Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

I just read every post and got to the end, and I'm sorta disappointed, I want more, hit was such an informative and humbling post that all I can say "Wow". I'm looking forward to the continuation of this thread, hope to see more good work come out and can't wait to see how your 2011 looks with the two-tone finished, that .45 with the bobtail is gonna be a nice carry tool. Wow, keep it the good work and please add more content to this thread.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read every post and got to the end, and I'm sorta disappointed, I want more, hit was such an informative and humbling post that all I can say "Wow". I'm looking forward to the continuation of this thread, hope to see more good work come out and can't wait to see how your 2011 looks with the two-tone finished, that .45 with the bobtail is gonna be a nice carry tool. Wow, keep it the good work and please add more content to this thread.

Thank you! I will keep updating as often as I have something to build!

@Daniel et al.

Here is an image of my most used hand tools for building up a 1911/2011. There are more specialized and exotic tools and jigs to be had and I am trying to get all of those too! ;P

Most are just basic tools and pennies make a nice way to vise up a small part without marring it. You need to flatten the raised portion on your vise anvil first. Marvel sear jig and polishing stones. Brass and aluminum round bar to hit stuff without marring the surface like sights. Not pictured is a dead blow hammer for fitting slides. The Demel bits are a cutting, sanding and Cratex wheels.

My measuring tools are uncalibrated cheapies. I am upgrading those soon but set I am looking at is SPENDY! Oh well buy once cry once. I also will have on Monday a 12x9 Machinist's granite surface plate for a perfectly flat surface to use those upgraded measuring tools on!

tools.jpg

Fit all of the lower parts on the Commander while waiting for the carbide dovetail cutter and 1/4 End mill to arrive so I can cut the sights. It feels and points incredibly well!

There is still a bit left to do. I am going to do a french cut again and because of the centering issue I am opting not to Tri-Top this one. More difficult and intricate slide cuts will be left for future builds.

comm_right.jpg

comm_left.jpg

comm_front.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Your vise looks identical to the one I have

It is a great little vise, Home Depot, 50 bucks. One day I will get a Machinist's bench vise but there are much better ways to blow a $500 bill, like a frame and a few parts!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Well I have shared a bunch of WIN with you all and now I am sharing an EPIC FAIL!!!

I inadvertently bumped the Y Axis button on the pendant and BOOM a new cosmetic detail!

:-/

fail.jpg

I did some PhotoChopping and this is what it will look like if I finish the french cut. Then I just need to make the same "Happy little accident" on the other side.

fail_fix1.jpg

This is what it would look like if I personified it and gave it Scary Teeth!! ;-P

teeth.jpg

Not sure which way to go but this is the lesson I needed to learn and I assure you I have. I have implemented a failsafe for this so it won't happen in the future.

Sh*t...

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I like it, that could almost look intentional and well done if your brave enough to do the other side. I'd buy that for a dollar (well a lot more I'm sure).

Edit. After looking at it some more, you might want to put a few teeth on the dust cover, when the slide is back it would look like a dragon eating something, kinda fitting as they will eat up your ammo :P

Edited by t1nm4n

sh*t happens bro, learn and move on :) and have a few drinks lol.

Could be welded up though if you wanted too. If not match the other side and it'll be a one off for sure!

I broke a $600 casting a couple weeks ago. Didn't see an internal snap ring on the blue print. Went to press a bearing off and kablamo! Don't know if that'll make you feel any better, but misery might like a little company. I definitely had a couple when I got home.

ETA how about a smiley face? Make it a happy gun. Would be a cool cnc job to make the arc.

Edited by kevinj308

I do see a af few IPA's in my near future!

Welding is a possibility. I was also thinking along the lines of a cut like you would do if there were side ports in the barrel, try to make it look like intentional lightning cuts. Since it is a sight tracker I don't want to weaken the slide to much.

Whatever you o you got to do to the other side, it's gonna be cool no matter what. It's your gun and you got to make it the way you want it, so what if something veered you off coarse, it's still your gun no matter what happens.

Those elongated ports from post 215, maybe just one small one on either side, something different.

I'm digging this. But I'm still so iffy bout a mill. I can't do CNC one cause of funds and two I don't know anything bout it. Plus still having to learn how to set up pieces in the vise and all that and which end to measure from and how to set depth of cuts and all that. Sheesh it's scary. Which tools to buy other than hand tools I have looked at catalogs and there are so many diff types of end mills and sizes and so many diff things one needs it seems.

BUT IM THINKIG OF TRYING A HAND TOOL BUILD. Fitting the slide/frame with files and elbow grease and the barrel then send it for cuts and chambering.

I wanna get the Jerry K books and the AGI videos and go through those before I do anything I think.

I think if I was just shown how and explained in detail how to do each step on a mill I could do it and by hand as well.

Maybe one of y'all needs to make a complete video and instruction book!!! Lol

DId you give up on doing a frame?

Inspired by this thread, I ended years of procrastination and installed a CNC Fusion kit on my X2 and I'm not able to get the head to stop "wagging" side to side when I reverse direction on the Z axis... It's less than 0.0005, but it's annoying the hell out of me. I get tool marks any time I move the Z, so I have to make sure I move the tool away from the workpiece before I retract.

If I tighten the gibs (which the crappy Z axis design makes challenging) up enough to eliminate it, then the whole Z axis motor mount moves. I think I'm going to have to redesign the Z-axis ballscrew mount so that it is centered instead of side mounted.

Have you seen the same issue?