Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

Got my Cheeley RTS mount in today! man that mount is small and cute! Never thought I would call a scope mount cute...

:goof:

I'm transitioning from cute toward fricken' amazing.

20130613_205039.jpg

20130613_205335.jpg

Dude, this sight is SUPER FRICKEN AMAZING. This is what I want in a sight. Please hurry up and finish so we can order one.

Edited by actionshooter38

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well while we are waiting for Jared to blow our minds some more. Here is a quick update.

Not much done. Cut frame for the para/clark ramp and it went just fine. Followed Schuemann's instructions and BOOM! Finish fitting the hood and got the comp dry fitted.

She is coming along and I decided that I would just get the tan RTS since Natchez had it for $352 which is almost $70 cheaper than I have been able to find. The tan will change the finish direction I was thinking about going.

rcopen.jpg

comp2.jpg

nopen1.jpg

Don't forget to put a filleted edge break on the slot of the frame. That is needed for relief of the fillet section of the lower lug on the barrel. Dremel is the easiest way to go about it.

Just do it on your machine with a contour type toolpath and your slide in the vise on its side and square to the machine. Create a 1 degree profile or contour in your CAM and make it do it in small steps, start a little at a time and program it to take more than you will need. Then when you post code go back and manually edit and insert an M1 pause after each small pass. This will allow you to ease up on it. You cam remove the slide if you set the guide rod area against the edge of the jaws, that creates a repeatable setup. Dykem helps see how much comes off each pass.

I did this same thing in the first slude video u posted in this thread.

Not much time last week but I managed to get the reverse plug cut done. Here is my setup and it shows the range of the little mill. I am using the EGW carbide reamer with pilot. Although the use of the 123 blocks as a vise is not ideal it worked just perfect and this cut took all of 2 mins.

Also got the RTS in and mocked it up with the DAA thumb rest for a quick pic. The desert tan is Gold no matter what C-More says. ;-P

revplug.jpg

stslf.jpg

You mean two Dillion's in the family room,and she wonders why I run out of the back door when she vacuums the dropped primers.That makes her special? Shot the all classifier at Ben Avery this am about 106 degrees,there was about 40 other shooting enthusiasts with questionable intellect enjoying the Sonoran balmy weather.

I have been busy and it has been hot but I really wanted to get another thing done since I would like to shoot this bad boy. Being impatient and needing to cut the 1 degree on the face of the slide for the comp relief I decided not to go the programming route and just do a simple setup. The angle finder is perfectly calibrated (confirmed with math) and the setup this way took 1 minute and I could still get the barrel in to check the fit while walking it in. Sharpied up the face of the slide and walked it in a few thousands at a time until the marker was gone checking with the comp and barrel as I cut.

Took 10 minutes total time and barely broke a sweat! ;-P

compcutsup.jpg

compcut1.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Loving this thread!! Great stuff.

Excuse my ignorance - but is the angle you have cut the right way? I would have thought it was 1 degree the opposite way to allow the top of the comp to move backwards as the barrel unlocks?

It is not about the barrel unlocking it is about the barrel locking up. The 1911 has a 1 degree angle at lockup, If that angle was cut the other way, when the barrel locked up, it would hit the face of the slide at the bottom of the comp.

Edited by StraightUp_OG