Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carrying Props

BDH

I've got a stage design that I've been working on that would force the shooter to pick up a 'prop' in the middle of the stage, and carry it through the end of the stage. Carrying this prop would force most people to shoot stronghand only, but I tried it, and I can get into a freestyle grip (although, it puts both my arms into a weird shooting position).

I'm not worried about forcing people to shoot stronghand only, or with a weird grip, but since everyone would end up having to do at least one reload (and revolvers would have to do several), I don't want someone putting out a contract on me for designing a stage that would require a tough reload (or reloads) because of the prop involved. I am not going to tell you what the prop is, but will tell you that you will not be able to put it in your mouth, pocket, etc., as it is too large, and it does not have a handle. :blink:

What do you think? Afterall, everyone shoots within their own Division, so everyone deals with the same challenge.......

Is it just a goofy gimmick or does the prop add value and meaning to the shooting test? Does the addition of the prop compromise safety? Does the prop place an undue burden on any particular group of shooters, i.e. juniors, people of small stature? In other words, does the prop enhance the shooting test or does the prop make it a test of physical agility? After considering the answers to those questions, you should find it easy to decide.

I agree with Ron. Most of the props are a stage designers idea of humor and do nothing for the actual shooting contest. I still have nightmares from my CAS days of riding a stick horse while shouting a mandatory cowboylike slogan. That's what drew me to IPSC was the seriousness of the shooting. Not the cheesy gimmmicks.

Okay, as usual, good feedback. Ron, you certainly gave me some things to 'think' about. One answer I will give is that this is certainly something that a junior could carry, and if you have a junior shooter in your house, you also have the prop I am thinking of! :D

The deal here is that the prop is thematically related to the stage, and as for doing something for the shooting contest..... well, let's just say that 1) I think most would shoot stronghand (since I can not define stronghand in a field course, the prop pretty much forces it); and 2) everyone shoots the same COF.....

The only thing that I am 'potentially' concerned about, would be someone trying to juggle a prop, while doing a reload. It certainly would not be the first time that has happened, but I don't know if I want to force it.....

The only thing that I am 'potentially' concerned about, would be someone trying to juggle a prop, while doing a reload. It certainly would not be the first time that has happened, but I don't know if I want to force it.....

From a safety stand point I'd consider inserting wording to allow the shooter to set the prop down to reload.

At the MASC --- see stage above ---- the shooter had the option of setting the can down and shooting ---- but was not allowed to use his hands to help activate the device that covered/uncovered two ports --- so most shooters carried it anyway, shooting targets on the way stronghand only. This issue can also be addressed with the proper use of vision barriers --- who's gonna want to set down and pick up the prop three or four times?

I see lots of options for you ---- unless you really want to force the shooter to shoot a whole field course strong hand only.....

Please please please DO NOT force a reload with a prop - keep the required rounds fired to 10 with it in your hand.

What about revolver shooters? And the occational person who shoots a P7M8????

Kevin

I've had to shoot stages carrying a big ass heavy dummy...... no,,,,that's not counting me as the dummy. :rolleyes:

Basically, it was a carry the hostage to safety scenario....The dummy was relatively heavy,,,,50,,,,75 lbs or so.

The broader sholdered folks among us just threw it on our sholder and and went flying down range.

Let's see H4444 = 310 lbs,,,,75 lbs hostage,,,,,,10 lbs of uspsa gear,,,,,that was damn near 400 lbs of kneecaps, elbows, and lead flying downrange.

YEEE HAAWWW,,,,,,might have to drag that dummy out again sometime.......

H4444

I had a similar stage as BDH describes at our last shoot. The prop was a suitcase and weighed ±5kg. Start with prop carried in strong hand and engage targets AOFS, 32 rounds with many PT's and targets underneath/behind/on top of hard cover over an area of 20x30m....and it was FUN. We did allow putting down the prop for reloads/jams/etc, but if you wanna pull the trigger the case had to be in your HANDS or HAND...

So, go for it and have FUN

I don't like carrying props or some of the weird start positions. If you want someone to shoot strong hand or week hand come up with a new creative standards (if there is such a thing). I'm not referring to you Brian, but on the local level most of the time when a carry props is added to a stage it's because a person did not want to put the extra effort into stage design.

I you want someone to shoot strong hand or week hand come up with a new creative standards (if there is such a thing).

How about the 2003 FGN, and the drycleaning stage where you had to slide the hanger (or trolley or whatever it was) through most of the stage? The stage complied with 1.1.5, but basically forced you to shoot stronghand..... :huh:

Jon, I fully agree that all shooters must have the same challenge, so while I did not see BJ on the stage, he could have been disadvantaged by stage design. I assure you, that what I am considering will give the same challenge to TGO and BJ.... ;)