Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 124GR. JHP Back in Stock

renzo808

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the rookie questions but getting into reloading. Do most prefer JHP over CMJ? Why is that?

Is there a different reloading process in reloading JHP vs CMJ? I just bought some dillon dies for my 550b so I just wanted to make sure there is not an extra process to it.

-Dan

No extra process at all! Most have found JHP's to be a little more accurate because of the way they are made. Other than that they are just a bullet.

well, only 8 bucks more than the CMJ, why not!

If i'm just getting into reloading and have just been shooting 115gr walmart federal, is the 124gr a good weight to start reloading at? I know there has been the discussion about 147s vs 124s but I have only shot 115s.

There is a lot of debate between 124 and 147 but very little debate that 115's are not the best choice for minor loads. FWIW I tried 147's but went back to 124's. They felt better to me and you get more for the same money.

Up another 8 bucks per case :angry2: .....I am so tired of everyting going up except our income......this is almost a 12% increase in the last 6 months......I have shot MG exclusively for 6 years....what else is out there though...................

PD costs about the same and are not as good a bullet. Zero's are, and pretty much always have been, nearly impossible to find. Plated don't cut it and cost nearly as much.

Looks like MG is the best thing going. Still.

This is why I switched to extreme bullets. Quite a bit cheaper. We are doing a group but on our forum.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Where is this group buy at? not on BE?

Up another 8 bucks per case :angry2: .....I am so tired of everyting going up except our income......this is almost a 12% increase in the last 6 months......I have shot MG exclusively for 6 years....what else is out there though...................

PD costs about the same and are not as good a bullet. Zero's are, and pretty much always have been, nearly impossible to find. Plated don't cut it and cost nearly as much.

I'll get a case of MG 124jhp to start off. I wonder if they'll let me try a few 147s

There is a lot of debate between 124 and 147 but very little debate that 115's are not the best choice for minor loads. FWIW I tried 147's but went back to 124's. They felt better to me and you get more for the same money.

Same with me - tried both, but liked the 124gr JHPs the best.

Bayou Bullets

Yep, Extreme is the answer, 34,000 124g bullets arriving on Mon, I should be good for a few months ... :)

Unless you got some kind of discount by buying that many you still paid more for those plated bullets than you would MG JACKETED bullets.

Looks like their 124 JHP's are $97 per thousand. I don't see a case price on the site. You can get MG 's 3750 for $348. Extreme works out to about $364 for the same amount of bullets.

Sarge, as I am a new reloader, can you tell me, is the difference between plated & jacketed REALLY that much ?? I just started reloading & started out w 1000 Rainier Ballistics 124g LPRN... I paid $105 w shipping.... so far Im happy with em but I do notice they vary in size (length) by about .009 ... wonder if thats why my OAL vary by .005 -.008 ?? Speak your wisdom please :bow:

Speak your wisdom please :bow:

Good luck with that!

Some guys say plated bullets are fine and others say they have problems. All I can seriously recommend is that you load them up and shoot them. If your loads are consistent over a chrono, feed without issue, group well enough to assure an Alpha at 20 yards, don't keyhole, etc then they will be fine. Accuracy is critical. Make sure they are all of an oal that will feed 100% then make accuracy the number one priority then work on consistency.

Just noticed that Zero's are manuf in Cullman, AL which is about 60 miles north of me....I wonder if they sell retail from the plant?

Edited by DrawandDuck

Since I started shooting last summer I've shot 115, 124 and 147 grain ammo from different manufacturers. I found that I prefer 124 gr. Now that I'm reloading I started with 124 bullets. I will at some point like to try 147 just to see the difference.