Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Gun With Greatest Competitive Advantage

I would say either the Shadow or a Tanfo Stock 2 or 3. I have a Shadow, and with the SRTS trigger it's pretty awesome. However, I believe the Tanfo has a bigger magwell opening and is possibly easier to work on. None of the popular Production guns (Glock, Shadow, etc) have felt recoil that will be difficult to manage.

I hear a lot of people saying CZs are great for production, but I can't figure out what makes them better than a XD, M&P or Glock.

Outside the US, meaning IPSC rules, the Shadow was/is very popular because a few reasons but "I think" the biggest one was the magazine capacity or 19 rounds. Until recently, IPSC didn’t have a capacity limitation like USPSA. So, 19 vs 15 or 17...Shadow wins. Now, the IPSC production limit has be set at 15 rounds (I think) and that levels the playing field a bit.

What makes one better than the other is largely a personal thing. “Assuming" all above mentioned guns are more or less equal in reliability and their accuracy meets your standards, it becomes a matter of user comfort. Grip angle this, sights that, heavy, light, steel, tupperware, big magwell, small magwell,... arghhh. What DO YOU like to shoot? What DO YOU shoot better? Not always the same answer. I love shooting my CZ TS (big, heavy steel, awesome trigger) in limited but for one reason or another, I shoot my G35 (smaller, lighter, plastic, it has a trigger) better. Go figure.

Glock is probably the most common option.

Except on the leader board.

Glock might still have more production Nats wins than any other frame --- something that might be obliterated soon.....

Personally, I prefer a lighter gun and an identical trigger pull for every shot, so I'd gravitate to some version of plastic fantastic. Since my Glocks are paid for and work, I'd stick with G34s.....

I would say either the Shadow or a Tanfo Stock 2 or 3. I have a Shadow, and with the SRTS trigger it's pretty awesome. However, I believe the Tanfo has a bigger magwell opening and is possibly easier to work on. None of the popular Production guns (Glock, Shadow, etc) have felt recoil that will be difficult to manage.

I hear a lot of people saying CZs are great for production, but I can't figure out what makes them better than a XD, M&P or Glock.

Outside the US, meaning IPSC rules, the Shadow was/is very popular because a few reasons but "I think" the biggest one was the magazine capacity or 19 rounds. Until recently, IPSC didn’t have a capacity limitation like USPSA. So, 19 vs 15 or 17...Shadow wins. Now, the IPSC production limit has be set at 15 rounds (I think) and that levels the playing field a bit.

The other thing to remember about IPSC rules and Production, if it ain't out of the box stock, it's not kosher.

Yes, there are some very limited modifications possible, but essentially what you shoot is what came out of the factory box un-altered.

In that regard, the SP01 Shadow was leading the pack due to ergonomics, trigger feel, and magazine capacity. With a magazine loading cap, it's still a good pick.

What ever has the most competitive advantage? What ever Dave, Ben, Bob, etc are shooting. Who ever thought anybody would win a nationals with a berretta? Now Dave is shooting for FN...will that be the next gun to do it? Sure I love my CZs but at the top it still remains the indian and not the arrow. Sure I could give you a gun with a better trigger and you'll probably have better hits but that is a bandaid for bad trigger control. Give these guys a stock gun and they will still kick all our butts! Hell, Bob proved that at IPSC with his 5 pound glock trigger!

• 3 months later...

I am going to try IPSC Production and have been looking at most all my options.I live in Hawaii so 10 round magazines are my only choice.I have done a huge amount of research which pointed me to CZ.I made the mistake of calling the CZ custom shop in Arizona,speaking with Rob , who is very knowledgable and friendly while answering dumd questions.Long story short ,I bought a model 75 91166 CZ Shadow line 9mm SA DA.

Good Luck on getting the right gun!

JB

I don't know anything about IPSC, but as far as USPSA, I think the Glock 34 has the following competitive advantages:

- mag changes are easier...grip is bigger allowing for a bigger mag well opening and you're allowed to use a grip plug to fill that open space at the base of the magwell, plus seems to me that plastic on plastic slides smoother than metal on metal

- sight radius is longer...with Taran Tactical or Sevigney sights I shoot it more accurately than my Shadow

- it's lighter which might make for faster gun handling and transitions

- you can put grip tape on it or stipple it all the way up to the slide...gives both hands more traction which helps with recoil control

- if you get up high and tight in the backstrap, you'll have almost zero space between the base of the slide and your hand...with a good, high grip on a G34 recoil control is most certainly not an issue (nor is it an issue with my G24 shooting major with that same grip) - you just can't be afraid to see your own blood on occasion

- grip angle automatically causes the weak hand to be cammed while still having it tight against the strong hand

- the trigger has a very strong, forceful positive reset...I've never had the kind of trigger freeze where I didn't let the trigger all the way out with my Glocks

- the trigger, when reset and at rest and through the trigger pull, is more forward than it is on the Shadow...for me, that makes it easier to move my trigger finger independently of the rest of my fingers (which causes me to not disrupt the front sight with the trigger pull)

- same trigger pull every shot, faster draw to first shot

- Glock factory mags just work...on a wet muddy day, just dunk them in water and swish them around to clean them out

- you can make for a pretty smooth 2.5-3 lb trigger that isn't all that long...I've had a really fast open guy shoot his open gun and then mine and he was getting almost identical splits (sub .20) - I get .20's on the kind of targets where I only need to see the outline of the slide

I'm sure the CZ guys have an equally impressive list of what they feel are the competitive advantages to shooting CZ's. And I like all competitive production guns, so I own almost all of them :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I have no horse in this race, but if you are right handed, it should say something that both the world champ (Eric G) and the 2nd place guy (Ben S), who could use any gun in the world, have both chosen Tanfos

and, afaik, Ben, at least, chose the Tanfo without any $$ incentive

• 4 weeks later...

CZ's look nice but is there much support for it? I haven't really looked around.....

\

It is one of the more popular competitive guns which means there are options but nothing like the Glock. I would even say the M&P surpasses the CZ as far as trigger options but not accessories.

Parts are NOT as available however as the Glock or the M&P.

In regard to the topic, i am a firm believer that it is the Indian and not the arrow although some shooters may find particular arrows more to their liking based upon individual characteristics.

The CZ is not a better gun than the Glock. The 43 ounce weight certainly helps mute recoil but if the shooter has moderate hand and forearm strength, the G34 is not exactly a hand canon.

Predictable recoil is more important than lack of recoil.

I love shooting my CZ TS (big, heavy steel, awesome trigger) in limited but for one reason or another, I shoot my G35 (smaller, lighter, plastic, it has a trigger) better. Go figure.

+1. I own a CZ Custom Shadow SP01, M&P 9L, Sig P-226 Elite and a G-34 gen 3 with stock barrel. I actually prefer shooting the G-34 in production. It's just as accurate as any of them if I do my part. It loves Extreme 115gr hollowpoints. I also don't have to worry about babying it. It's almost indestructable, and easy to work on myself.

Edited by rack&roll