Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning the barrel after shooting lead bullets

AirBorne

I'm positive this has been covered but searched and couldn't find it. My question: Is there a good cleaning solvent for use in removing lead from the barrel? I used Hoppe's Elite and spent quite a while getting the barrel clean. Does anyone anyone have any experience with this matter. I'd prefer not to use a bore brush to clean said barrel since I've heard it can damage it. Yes I did break down and use the brush so that I could get it cleaned today. Any ideas are welcome and solutions to this problem is good for at least a six pack of Bud or Heineken. Thanks

I don't like brushes either. I use Birchwood-Casey Lead Remover & Polishing cloth and cut it into patches. RB-17 works good too. Easiest thing for me is shoot a few jacketed bullets at the end of the shooting session. Not usually possible after a match though.

skip62

I've heard that both ways, one way was you can clean alot of it out by shooting jacketed bullets the other is if you shoot jacketed bullets after shooting lead you really pack the lead into the rifling. I don't have a clue which is correct so am hesitant to shoot jacketed rounds afterwards.

Edited by AirBorne

I'm not quite sure how a bronze brush could hurt a steel barrel. Lead typically requires a mechanical scrubbing action to remove, unless you're using the old (hazardous) liquid mercury method, or the aforementioned electrolysis method.

That said, the Lewis Lead Remover does a good job. It uses a brass or bronze screen that is pressed into the barrel grooves by an expandable rubber mandrel and pulled through the barrel. But all-in-all, a bronze brush with a good bore solvent will do a decent job of removing lead from all but the most fouled of barrels.

Sent from my Verizon phone using Tapatalk

Copper "Chore Boy" pot scrubbers wrapped around an old bronze brush will take the lead out quickly. It just takes a few strands wound, so the Chore Boy will last a long time. The scrubber and the brush are both considerably softer than jacketed bullet jackets, so you'd really have to apply yourself to damage a barrel. The only thing I know that'll dissolve lead is mercury.

When I shot lead, I had good luck with a system called "Foul Out II", made by Outers. Somewhat involved, as it is an electrochemical system. I'm sure a web search will turn up some info.

Or Foul Out III, whichever you can get your hands on, best money spent!

No scrubbing by the way!

I've heard these arguments a lot. I don't understand how brushing with a metal that is softer than steel can damage said steel. I'm not being sarcastic, if someone can point this out to me, I'd like to know.

I've heard these arguments a lot. I don't understand how brushing with a metal that is softer than steel can damage said steel. I'm not being sarcastic, if someone can point this out to me, I'd like to know.

I agree!

I almost posted the same statement, but I am really sold on the Outer's Foul Out system. I don't like to scrub.

I have have a Foul Out II. It does work well, but the Chore Boy trick is much faster.

You are right, you generally have to let the Foul Out set overnight to do it's job. Or if you are in a position where you can keep an eye on it during the day; sometitmes it takes 4-6 hours.

But, you can not be in a hurry with the Foul Out, that's for sure.

If you are worried about using a brush on the barrel go buy a copper pot scrubber. Cut it in pieces and run it in the bore. You can use Kroil or Break Free with the copper scruber and the lead will come out very eaisly. ( This is the way Wilson Combat recommends cleaning the barrels on their guns) I switched to Black Bullets INtl instead of lead and eliminated the problem with leading. The cost of BBI bullets is not much more than lead. It is alot better than cleaning a leaded barrel.

Edited by Jaxshooter

• 7 months later...

I don't like brushes either. I use Birchwood-Casey Lead Remover & Polishing cloth and cut it into patches. RB-17 works good too. Easiest thing for me is shoot a few jacketed bullets at the end of the shooting session. Not usually possible after a match though.

plus 1.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are worried about using a brush on the barrel go buy a copper pot scrubber. Cut it in pieces and run it in the bore. You can use Kroil or Break Free with the copper scruber and the lead will come out very eaisly. ( This is the way Wilson Combat recommends cleaning the barrels on their guns) I switched to Black Bullets INtl instead of lead and eliminated the problem with leading. The cost of BBI bullets is not much more than lead. It is alot better than cleaning a leaded barrel.

I let the barrel soak in Kroil over night and then use the bronze wool wrapped around the old bore brush. I have actually chucked this knto a cordless drill and SLOWLY spun the brush in and out of the bore. Within minutes, its lead free and clean. I love Kroil.

Mike

I can shoot 200-300 rounds and only need an oiled patch to clean my barrel. If you're getting leading, there's something wrong.

Yes, most likely too small of bullets or they are being swaged down when seated/crimped.

You have to really flare most cases to seat lead without swaging them down at all.

Kroil or some other penetrating oil, soak for 15-20 minutes. Wrap a "Chore boy" (copper scrubbing pad, found in cleaning supply aisle of local Walmart/Meijer/misc. Grocery store) around a brass bristle bore brush so that it fits nice and snug in the bore. Even the thickest leading will come right out.