Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wisdom teeth....ugh

PaulW

Paul, as long as you do not smoke, and keep them CLEAN and WET, they will heal quickly. Use that syringe too after you eat and just whenever. I had mine out the same time as my mother-in-laws ex. He smoked and got dry socket. Just took him forever to heal. I was out of pain in a few days, and eating regularly in about ten days-two weeks. I took this as a reason to eat blizzards with cherries and nothing hard in them. I GAINED while on my ice cream diet. It was awesome. :rolleyes:

I had a Air Force Colonel pull mine while I was in the service. I wanted to be gassed but he said they could only give me an IV of Valium. I now know why people get addicted to that stuff, that was 20 years ago and I still think about it. You could have parked a truck on my chest and I wouldn't have cared, I heard everything while they were breaking my wisdom teeth.

Better living through chemistry I guess.

Yea I was knocked out. Had them pulled Monday and the swelling is the worst today. But the pain is ok. Don't really need the pain meds, but they do help me sleep. Lol

Warm salt water rinses (gentle swishing) will help the tissue feel better. Avoid pressure like spitting, blowing up a balloon, sucking on a straw ect. Avoid citirus and mouth wash with alcohol it burns and drys the tissue. If you can, don't disturb the extraction sites at all. What needs to happen for it to heal is a blood clot forms in the extraction site and the tissue grows over the top of the clot. In a dry socket the clot doesn't form so there is delayed healing and pain. Smokers do get more dry sockets but people that have never smoked get them as well.

Thanks tooth. They did not stitch the one as it already had an infection. Seems like I bleed at night, not sure why or if its the way I sleep? How long is it before the swelling goes down and I can eat solid foods again?

Since I have a big mouth (in more ways than one), mine have never given me much of a problem on their own. I got the one on the upper left "extracted" in a martial arts tournament about 30 years ago. The other cracked a while back and needs to be removed, but since it never bothered me until recently, I didn't bother it. Now I'm seeing a new hotshot dentist that is taking care of my wife. He doesn't use gas except as a last resort due to the marginal risks involved. But he is very good with that needle full of lidocaine. So far, I haven't felt much discomfort during any of the procedures.

It helps that his assistants are all pretty young women...at least that is my wife's theory as until now I have pretty much avoided dentists. :closedeyes:

Anyway, don't smoke or drink alcohol, keep it clean and gargle with a bit of saltwater. it should heal in a few days.Good luck.

Thanks tooth. They did not stitch the one as it already had an infection. Seems like I bleed at night, not sure why or if its the way I sleep? How long is it before the swelling goes down and I can eat solid foods again?

When the tooth is extracted they use Lidocaine to numb the nerves in the area. In the Lidocaine is also epinephrine that constricts the blood vessels slowing bleeding. When this wears off more bleeding occurs. An anti inflammatory like ibuprofen will cause more bleeding because it temporarily effects how blood platelets stick together. Lying down will increase bleeding because more blood from the body can pool to the head.

You should see real improvement within a week, if not or if you have an increase in swelling see your dentist, you may need an antibiotic.

I know this isn't supposed to be a discussion but if you have any questions you can PM me.

Edited by toothguy

Since I have a big mouth (in more ways than one), mine have never given me much of a problem on their own. I got the one on the upper left "extracted" in a martial arts tournament about 30 years ago. The other cracked a while back and needs to be removed, but since it never bothered me until recently, I didn't bother it. Now I'm seeing a new hotshot dentist that is taking care of my wife. He doesn't use gas except as a last resort due to the marginal risks involved. But he is very good with that needle full of lidocaine. So far, I haven't felt much discomfort during any of the procedures.

It helps that his assistants are all pretty young women...at least that is my wife's theory as until now I have pretty much avoided dentists. :closedeyes:

Anyway, don't smoke or drink alcohol, keep it clean and gargle with a bit of saltwater. it should heal in a few days.Good luck.

The main reason to go to the dentist is the exam. When problems are small they are easy and inexpensive to fix. Most crowns, root canals and extractions, other than third molars, are avoidable with regular dental visits. The best dental care is prevention by seeing your Dentist regularly.

I also had all four extracted at the same time by the Air Force "Dental Hobby Shop" as we used to call it. Nothing like being totally lucid while a guy has his knee in your chest pulling teeth with pliers, hear (and feel) a loud CRACK and hear the dentist exlaim "Oh #$%^#$"! Broke my jawbone getting the tooth out.

Anyway, the drugs after, were wonderful.

The main reason to go to the dentist is the exam. When problems are small they are easy and inexpensive to fix. Most crowns, root canals and extractions, other than third molars, are avoidable with regular dental visits. The best dental care is prevention by seeing your Dentist regularly.

Personally, I like Xcaliber's reasoning, but I follow Toothguy's recommendation.

Had all four of mine pulled many years ago but two at a time (one side, then the other) a couple of weeks apart. The swelling was gone in about a week and I started chewing on the healed side not long after that.