Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not being motivated to go do the things I love..

eerw

I have shot this sport for many years..and at times been quite good..and other times been quite bad..but it has always been fun..the people in the sport are great..and the activity has always been challenging and fun..

but the alarm clock went off..and I just can't find the motivation get out of bed, get my stuff together and drive to the match..

I really hate this feeling... :angry:

Hey Jack..you have been at this as about as long as I have...any insights on you get yourself into a positive mindset...

I think your life has changed and evolved about as much as mine has...

stuart

I've been going through this recently with Cowboy. I found a couple things that helped.

Shoot a different game for a while. For me it was Steel Challenge. Shot with my Cowboy guns and with a .22 and a 1911.

Take a break. I didn't shoot at all for a month, other than 1 SC match.

Then I worked with my 1911 for a couple weeks. It's starting to get better. I've also made some changes to my attitude during the break and figured out (I think) what I need to learn to get to the next level.

I think you need a break and a change of pace.

Good luck!

Joel

Needs to be said: could be a mild case of burnout, but if the "symptoms" continue and carry over to other aspects of your life that have given you pleasure in the past, please explore the possibility that you might be experiencing a mild bout of depression. Not at all uncommon for those of us that are generally in great spirits the rest of the time.

I have shot this sport for many years..and at times been quite good..and other times been quite bad..but it has always been fun..the people in the sport are great..and the activity has always been challenging and fun..

but the alarm clock went off..and I just can't find the motivation get out of bed, get my stuff together and drive to the match..

I really hate this feeling... :angry:

It's been that way for me for about six years. I've lost a lot of good shooting time, especially trying to improve my much needed shooting skills.

:( it happens

the only cure I've found is "just doing it"

the fun generally comes back

I will 2nd this thought. I have taken the last 3 weeks of from shooting, as I am getting ready to Bankrupt my business. Doing anything the last few weeks has taken a real effort, as I have fought with depression. I got out and shot today, and while I didn't shoot great, I remembered why I love this sport so damn much.

I took a little time off this spring not so much from shooting itself, but from the shooting league competitions. It really helped. I was burnt out on everything at the time, which bled over noticeably into my shooting, and so I just blew it all off for a while. :huh: I kept practicing on a near-weekly basis, but took a vacation from the pressures of 'league' for a time. It was the right thing to do.

I returned in summer to kick ass in the .22 League action, and just fixed the trigger on my Kimber in readiness for the big-bore league starting in October. I feel refreshed. ;)

It's OK to back off now and then. :)

eerw ... are you responsible for running (or helping) the match? If so, you might want to step aside and let someone else do the work for a while.

If it's the shooting ... try something "new." Shoot a different division, or do something crazy like shooting in Open with a production-legal gun. Or borrow a rig for lefties and shoot left handed. Something!

Sometimes I don't want to get out of bed, but when I do, I am always glad I went to the match afterward. When I've just stayed home, I typically regretted not going.

On the other hand, I've been so excited about being ABLE to shoot for the last couple of years that I can't get enough of it!

It's been that way for me for about six years. I've lost a lot of good shooting time, especially trying to improve my much needed shooting skills.

If you've been like that for six years, you might want to talk to your doctor. That's an awfully long time to be in the dumps.

L

You may want to drift over to the zen threads and give them a read. Being disillusioned should be a good thing....when illusions have left, what remains is often instructive. Sometimes when this sort of mood strikes, I wonder what it is that I am resisting. What is it about doing XYZ activity that spurns the lethargy? When you don't want to do something, it is sometimes then the most important time to do it. You will not only hone your character, building discipline, but you will also gain insight into what illusions you currently hold.

Hey Stuart - sorry for the late reply - I've been out of town.

Yeah, I think the solution is love of the game. I haven't shot now for some time, but I will again and I know it. Specifically since I intend to go to nationals next year. Maybe the key is working towards a goal (area championship, nationals, etc. etc.)

Shooting is part of me - whether I am actively shooting or not I continuously think about it. Dennis Reese (Springfield Armory) and I trade e-mails regularly over misc. stuff - it is always on my mind. That, to me, still makes it part of me and while I often times can't get out to shoot, or have family obligations (which will ALWAYS take precedence over shooting) I still have it in me.

Phil Strader was simply incredible to me at Area 4 this year. He told me I was a "legend" in the sport and that he knew I'd get to where I needed to be. Keep in mind that Phil is as close to a national champion as I could ever be. It is that faith I see in him that I know will carry me. I'll go shoot nationals next year and probably won't even be in the hunt - but I'll be there. To me, that should count for something. I was in the hunt several times and lost - now its time to simpy enjoy doing what I Love.

JB

Right on Sam -

Of course - it also tastes better when you're the one who shot it - as I know you are an avid hunter like me.

FYI - the Caribou hunt this year was AWESOME!

JB

A person's interests can and do change, and not necessarily bcause of depression. I used to fish like a fiend. Had the boat out three times this summer. I have hunted all my life, but I haven't even used any of my licenses this year. Goose season opened yesterday and a farmer friend of mine asked me to come hunting just because he is tired of the geese and the cranes tearing up his field. I passed on the offer. My brother is coming elk hunting in a week and I haven't even bothered to "scout" the area. On the flip side, I quit shooting in 1985 or so, then started again in 2000.

If you've been like that for six years, you might want to talk to your doctor. That's an awfully long time to be in the dumps.

L

Everytime I go to the doc all I get is, "You're fine." <_< I ran a ipsc program for over two years and I think that's what did the damage. Now it's hard to get back in the swing of things, but I do believe I'm getting closer.

Hey Stuart,

Ironically, I have suffered the same sort of complacency of shooting. Mine happened after this year's Nationals. I went there really wanting to win, and didn't. Robbie told me something at the Bianchi Cup that will motivate me for next year. "Anyone who doesn't practice, and expects to win, is just stupid." He's right.

I went there completely unprepared, without my wife, without my son, and without practice. And until I'm ready to put in the effort that I need to win, I'm just going to take a break.

Right now, Colton is #1 on the time priority list. I'm giving myself about two months for a mental break, then I'll climb back on that horse. I may make an appearance at the IDPA Commonwealth Cup in a few weeks, but I'm not sure.

Sometimes the love of this sport isn't always in the shooting.

Phil

I know no-one wants to hear it but it might be a chemical imbalance causing depression. A few months of an antidepressant has changed a lot of peoples lives.

I think all shooters go through some ups and downs though. I should know I have shot this sport since 88, I think :unsure: . Yes that's 1988 not 1888. If you are unmotivated in all aspects of your life see a Doc. If its just shooting see yourself.