Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another DQ question

swhiteh3

I was running the timer during a local USPSA stage and there was an AD during the reload. The AD was sent downrange (it hit the side berm about 20-30' downrange of the shooter), nowhere near the 180* limit, and the firearm was kept under control at all times. He very quickly recovered from the botched reload that caused the AD, and he continued. I decided to let the shooter continue, and he did so safely. After talking to shooters more senior than me, I decided there should be no DQ.

Can someone clarify what the "right" decision should have been?

So the finger was inside the trigger guard during reloading? Would seem to have to be, if the gun went off. If not, the gun itself is unsafe (for instance, hammer follow on slide drop). Seems to be a DQ for finger violation (10.5.9). Hopefully you were in a spot to see the finger/gun during reload.

Edited by Adam Sills

10.4.3 A shot which occurs while loading, reloading or unloading a handgun. This includes any shot fired during the procedures outlined in Rule 8.3.1 and Rule 8.3.7.

Should have been a DQ and the shooter should have been stopped immediately. On a personal opinion, if a shooter has an AD during a reload then the shooter does not have control of the gun, regardless of what is perceived. If he had control over what is going on then he would not have had an AD

Mad- You are correct, I should have said the muzzle was in control, not the gun.

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I need to suck it up and grow the attachments necessary to DQ another competitor. I know it's our safety on the line....

SW-DQing someone is never fun, but is a necessary part of being an RO. I have had to DQ friends before, never gets easier but helps them grow as a competitor and helps you grow as an RO in your ability to run folks. You can almost bet that if someone gets DQed, they will not make that particular mistake again.

Although this was a "safe" A.D., there really is no such thing. It was an accident, a shot that wasn't meant to happen.

As an R.O., you're there to enforce the rules and ensure safety. Just because everyone was lucky and this wasn't an issue, still against the rules :unsure:

Not to use an extreme example, but it's OK to drink and drive if I make it home safe and don't damage any persons/property?

After talking to shooters more senior than me, I decided there should be no DQ.

I'm curious, what was the consensus from these shooters that made you decide there should be no DQ? What you described seems pretty black and white to me. Should have been Stopped immediately and DQ'd. We weren't there, so we can only go by your description of the incident, but it appears to be a DQ.

If you are ever in doubt, stop the shooter. After reviewing the situation, it may be that everything is OK and the shooter gets a reshoot. More likely, it will be a DQ, but the time to make the decision is right then and there.

Mad- You are correct, I should have said the muzzle was in control, not the gun.

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I need to suck it up and grow the attachments necessary to DQ another competitor. I know it's our safety on the line....

Please take this to heart....I've run a few shooters and in all that time, I've only ever DQ'd one competitor. Me.

As for the rest, I was just there to say Stop! and process the paperwork.

As an RO, you don't DQ shooters. They DQ themselves.

Be vigilant with respect to safety. Our very lives depend upon it.

Imagine for a moment, another accident later that day and one of the following consequences:

One of your friends is the shooter, and someone else is hurt.

The round hits one of your friends.

Multiple friends of yours are sued, personally, as are you.

We have to be diligent in enforcing the safety rules in order to protect everyone at the match -- not just from injury, but from a potential lawsuit to follow....