Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where's your visual focus

Ronnie j

I'm not sure when I started doing it , but as of late I've found myself concentrating on the gun and where it's at more than anything else at the beep. I think it's working, my grip is better without having to adjust it, which used to be what happen with a table start.

I voted for "The first target to be shot," but I will say that if the gun is on a table away from me, and not in my holster, then my focus is on picking up the gun. When I have the gun holstered, I can focus just on the first target and just let the gun come up into my area of focus.

If the gun is on a table in front of me, then squarely on the spot that I want my hand/fingers to be in order to pick the gun up. Upon initiating my grip, I snap my eyes to the first target, but my conscious mind is finishing the grip.

After that, game on! :ph34r:

Rich

I voted for "The first target to be shot," but I will say that if the gun is on a table away from me, and not in my holster, then my focus is on picking up the gun. When I have the gun holstered, I can focus just on the first target and just let the gun come up into my area of focus.

Same for me.

If the gun is on a table in front of me, then squarely on the spot that I want my hand/fingers to be in order to pick the gun up. Upon initiating my grip, I snap my eyes to the first target, but my conscious mind is finishing the grip.

After that, game on! :ph34r:

Rich

I'm a target focuser, but I do the same thing as Rich to an extent. If it's a table start, I watch my lifting hand (I lift up on the slide with the opposite hand from the one I'll be assuming the grip with) get underneath the gun and then start looking for the target.

One other slight modification that I was taught along the way.

When I'm getting ready to shoot with my gun on a table close by 1) focus on the gun at the exact position where I will pick it up (for me it's the grip as I prefer the strong hand grab rather than the weak hand flip), 2) without moving my head, switch my focus to the first target or array of targets, 3) visualize the hits on those targets, then 4) move just my eyes back to the gun focus. In other words, I am rehearsing the transition from the first focus to the second focus.

Even if I am moving a distance to get to the gun, I like this visualization from the start position as it rehearses the all important, visually-controlled transition. Granted, sometimes you need to picture in your mind where the first target is as it may not be visible from the start position, e.g., a few stages that we had at Natls this year.

Credit to Steve Moore on this tip, he probably picked it up from others along the way.

I agree with Renee,

Whether in-a-box or holstered, I concentrate on (1) buzzer (2) gun (3) target. The brain can move info faster than we can physically react. Keeping things in order mentally, creates a more controlled and what seems to be faster motion to the "shot". IMHO.

Dan

The way I unserstood the question was (and I took this for granted) that the gun would be holstered. At this point I am focused on the target. If the gun is on table I would of course focus on the gun then. I really dont think there is any other way to do it. Unless your zen like