Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help decide which versamax to buy

gstar

I need to get a non-open shotgun and have read a number of positive threads here about the versamax, but I don't see any clear answer about what model is ideal. My local gun shop has the zombie 22 inch, tactical 22 inch, real tree HD 26 inch, and normal synthetic 26 inch models in stock.

It used to be (when I was researching last year) that the 22 inch tactical was the most commonly recommended, but lately the standard synthetic 26 inch seems to be most recommended. The real tree HD model seems to be the same as the standard synthetic but with extended chock instead of internal chock.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Edited by gstar

I shot all of last year with the 22" tactical model and was very happy with it. All I added was a +1 end cap from Roulette Tactical. There is nothing wrong with getting a 26" gun and building it up but I think the tactical with a +1 or +2 cap will be all you really ever need. Other opinions may vary.

No question, dude. Get the VMax Tactical. I bought the original 26" VMax and had the barrel cut to 22" and re-threaded for Briley chokes. It was an added expense that I'd avoid if I had to do it over again. Also, the first 26" VMax had a design defect, which happened to me, where the firing pin retainer falls out. The VMax Tactical fixed this problem.

Just make sure those slugs shoot straight when you get the VMax. Mine did not so I had to use the advanced shotgun POI tool.

Good luck!

Pardon my ignorance, but is the 3.5inch capacity necessary for anything?

Also, if I'm planning on running 10 or 11+1, won't the magazine tube stick so far out past a 22inch barrel that the extra barrel length is irrelevant. This is what I gather from reading the thread by co-exprs. What downside would there be to the barrel being longer? Wouldn't the extra length make it more multifunctional for other shooting?

Edited by gstar

A friend of mine just got a green zombie 22 inch, nice gun. I got to shoot it and was surprised how nice it was. I think it's the first versamax I've shot, it had me thinking of getting one haha. I think it's the same as the tactical just with the fancy paint. If zombies are your thing, go for it, otherwise the tactical would be a great shotgun.

The 3.5 inch capacity is for waterfoul hunting. Sometimes geese and swans needs that little extra half inch! That is why it is offered in the longer barreled versions of the gun. You won't ever use a 3.5 inch shell in competition.

Edited by Zmego

Also, if I'm planning on running 10 or 11+1, won't the magazine tube stick so far out past a 22inch barrel that the extra barrel length is irrelevant. This is what I gather from reading the thread by co-exprs. What downside would there be to the barrel being longer? Wouldn't the extra length make it more multifunctional for other shooting?

The VMax with 22.5" barrel is on the left with a 10-shot tube. From L-R, VMax 22", Benelli M2 21", Mossberg 930JM 24" and the FN SLP Mk1 22".

sxvss.png

Edited by Phong Nguyen

You are correct. With a 10 shot magazine, the tube is the same as a 26" barrel. Either one will be fine pick your poison. I personally like the 26". I like the longer sight radius for long slugs since we often shoot slugs out to 100yrds in my neck of rhe woods. I also like how the 26" swings on birds. If the rules limited me to 8 or 9 I would proly go with the 22", but I run a 10rd magazine. The additional 4" of barrel isn't noticable . The old retainer problem was corrected a year ago and I prefer the larger Nordic charge handle and the one piece mag tube (which will be available soon). Cost will be a wash as a 22" with +2 cap will be pretty close to the same cost as a 26" with Carbon Arms one piece magazine. I can't lie though... A 24" would probably hit the sweet spot for most people. If you just can't decide... rumor has it Remington is working on some additional models for 2013, like a turkey model and such. Might be interesting to see what hits in a market.

Truth be told... Most preople think the zombie tactical is silly. I kinda like it. : )

Edited by co-exprs

I'm running a 11 round tube on my 22" FNH and a 12 round tube on my 21" M2. Doesn't matter how far past the end of the barrel the tube sticks out. I have no problem making 100yd slug shots with either gun. You shave a few Oz's of weight off the end of the gun with the shorter barrel too. You ask about multifunction use with a longer barrel. What other sport/hunting you planning on doing with an 11 or 12 shot shotgun?

I went with the 26 inch real tree field model. I would have preferred the standard black, but the two they had turned out to be 28 inch models. The primary reason I decided against the tactical model was that I just don't like the look of the mag tube sticking out so far past the barrel. I plan on ordering the carbon arms tube when it is released and then sending the gun to Benny Hill. He has a fast turnaround and a good reputation here.

What other sport/hunting you planning on doing with an 11 or 12 shot shotgun?

I also thought the extra length might be better suited for the recreational clay shooting I do. I suppose I could hunt ruffed grouse with it if I wanted. Not sure if there are any capacity restrictions for grouse.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hello: Got to get the Zombie :cheers: I bought one and everyone laughed at it now there are 3 more here. I also bought a 28" barrel for mine to shoot Trap for my son to use. He is 14 but likes the 22" barrel better. I have used the 22" barrel for 5 stand and it works for me. Anyone looking for a 28" barrel. The Zombie runs every shell I have used in it so far and is still very clean after 1500 rounds or so. I still need to install a rear sight for slugs and some other mods. Remington has a good product and I have heard from some others who are waiting for real wood before they buy one for clay sports. Thanks, Eric