Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

A quick estimate looks like around 8 mins of cutting time at 10 IPM (15 lines at 5" long). Add in some rapids and other movement and you are at 10-12 mins. If you use a fixture in a vise looks like a 15 min job.

Cool, I am going to write something and give it a go on some scrap stock.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the feed rate by a number, there is no numbers on the power feed. I can't turn it by hand as slow and steady, I go by the chips and the sound of the mill/cutter. Some slides are harder than others so adjustments must be made for each one. I use the EGW cutter and set-up on the Plate fixture.

Rich

That's awesome. I really like to see folks who truly build something. It is like nails down a chalkboard when I hear someone say they "just built an AR" ...when actually they only assembled it!! In my mind there is a definite distinction between the two....and you can now properly claim to have actually buit your accomplishments. I'm envious and watch from the outside looking in.

It is like nails down a chalkboard when I hear someone say they "just built an AR" ...when actually they only assembled it!!

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Getting ready to make the ramped barrel cuts in my frame. Gotta program the toolpaths and maybe do it this weekend.

I checked out your thread on the other site and as a 20+ year CNC machinist/programmer (previous occupation) I have to say I am jealous. 'Cuz I ain't got no toys like this!

I'll also add that I'm impressed. Great work on setting the machine up and you are off to a hell of a start at using it. :cheers:

I've been out of the industry for about 10 years. Are there any of these desktop CAM systems that will do simultaneous 4 or 5 axis machining?

People try and build 5 axis machines out of the hobby grade benchtop stuff, but it's really not able to do what it needs to. 4th axis is working solid if done correctly, but with less than commercial grade resolution.

The CAM software does exist to do 4th and 5th Axis simultaneous at semi-affordable cost, but it's not nearly as good as well, the good stuff. My day job is spent in Solidworks designing stuff, so I have a low tolerance for crappy CAM software and have pretty much gravitated to SolidCam and HSMworks, both of which cost north of $10K, which is more than the $8K I have into my machine. For now I use the free 2.5D version of HSMWorks, and am trying to get work to buy the full 3D version and a Haas MiniMill.

That's one of the reasons I've never tried to build one and I was wondering if it was worth a new look. I just don't trust stepper motors not to skip steps. And I want at least 4 axis.

This is a problem I am working through. I have had my speeds set to fast and I was losing steps. I had to slow things down quite a bit. Since this is just a hobby I don't mind it going slow as I learn but would love to get a bigger, faster more powerful machine once I have the hang of this.

@jid2 how much better are the servo motors than the steppers at not losing steps?

Servo motors have encoders built in, so they never lose steps. If the motor stalls, the controller knows it.

My Tormach uses stepper motors, and it is something I am concerned about, but as long as I don't take unreasonable cuts it is not a problem.

Servo motors have encoders built in, so they never lose steps. If the motor stalls, the controller knows it.

My Tormach uses stepper motors, and it is something I am concerned about, but as long as I don't take unreasonable cuts it is not a problem.

Thanks!

ETA: Went looking and found this. http://www.cncroutersource.com/stepper-vs-servo.html

Edited by StraightUp_OG

So this weekend's attempt is a AR lower. I just hope to get to the next setup. :-)

Please forgive the dumb question, but why is your toolpath so pronounced? Are you using a ballend mill? Or is your head nodding? Or are the adjacent paths at different depths?

So this weekend's attempt is a AR lower. I just hope to get to the next setup. :-)

Please forgive the dumb question, but why is your toolpath so pronounced? Are you using a ballend mill? Or is your head nodding? Or are the adjacent paths at different depths?

Yeah ball end. This is my first try at a multi tool program and I thought I would do the roughing with a ball end. Since I am a beginner I don't know the rules yet! :-)

Current progress:

ar.jpg