Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

Speedy Delivery Guy dropped off on my door step an amazing piece of work. A SS Phoenix Trinity textured grip. So as soon as I could I got it on the 6'er frame.

The workmanship is top notch and fit like a glove. It really changed the balance of the gun and it just feels like a gun should. This is my first metal grip for the 2011 platform and I am diggin' on it! I will be acquiring more that is for certain!

I also started the Bomar cut tonight. I got just a little further than the pic shows. I started the dovetail cut and my HSS cutter is plum wore out and just won't make it through the slide. Just ordered a carbide cutter and the slide will have to live in the vise until it gets here since it's all setup.

ptgrip.jpg

bomar_start.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found the mag changes are much more of a positive feel with the metal grips, then we have the feel of the gun. Like you said it feels right. PT has done a great job with these grips. All my 2011's I own and will get will be sporting these PT grips. Great job Brian.

Should you need really nice carbide tools like dovetails and t slots cutters, especially the hard ones to find... Harvey Tool is awesome. Resellers are hard to find on the web, but this place has them and they drop ship from Harvey with 2 day air.

https://www.walterhammond.com/storefrontCommerce/

Thanks for that link. Harvey Tools is really top notch, but I hated having to call the local rep to order. Having a way to order online is perfect.

You would think that with the versatility and accessibility of Internet stores that sales reps would be upping their game for customer services rather than keeping the same old, if you want the it you'll just have to deal with me.

On a separate note, how do these grips hold up to the rigors of an open gun, I read the aluminum grips are a no-no for open guns because they get battered so quickly.

Thanks

Brian told me major power factor no problem, his PT Aluminum grips are NOT gonna crack,fatigue or fail. Better grade Aluminum and beefed up in the right places. Now I'm shooting limited. Just give him an email he shoots straight about his work. Thanks.

Edited by a matt

The sight cut is almost complete. Got the new dovetail cutter and finished that up. Used a 3/8 end mill to start the pocket and finished with a 3/16 end mill. I still need to do the tasty bevel for the windage screw and need to drill and tap the elevation adjustment screw hole but I am pretty darn happy with how it turned out. The dovetail will be better on the next one since I won't need another cutter (I hope!). It's like I just completed a rite of passage. :-)

bcutting.jpg

bomarcut.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

The fit is exceptional. I don't have a metal mainspring housing for it yet so I put a STI plastic one in with the egw grip safety and it is beautiful. Could not be happier with the fit and finish. I am in Orlando all this week for work -yea! :-( but next Tue. I will bring it out so you can fondle it.

Thanks guys!

The list of what I started with is at the beginning of this thread. I have not made a list of what I would have changed but I can. Keep a lookout as I will post it here.

thanks,

I plan on ordering a setup the first week of November.

I did find a MicroLux CNC milling machine on craigslist fr $2500.

But I think a better deal will be on a LMS and doing a conversion myself.

Edited by hanau

• 2 weeks later...