the quote from glockfaq.com I read concerning the reasoning behind a NDF magazine. Its just my opinon but if Im in a firefight and need to reload my first concern would be reloading and not worrying about dropping my magazine. :huh:

" In his 1998 Glock Annual article entitled, "How To Become a Glock-Master!," Chuck Karwan states that the original Glock NDF-NFML magazines were designed to swell slightly when fully loaded -- thus preventing a fully-loaded magazine rom exiting the pistol if it were improperly seated or the mag catch accidentally engaged. The original G17 would drop a mag freely only after it contained 10 rounds or less. An empty mag did not always drop free without a little help by shaking the pistol."

I think people think that they can be unmarked mags for importation into Kaliban territory.  No go.  The new mags are so radically different you won't fool anyone.

You haven't met any officials in CA, have you. ;)

Or... "my original magazine tube either wore out or broke. These here are replacement tubes."

RE: Why would anyone want to have the lower capacity mags?

"Clinton Era" mags (aka: "Cali" mags) (aka: BAN YEARS)

The magazine capacity is still restricted in the state of California. The lower capacity magazines will continue to be produced for such states.

The new "standard" mags are expected to reach distribution and the public this month (October 2004).

GREAT!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 5 used LEO mags for each of my (3) Glocks and I got to hand pick them. I plan on buying 10 new ones for each gun and set them back and start a rotation of new mags and update and replace as needed. I will not be found without again. ;)