Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Gun With Greatest Competitive Advantage

I'm thinking about buying a gun specifically to shoot production class. I mainly shoot STI's and SV's in open and limited but want to also give production a try. What gun does everyone think has the greatest competitive advantage and why? Trigger pull, felt recoil, magwell size, accuracy, gunsmithing...

I think if you're coming from a 2011 platform you will really like a Para LDA.

Just kidding.

I would say either the Shadow or a Tanfo Stock 2 or 3. I have a Shadow, and with the SRTS trigger it's pretty awesome. However, I believe the Tanfo has a bigger magwell opening and is possibly easier to work on. None of the popular Production guns (Glock, Shadow, etc) have felt recoil that will be difficult to manage.

CZs followed by M&P Pro9s, XDms, Glocks.

But in reality, the competitive advantage is in learning to shoot As, reloads and good stage plans.

I ran a 22 round stage multiple times with several different platforms, all shooting the same ammo, same sights, all with standard cap mags...there was no statisitically significant diference. I liked some more than others due to better ergonomics for me, but realize that for a different person, that would shift.

I would say either the Shadow or a Tanfo Stock 2 or 3. I have a Shadow, and with the SRTS trigger it's pretty awesome. However, I believe the Tanfo has a bigger magwell opening and is possibly easier to work on. None of the popular Production guns (Glock, Shadow, etc) have felt recoil that will be difficult to manage.

I hear a lot of people saying CZs are great for production, but I can't figure out what makes them better than a XD, M&P or Glock.

I hear a lot of people saying CZs are great for production, but I can't figure out what makes them better than a XD, M&P or Glock.

Well look at what makes them different from the guns you mentioned. They're heavier, and by all accounts in SA mode they have better triggers.

Production is about shooting points, quickly. A 43oz gun with a 32oz trigger is going to make it easier to shoot points than a 26oz gun with a 48oz trigger. There may be mechanical accuracy advantages as well, but I would say it's close, based purely on my experience.

Ultimately it will definitely come down to the shooter (obviously), but I think the reason people favor Shadows over the polymer guns you mentioned is weight and trigger.

Edited by beltjones

1 - All steel frame. Heavier gun absorbs the recoil better

2 - DA/SA trigger. Once you get past the first DA shot, you have a SA the rest of the COF, mine is approx 2.25#.

Obviously I'm biased, I own an SP01. But the only other gun i would consider for Production is the Stock 2 or 3. I have not held one, so I can't give you an opinion on them, but i've heard they are really nice.

But in reality, the competitive advantage is in learning to shoot As, reloads and good stage plans.

I ran a 22 round stage multiple times with several different platforms, all shooting the same ammo, same sights, all with standard cap mags...there was no statisitically significant diference. I liked some more than others due to better ergonomics for me, but realize that for a different person, that would shift.

I run an mp9 for production and a mp40 in limited. Both are basically stock except for sears. i run the same production gear in both. this is against the high dollar guns. I have shot a few matches and the finishes are about the same for both guns.

As production is limited to 10 round and you are used to the 1911 platform, maybe a 9mm 1911 might work.

I run an mp9 for production and a mp40 in limited. Both are basically stock except for sears. i run the same production gear in both. this is against the high dollar guns. I have shot a few matches and the finishes are about the same for both guns.

As production is limited to 10 round and you are used to the 1911 platform, maybe a 9mm 1911 might work.

That sounds like an awesome way to shoot Open minor.

It would work for getting the OP bumped to open (since it's a single-action).

I shoot my cz better than I shoot my m&p (i have since sold the m&p), but it has more to do with which gun i enjoy shooting. Results appear to show that every popular gun is competitive, so I would shoot whatever felt best.

Look no further than what the top guys at the production nationals shot!!!

Oh...for the love of God...Please don't convince the OP to buy a Beretta. What did he ever do to you?

tanfoglio, beretta, cz, caracal, springfield..... Looks like pretty much everything is competitive. even some m&p's and a glock and HK in the top 16.

I think it would be more helpful to look at *how* the top guys at the production nationals shot. From what I observed, they shot lots of alpha's, really really fast. I think that strategy would be successful with any gun.

Edited by motosapiens

The variety in the lineup among the top shooters indicates that it is possible to win with damn near anything, but what matters is what helps you shoot better. I know for me, I can shoot an A with a Glock, but YUK! I throw up in my mouth a little every time I pull the trigger. There is nothing but CZ and Tanfoglio for me; they just feel right and yes, Angus gives me a real broner!

Oh...for the love of God...Please don't convince the OP to buy a Beretta. What did he ever do to you?

:) That's one of the reasons I'm asking this question. Obviously someone who has practiced a lot with just about any gun on the production list will do well (except maybe the Kel Tec P11). In fact I already have twelve guns that are on the production list. Three are Berettas, but I don't really feel that any of them are what I would want to compete with.

In all seriousness the answer for me is a trigger modded Shadow using Federal primers and (once approved) the SRT. The gun is weighted perfectly, shoots stupid flat, is way more than accurate enough for what we do and I currently have a 3.5/1.75 trigger.

Now how many positions that moves me up the results board over any of the other contenders is a different question, but for me it is currently Da Bomb in Production.

edited for sphelling.

Edited by Neomet

Outside of the US and USPSA rules, Production is largely "Shadow Division".

CZ and CZesque designs set the tone.

Yes, I'm trying very hard to showcase the Grand Power pistols as an option worth exploring, but the CZ guns didn't get to the top of the pile by selling bikini calendars.

I shot a non USPSA fun match last weekend with my HK P7M13 and Beretta PX4 just to get an idea what I liked about each one. Came in 24th with the HK and 41st with the Beretta out of 101 shooters. What I learned was that I shoot almost identical times with both guns except for slightly slower reloads with the HK. However my hits are a lot better with the HK especially on the draw.

Might just have to buy a CZ unless anyone can come up with any reasons why something else would be better.

Granted its all personal preference but coming from someone that has bought almost every popular production gun I settled with the CZ having everything I want in a single platform. If you can get a Shadow Custom do it! They are unbelievable. A friend of mine is a M&P shooter and did some splits with it then my CZ his hits were faster with tighter groups so he ordered one lol. Your mileage may vary but Iam very happy with mine.

Keep in mind I don't shoot comp but if looking at a CZ or Smith M&P you owe it to yourself to check out the IWI Baby Eagle series. Don't confuse it with the MR (built in US) - the Israeli made gun is far the smoothest handgun I have ever shot and it looks good too. Literally looks like a desert eagle shrunk down to size. The designation is BE9915 for the 9mm w/15 round mag. Change the 15 to 10 or 12 to order the 10 or 12 round mags. BE9400 = .40 cal and BE4500= .45 cal. comes in 3 sizes steel or poly frame.