Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is if you ever get tired of that beauty send me a msg, I'll be glad to take it off your hands ;) I just got done doing my first thumb safety and grip safety by hand, I'm thinking I'd rather have the mill and make my own gun from scratch.

20130501_204515.jpgA little cnc pr0n...

I having a lot of fun optimizing my program and fixturing for this part which is kind of silly since it's for Open Class Marvel unit 1 .22 Bianchi cup guns. ... I bet there are only 50 or so of those in the world. .. Talk about a tiny market :)

At first I was doing these 1 at a time using 4 tools and 2 fixtures. 2 fixtures meant accuracy suffered a little if wasn't super careful when moving from one to the other. .. then I went to the 8x fixture but still had to use two fixtures. (Was drilling the mounting holes first then using those to hold the part while I cut the perimeter. )

Learned how to use g52 and g51 for the 8x program. . Very cool.

Then I got rid of the drill and countersunk tool changes by using the .125 end mill that I need for the lightening slot for the mounting hole too.. This takes a lot longer than drllling but without an ATC it's worth the tradeoff to me.

Then after a lot of experimenting and scrap parts I figured out how to eliminate the second setup by leavng .025 tabs... I can snap the tabs off and clean up in about 10 seconds with a piece of sandpaper.

20130501_204311.jpg

@ Griz - That is outstanding! Especially for a high demand part! ;-P

@ Daniel - Buy the book and watch some videos and start learning a little at a time. Once you feel like you are ready to take on the challenge, DO IT!!!!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Never be talked out of something you really want to do. Find a way to make it happen. I have never touched a mill until I helped the truck driver unload mine. I built an open gun and now building a limited as well.

A little cnc pr0n...

I having a lot of fun optimizing my program and fixturing for this part which is kind of silly since it's for Open Class Marvel unit 1 .22 Bianchi cup guns. ... I bet there are only 50 or so of those in the world. .. Talk about a tiny market :)

Congratulations are in order - not only have you manufactured EXCELLENT looking product..... you have identified a niche market and almost cornered it in one production run. :surprise:

@ Griz - That is outstanding! Especially for a high demand part! ;-P

@ Daniel - Buy the book and watch some videos and start learning a little at a time. Once you feel like you are ready to take on the challenge, DO IT!!!!

May I ask what book you are referring? am interested, also

Thank you

Melvin

I took the Commander out to the range yesterday for a real test drive. Put 200 or so rounds through her and What A Machine!!!

Flat and fast tack driver. I did not have a timer with me but I am pretty in tune with my timing and I bet my fastest splits were .13-.14! I took my boss and our Sales VP out shooting with me and I had them shoot it so I could watch it move and MAN IS IT FLAT! I gotta say that this is the best 1911 I have built to date and can say without a doubt that the Schuemann hybrid in this config is amazing. I will be building more of these for sure.

Now on to the next project!

Phoenix Trinity Frame with an STI grip unless the PT grip I am in line for ships.

Caspian Bald .40 slide

Schuemann .40 No Port hybrid sight tracker barrel.

Not sure what cuts I am going to attempt on this but the sight will be a Bo-Mar style and that cut will be a first for me.

Let's get it on!

sighttrackerstart.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

That will be a fun build for sure. I'm in the middle of a Pheonix Trinity FDC frame limited build as we type. I can't get enough of this stuff. My garage is like Vegas....no clocks and hours feel like minutes.

That will be a fun build for sure. I'm in the middle of a Pheonix Trinity FDC frame limited build as we type. I can't get enough of this stuff. My garage is like Vegas....no clocks and hours feel like minutes.

So where did you learn how to do all this since you hadn't touched a mill until helping unload it??

I learned by watching the videos,reading the book and by doing it. I am a mechanic by trade. I know you can do it as well. As far as the mill. It is alot to learn and I have made some mistakes. Start out with easier cuts and work your way up. Go slow and measure and mark ALOT.

Yeah you ain't kiddin'. My trigger finger is atrophying!

Tuesday it is! Might shoot 2 guns gonna try to get there early and shoot the commander and my open gun. (Maybe just the 45 knowing me)

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Looking good Jared!

Going with the RTS for the dot? That is the way I think I am going for the Open build.

Very cool using a facing mill to flat top it. What is the advantage going that route?

Face mill is easy to setup, and you can do other operations in that same setup. But the main reason is surface finish, it's hard to beat the finish from a face mill, it's much cleaner right off the machine than a profile cut. I still have a bunch of stuff to do to the slide before it's done.

The RTS is my back-up plan for MGM Ironman, I'm going to modify the Cheely mount down to 3 screws, and pocket out the center as well. First off I'm hoping the gun is finished and proven reliable before the match. But I'm actually designing an optic from scratch for the gun, kinda think of everything you ever wished for in an open gun optic - and this is it. Just not sure I'll have it done and shaken out before Ironman, if not then the goal will be before the Northwest Multigun. I've also got a killer holster and quick release belt system part way through testing for 3 Gun stuff - but had to stop and shift focus to getting this pistol built.

Edited by jid2