Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.37 Reload

toothguy

Can you all see the time? I could when I was posting it, but now it doesn't seem to resolve.

No.

I was curious though how does that 1.37 translate with a draw?

It comes out sounding a lot like Yiddish.

Very clever. Just keep in mind there are people from Tennessee and Oklahoma who participate here, so please try to keep the humor at a level they can understand. ;)

Edited by Carmoney

Can you all see the time? I could when I was posting it, but now it doesn't seem to resolve.

No.

Very clever. Just keep in mind there are people from Tennessee and Oklahoma who participate here, so please try to keep the humor at a level they can understand. ;)

Whut???

No.

Whut???

Bubber,

Can you translate Yiddish into Okie or Spanglish?

No.

Ummm from what I saw today.....FREAKING FAST! I know what from a table was right at 1.0. Anything coming out of a holster and the holster was left smoking!

Matt, I've been doing the thumb through the frame reload for about 10 years. Wasn't sure if my fingers were long enough to do the over under approach but tried your reload yesterday - had to really think about not sticking my thumb through the frame. If I rushed it I had a tendency to push the cylinder closed with the index finger. One of the things I noticed is that my cylinder closed quicker because I didn't have to wait to get my thumb out of the way.

Thanks for the videos - gives me something to work on...among a multitude of things...before the nationals

The LH Jerry M that shoots revolvers...

Love it.

I do have a question though: What does the ~1.3x reload turn into when part of a match; or does it stay that quick?

I have had bizzare differences in split times (for the reload) under match conditions compared to the what I see in practice. Probably has something to do with not always coming up to a 2-3yd target.

Love it.

I do have a question though: What does the ~1.3x reload turn into when part of a match; or does it stay that quick?

I have had bizzare differences in split times (for the reload) under match conditions compared to the what I see in practice. Probably has something to do with not always coming up to a 2-3yd target.

It takes more brain than muscle to do a fast reload. When I don't have to think about either shot, a stage, the weather, my score, etc. I can do those freaky reloads because I have my entire attention focused on the complex movements necessary to do the reload. Everything else that matters takes away from that attention. Here's an older video from a practice run on a plate rack (around 23 yards) with a reload between every plate:

You can see how much slower it is, the amount of attention necessary to hit a plate at that distance slows down the shot on both ends.

Matt, there is a thread about improving draw speed by concentrating on the weak hand. What are you thinking about before the reload, draw ect. Thanks.

I tried that because of that thread, I think he's on to something. It seemed to make it both faster and more stable, and having a quality grip is ten times more important than an extra tenth of a second.

My particular point of focus changes over time, like a swing thought in golf. Right now it's feeling a solid connection between palm and backstrap, but that's because I was having trouble with a flying thumb. Once I have that trained in I'll probably notice something else wrong and work on that.

Edited by Matt Griffin

Matt,

This thread gives me the perfect importunity to thank you for uploading the original video of your reload a few years ago. I bought a 625 in hopes of shooting revolver in competition a few years back. I shot only a couple of matches before I parked it in the safe convinced that no lefty would ever be competitive with a right handed revolver. My hands also always burned up from the forcing cone using the thumb through window method. After watching your original video frame by frame (you went so darn fast) I took it out and started practicing you method. Last June I put all my autos in the safe and made a 12 month commitment to shoot only revolver each weekend in all 4 disciplined I shoot. 625, IDPA, 627 USPSA (L10) and ICORE limited. And my 617 for rimfire. I have gotten better (no where close to your speed) and have enjoyed the wheel gun immensely. Had it not been your video shedding some light, I would probably still be running around with a plastic gun in my hand.

Last weekend I returned to California after shooting the IDPA S&W Indoor Nationals in Massachusetts for my first time. While I shot lousy and placed horribly, all my Matt Griffin reloads were smoking fast.

This video was taken of me last April. Its the only one I could find that shows a reload.

Thanks you for your tips.

Love it.

It takes more brain than muscle to do a fast reload. When I don't have to think about either shot, a stage, the weather, my score, etc. I can do those freaky reloads because I have my entire attention focused on the complex movements necessary to do the reload. Everything else that matters takes away from that attention. Here's an older video from a practice run on a plate rack (around 23 yards) with a reload between every plate:

You can see how much slower it is, the amount of attention necessary to hit a plate at that distance slows down the shot on both ends.

To me this is more impressive than the 1.37 reload. First he completes 5 reloads Nd hits every plate at 23 yards!!

To me this is more impressive than the 1.37 reload. First he completes 5 reloads Nd hits every plate at 23 yards!!

Agreed!

That was the hard part, not the reloading, although that was also amazing. Since I'm ambidextrous, maybe I should start shooting left handed?

This video was taken of me last April. Its the only one I could find that shows a reload.

Hah, it's really weird seeing someone else do it, it hadn't occurred to me but I've never seen it done before. Glad it's working for you Ty!