Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta give you props for using HeeksCam, I couldn't get the hang of that at all. It was super handy to convert some .igs models I downloaded online to .stl for MeshCam though.

As always beautiful work in the last few posts. Thanks again for this awesome thread!

Kevin

Being an engineering student i was able to purchase SolidWorks for $100. And now that we have a brand new hass that needs some love im attempting to teach myself VisualMill plugin. It works really well, but i havent figured out how to select it to cut only one feature I.E sight doevtail.

Being an engineering student i was able to purchase SolidWorks for $100. And now that we have a brand new hass that needs some love im attempting to teach myself VisualMill plugin. It works really well, but i havent figured out how to select it to cut only one feature I.E sight doevtail.

Ditch visualmill. Download HSMXpress from hsmworks. That is the best solidworks cam program, and the xpress version is free.

Ditch visualmill. Download HSMXpress from hsmworks. That is the best solidworks cam program, and the xpress version is free.

My School uses visual mill to write for the HAAS so thats what i got. Ill check out HSMXpress though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have a cosmetic issue with the 6'er and it needs to go to the welder. When I was finishing the barrel fit I needed to take a little more material off of the rib slot on the top of the slide and I must have fell a sleep and I took a few hundredths too much off and the gap, albeit very small, is just too much to bare. Always learning and it's only metal.

So in the mean time I have this life long friend who is celebrating a milestone and I am building him a 1911 as a gift. He is current LEO and has served our country with pride. More on that story later.

I decided to steal the top end from the first 2011 build in this thread and put it on a Caspian frame I got in a trade. (The 2011 frame rails will be welded up and recut for another project.) I am contemplating Hi-Power cuts as one more detail on the slide and the frame was not checkered so I figured lets go all out on this one.

I have not cut a front strap by hand in 10 years, I remember why now. The PAIN!!!! Got a Marvel jig for this job and man is it nice. The lines so far are straight. My images below are poor but it is showing the progress. 30LPI

I flush cut and crowned the barrel.

I am also going to do a Briley weld on magwell on this pistol since I am going to the welder anyway. ;-P Never done a weld on so another first.

More to come with this build and it will be quick since the date fast approaches. I hope I get it done in time.

j1911a.jpg

CRAPPY PIC but only took this one not sure why.

j1911b.jpg

j1911c.jpg

j1911d.jpg

j1911e.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Progress.

Cut .250 off of the frame for the magwell and it fits like a glove. I will need to punch the hole for the mainspring housing pin after the welding so I needed to get the mill indicated to make it easier. I improvised by adapting the checkering jig that has holes for the grip screw bushings so I can get the frame back into position and clamp it down.

The checkering is nothing to write home about but it should pass after blasting and finishing at least it's straight.

setup.jpg

magwell.jpg

jig.jpg

framejig.jpg

welljig.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG