Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is Harder - Overcoming Gobbling or Making GM?

Esther

* I'm trying to decide whether to apologize or not for having misled or wasted the time of those who were trying to help me by not stating the relevant facts up front. (Max says I apologize for things that are not my fault. (To which I reply, "Sorry!")) If I did mislead anyone or indirectly provoke an insult, I'm sorry.

Apologise for what? Being new? Buffalo bagels.... Every single person on this thread was new at one point and has gone through the same or very similar startup issues.

I am continually amazed at the willingness of this particular shooting community to share their knowledge and opinions to help out someone who is new. People are stumbling over each other to help you out and while that's a good thing, maybe in this case, it may have been too much of a good thing.

You've just started. IMHO, you're still getting to know your gun and what it needs to perform. That means everything from ammo and maintenance intervals to how to hold it (and how firmly or loosely) so that you give it the best chance to function under a variety of situations.

Do not allow a few malfunctions to distract you from the fact that you had a GREAT match.

I heard there were two DQs Sunday but they weren't you. Sure, there are things to work on, examine, test, etc... but you were safe and you did not DQ.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Esther, isn't it odd that perception forms so much of our reality... Some might take these controversies as negative, the other perception for me is, you are an amazing person to have inspired this much of a following with a simple diary! Nearly 7500 views in about 70 days!!?? If this were a book I'd be thinking, best seller!! :)

Of course, there is an "old adage" that may be relied upon when days like this arise. "The only thing 2 shooters can agree upon, is the 3rd shooter must surely need glasses." ;)

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Hey Ya'll. I apologize for my part in this mess. I will step out from this thread so you guys can proceed as planned. I am fiercely loyal to supporting the shooting industry, especially Springfield Armory and their products. That I became so harsh about it is a flaw that I will work on. Have a nice evening, I'm gonna go load some more 125.0 PF ammo for my Bianchi Cup XDm and 170 PF ammo for my 625.

BritinUSA - Thanks, Paul!

toothguy - Thanks, Tim! I'm glad you think it's a useful thread.

GuildSF4 - You too, Steve!

Jon - I too have been amazed at how many experienced shooters have gone out of their way to help me.

Sleepswithdogs - Thanks, Jim! That means a lot! :)

Rob - It's okay. Have fun training for Bianchi. I truly appreciate your following my progress, and I hope you continue to post (less partisan) advice if and whenever you want. I think I speak for many others as well.

Yesterday's thankful item:

2) David and Jon helping me to source some 9mm ammo! I need to get a reload press soon...

Edited by Esther

Not sure which is harder Esther, overcoming or making GM, but one thing, this is good reading! :)

Tar

Agreed.

Esther if you want to feel REALLY good about your current skills and progress just shoot with me sometime :roflol:

Gary - Not if you practiced more! :D

I shot my XDm for the first time today since cleaning it, and it worked perfectly for ~180 rounds until I tried shooting WHO. Then it malfunctioned almost every shot. Gripping tighter and resting my thumb against the frame seemed to help.

Today's shooting-related thankful items:

3) practicing with David. Takeaways from today: 1) I need to dry-fire reloads using a par timer. I did my first reload in 1.9 sec and turned to David and asked, "1.9 sec isn't horrible for a reload, is it?" And David answered, "Yes it is!" :-p 2) I need to get better at adjusting my speed and what I need to see when going from a close-up "hoser" target to a target that requires more accuracy. (i.e., I need to be able to transition better between targets of different difficulty level).

4) trying David's HK P7M13, which is the second gun I have tried that I have immediately loved (the first was Jeremy's XDm, which is now my competition gun). If I ever get a carry permit, the HK P7M13 is at the top of my list!

5) seeing a toad on the range!

6) Tyler (GreenDragon64) giving me advice on what to do for my shin splints

2) David and Jon helping me to source some 9mm ammo! I need to get a reload press soon...

Reloading is a whole 'nother game and a necessary one (for most) if you want to stretch your shooting dollars. Another benefit is that one can tailor a load to a gun instead of shooting only what is commercially available.

I shot my XDm for the first time today since cleaning it, and it worked perfectly for ~180 rounds until I tried shooting WHO. Then it malfunctioned almost every shot. Gripping tighter and resting my thumb against the frame seemed to help.

Did I call this, or did I call this? :devil: Are you old enough to remember the G.I Joe cartoons? They always ended with some kind of PSA and the catch phrase "Now you know... and knowing is half the battle".

5) seeing a toad on the range!

Have you seen the chickens and rabbits at Richmond?

4) trying David's HK P7M13, which is the second gun I have tried that I have immediately loved (the first was Jeremy's XDm, which is now my competition gun). If I ever get a carry permit, the HK P7M13 is at the top of my list!

I love those P7 squeeze cockers. You don't really appreciate the design till you shoot it. They sit so low in the hand and point very naturally. They are well made and accurate. I think the manufacturing process made there price point to high so they quit making them. I would love to find a good used one, maybe a police trade in.

E-

Good luck finding a P7M13 (or a regular P7 for that matter). Used gun sales here are so restricted your chances are pretty slim :-( That said if you guys ever move to a more gun-friendly state you'll have a better chance. They are very nice and interesting guns-you've got to be careful with the squeeze cocker and keeping your finger clear of the trigger. A unique weapon to be sure.

Jon - Don't rub it in. ;) I've seen the chickens but not the rabbits yet!

