Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

% of target available with Soft Cover?

SmittyFL

Quick question I can't find in the book.

Is there an unobscured % requirement available for a target obscured by soft cover.

For example if you designated corrugated plastic as soft cover, that you could not see through do you have to have a certain amount of the target visible above, or below? Portion of the head? Or if a classic target portion of the A zone??

My thoughts for a stage are to have just a peep visible to be able to reference the target then shoot through the soft cover but not sure if that's legal.

Any thoughts???

Thanks.

I'm sure you saw this in the rulebook. "A portion" is a little vague. I think "a peep" meets that definition.

ETA: As a shooter, I would hope the visible portion would be enough for me to have a rough idea of the outline of the target. If all I can see is a small brown square of target through the softcover, it doesn't really tell me where the target ends. If I can see the top of the head, I can guess at the rest of the outline of the target.

4.1.4 Targets used in a course of fire may be partially or wholly hidden through the use of hard or soft cover:

4.1.4.1 Cover provided to hide all or a portion of a target will be considered hard cover. When possible hard cover should not be simulated but constructed using impenetrable materials (see Rule 2.1.3). Whole paper targets must not be used solely as hard cover.

4.1.4.2 Cover provided merely to obscure targets is considered soft cover. Shots which have passed through soft cover and which strike a scoring target will score. Shots that have passed through soft cover before hitting a no-shoot will be penalized. All scoring zones on targets hidden by soft cover must be left wholly intact. Targets obscured by soft cover must either be visible through the soft cover or a portion of the affected target(s) must be visible from around or over the soft cover.

4.1.4.2 Cover provided merely to obscure targets is considered soft

cover. Shots which have passed through soft cover and which

strike a scoring target will score. Shots that have passed through

soft cover before hitting a no-shoot will be penalized. All scoring zones on targets hidden by soft cover must be left wholly

intact. Targets obscured by soft cover must either be visible

through the soft cover or a portion of the affected target(s) must

be visible from around or over the soft cover.

As long as one of the edges of the target is visible in a way that allows any shooter to determine its orientation and location it is a legal target. I have seen targets with just a bit of the head visible, just a bit of the bottom, and even either the left or right side visible. I have also seen targets entirely behind snow fence so that the entire target is obscured by the fencing.

As long as one of the edges of the target is visible in a way that allows any shooter to determine its orientation and location it is a legal target. I have seen targets with just a bit of the head visible, just a bit of the bottom, and even either the left or right side visible. I have also seen targets entirely behind snow fence so that the entire target is obscured by the fencing.

While that is a good idea for stage designers to follow, the "legal" assertion is not correct. But what Juan said is even more crtiical...the target obscuration must reamin constant throughout the match or then it is not only bad management, but a stage that should be tossed. Tough to do.

My preference for target behind soft cover is to leave the shooter with a choice. Take the semi-visible target through the soft cover to save time, or move to a different location the gives you a clean view of the target. An example would be leaving the D zone and maybe a chunk of the C zone visible. Now the shooter can take an educated guess on where the A zone is located or move several feet to the side and have a clean shot at the A zone. I do not like to use soft cover that fully obscures the target for the reasons documented by juan.

The soft cover we offer at matches most often means you wont be able to see the whole target anywhere within the COF. Otherwise it would totally defeat the whole point, but the head or "upper scoring area" is fully visible at all times. We never use turtle targets behind soft cover.

The soft cover we offer at matches most often means you wont be able to see the whole target anywhere within the COF. Otherwise it would totally defeat the whole point, but the head or "upper scoring area" is fully visible at all times. We never use turtle targets behind soft cover.

You could though, you'd just need a portion at the top to be visible....

You could though, you'd just need a portion at the top to be visible....

Agreed, but the only thing I hate more than shooting turtle targets is scoring them.

While that is a good idea for stage designers to follow, the "legal" assertion is not correct. But what Juan said is even more crtiical...the target obscuration must reamin constant throughout the match or then it is not only bad management, but a stage that should be tossed. Tough to do.

If you were planning that, you'd want some distance between muzzle and soft cover, and you'd want to replace the soft cover often enough that the appearance would be virtually unchanged for every shooter. You might be replacing the softcover every 6-12 shooters, depending on material used and distance from free fire zone.