Tim (toothguy) and Tim (TJ1911) - Yeah, the squeeze cocker design is quite something. :)

The red spot on my thumb (it's a blood blister) is where my hand is hitting the mag hardest during reloads. Is that where I want to be hitting the mag, or do I want the blister to be an inch down in the webbing between my thumb and first finger?

I'm a little reluctant to keep sharing personal stuff on my range diary after accidentally coming upon a thread on a different forum that was mostly not about me but still hurt my feelings. And seeing Mandi's sensible admonition to keep this forum "fun and helpful and not a place to talk about personal issues that have nothing to do with the sport itself."

Donovan told me to channel my inner

and just write what I want and let people help me if they want, and to keep connecting with the friends who've opened up to me because of what I've shared.

Ugh. I told Max that I wished I could be the kind of shooter who is just into shooting and the outdoors. But even if/when I get very good, I don't think I can or ever will be like that. Shooting technique and guns are interesting to me to a certain point, but what I love about shooting - and thinking and talking about it - is how it becomes a Narnia wardrobe door to - life.

Edited by Esther

The red spot on my thumb (it's a blood blister) is where my hand is hitting the mag hardest during reloads. Is that where I want to be hitting the mag, or do I want the blister to be an inch down in the webbing between my thumb and first finger?

I'd say you probably don't want blisters anywhere and I'm not understanding your description of where you sustain the blister. It may be hard to isolate the exact where/when, but if you have a little more info, I and others may have ideas.

Are you saying that you pinched the side of your thumb while doing a reload (either live or dry fire)? At what part of the reload movement? Reaching for the mag in the carrier? Inserting it into the gun? Reacquiring the target? During a firing cycle?

It could also be a case of simply allowing your hands time to develop callouses in all the right places. If you don't want callouses, you can apply some tape to the area for protection.

Edited by lumpygravy

I think that as you are pushing the magazine into the gun it should be the Thenar region of the hand that seats the magazine.

I'm a little reluctant to keep sharing personal stuff on my range diary after accidentally coming upon a thread on a different forum that was mostly not about me but still hurt my feelings.

There are those that want to elevate the sport and help those who seek advice and support, and there are those that seek to do the opposite. My advice is to ignore those that hurt you., ie. don't change your life to suit those that don't deserve your attention.

Edited by BritinUSA

It looks like you pinched that part of your thumb between the mag base and the grip (magwell). As Paul (BritinUSA said the base of the magazine should be more toward the center of your palm at the base of your hand, (the fingers and thumb open up to allow slamming the magazine home just as the top of the magazine enters the magwell, which also allows your hand to flow into your grip).

Shooting technique and guns are interesting to me to a certain point, but what I love about shooting - and thinking and talking about it - is how it becomes a Narnia wardrobe door to - life.

This!

You really shouldn't be getting a pinch like that; as a couple of other posters have mentioned you want to get the magazine more in the palm of your hand. I don't know what kind of aftermarket mag base pads are available for XDm's, but if there are different shapes you may want to experiment. Sounds like it might be time to slow down a bit and get things in proper alignment, then work back up to speed.

Jon - I don't mind the blister, it means I'm practicing! But based on what Paul, Steve, and Tim* said, I was hitting the mag in the pouch in the wrong spot. I was lining up my index finger along the front of the mag but not placing the mag firmly in the palm of my hand.

My reloads are really slow (~1.7 sec in live fire), and I'm not making obvious wasted motions, so I think that getting an ineffective grip on my fresh mag is part of the problem. Obviously I need to do a ton more reps too...

Sleepswithdogs - :). I was thinking of your eye of the needle comment when I wrote that.

BritinUSA - Thanks! That's super helpful.

Tim - Yes. I should probably also pay attention to the placement and angling of my mag pouches.

*I know I haven't been consistent about referring to people by names or aliases. It feels more natural to use names (especially with those of you I correspond with or know in person), but a public thread is easier to follow with aliases. I'll probably keep switching back and forth.

Edited by Esther

Donovan has a good point-if you bobble the reload you can really hurt yourself time wise. The more you shoot the more you'll see logical spots in stages to perform a reload. This can actually reduce some of the time pressure. Also if you learn to reload while moving, even if you're just walking, you can save time and not need a super fast mag change. (The IDPA guys will say you should be doing this all behind cover anyway so it shouldn't matter :-) )

Jon - I don't mind the blister, it means I'm practicing!

battle scar, war wound, {insert dramatic injury description here} :roflol:

But based on what Paul, Steve, and Tim* said, I was hitting the mag in the pouch in the wrong spot. I was lining up my index finger along the front of the mag but not placing the mag firmly in the palm of my hand.

This, too, you will figure out in time. It will help to complete your rig and then set the positioning of all of the carriers. What did you decide on carriers?

My reloads are really slow (~1.7 sec in live fire), and I'm not making obvious wasted motions, so I think that getting an ineffective grip on my fresh mag is part of the problem. Obviously I need to do a ton more reps too...

Personally, I think you are a little quick to assign the fast/slow judgement to skills you are developing but if it motivates you to practice and improve then it works for you. Also, how do you know you're not making any wasted motions?

1.7 is not "really slow". Are you a perfectionist or something? ;)

I would rather hit 100% of my reloads in 1.5 than hit 90% under 1.

This ^^

A consistent reload that you can do on demand is better than an inconsistent one that you bungle when you need it most.

A consistent reload that you can do on demand is better than an inconsistent one that you bungle when you need it most.

Ask me how I know this.

Better yet, watch a match video of mine... talk about 90%. :mellow: