Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is Harder - Overcoming Gobbling or Making GM?

Esther

Like a lot of people, I want to do great things but fight my inertia constantly. (Does anybody else think, I bet Dave Sevigny wouldn't be checking Facebook right now, and then do it anyway? I do that about 100 times a day. :) ) I'm hoping that keeping a range diary will help me to practice more, so that I will have something to update regularly.

A bit of background: My name is Esther, I am 29 and a half and a GSB* dropout. I got really into pistol shooting after leaving business school in October 2012. (Technically I'm on medical leave, but I don't plan to go back.) I had gotten really sick from an eating disorder** and diabetes, and one of the things you are supposed to do to get better is work on mindfulness. I remembered from Brian's book that he talks a lot about mindfulness and attention, so I took my CZ and started practicing at the range.

To my great surprise, shooting became a huge part of my long, slow, and frustrating journey towards healing. (Case in point: I practiced with my par timer for the first time several nights ago when I was feeling gobbly and needed the "beep" to help me refocus.)

I am training for my first competition, and there are a ton of things that I need to practice. Mag changes, draws, indexing on multiple targets, movement...

Which is easier - overcoming gobbling or making GM? I'm really hoping the latter. I can't imagine anything being nearly as hard as healing from gobbling. But we'll find out. :)

Esther

* GSB = Stanford's Graduate School of Business

** I'm never sure what to call it - a habit? compulsive behavior? addiction? I debated a long time before posting this. But I want to write about it eventually, and maybe my notes in the process will be helpful to someone (even if that's just me! :-)).

Edited by Esther

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it takes enough devotion to practice dry fire live fire, reloading, and matches that it would certainly restrict the amount of time left over for Gobbling. Everyone needs something they are passionate about in life that they enjoy, and shooting can sure fill that void. Not picking on women but my 60+ years of observation says that they don't develope enough interest in hobbies that involve some physical activity. Part of being a GM will involve reaching a level of fitness that allows you to get there, get a FITBIT and start doing 10K steps a day, then press on with a fitness plan. As you can see I have not made GM yet, but I am getting my 10K of steps on the FITBIT so there is hope.

Esther, the pursuit of GM is noble, but unattainable for most people, IMHO.

GM's are true athletes - outstanding eyesight, reflexes, strength and speed.

Given enough time, money & training, I might be able to make A, not even

Master level because I don't have the reflexes and speed to ever attain that

level IMHO. Because I won't even put the time & training (I never dryfire, eg)

I doubt that I'll ever make A.

As difficult as it undoubtedly is, giving up "gobbling" is attainable by anyone -

all you need is the desire and some help, and it should probably be something

you can attain, IMHO, never having suffered from the disorder. I suffered from

the opposite - "too much gobbling" -kept gaining weight, slowly, and couldn't

stop, despite my "best intentions and efforts" - until a Doctor scared the s**t

out of me, and I dropped 25 lbs in a few months. Nothing to it, once I was

seriously motivated to lose weight - I didn't have to be "superman" or have

outstanding reflexes or speed to lose weight.

Try to become a GM - a worthy goal - how realistic it is for YOU depends on your

natural physical ability, in addition to your efforts - very expensive to make it

that far = lot of dedication needed. But, it will be a great trip for you - I'm a

big supporter - hope you make it.

If you make it, I believe you will be The First Female GM???

If not, you'll certainly attain A, possibly even

Master. Which, will be great in itself. And, hopefully will be the feather that

tips the scales of "gobbling".

Good luck in both your endeavors. Rooting for you. And everyone here at

BE stands behind you 100% and will be happy to provide you with the knowledge

necessary to attain your goals. :cheers:

Esther, the pursuit of GM is noble, but unattainable for most people, IMHO.

I strongly disagree with this. Are all the GM's you've met "true athletes?" In my experience they are regular dudes who put the work in.

I strongly disagree with this. Are all the GM's you've met "true athletes?" In my experience they are regular dudes who put the work in.

IMHO, Yes, they are. I can't move as fast as they shoot - they are "true athletes" IMHO. :sight:

If you got into Stanford then you do have some serious obsessive compulsive tendencies. ( as former Manager with Deloitte & Touche I speak from some observational experience) This is definitely a goal oriented sport.

This is good for shooting sports. USPSA is definitely your cup of tea. Talking with Brian/Robbie/Matt/Taran and you will see the commonality of learning the most efficient way to do any aspect of our sport and do it repeatedly with the same efficiency.

Given your background, you might like Mike Seeklander's book(s) as well as Lanny Bassham's With Winning in Mind.

As for GM status, Jessie Duff has been shooting for a long time, originally in SASS then in USPSA/Bianchi. She has not made GM yet. The bar is really high for GM via the classifiers. I have noticed a lot of GMs once they make it rarely shoot GM level classifiers anymore. So to make GM you really need to practice the classifiers. But as Steve Anderson has said, making GM does not mean you will will matches. That is a similar but different set of skills.

So pick your goal and follow Mike & Lanny's programs and good luck on your journey.

I am training for my first competition, and there are a ton of things that I need to practice. Mag changes, draws, indexing on multiple targets, movement...

Which is easier - overcoming gobbling or making GM? I'm really hoping the latter. I can't imagine anything being nearly as hard as healing from gobbling. But we'll find out. :)

You can do it!

I think that it takes enough devotion to practice dry fire live fire, reloading, and matches that it would certainly restrict the amount of time left over for Gobbling. Everyone needs something they are passionate about in life that they enjoy, and shooting can sure fill that void. Not picking on women but my 60+ years of observation says that they don't develope enough interest in hobbies that involve some physical activity. Part of being a GM will involve reaching a level of fitness that allows you to get there, get a FITBIT and start doing 10K steps a day, then press on with a fitness plan. As you can see I have not made GM yet, but I am getting my 10K of steps on the FITBIT so there is hope.

I think almost all of this is nuts, no offense. No part of reaching GM has anything to do with a pedometer. And to say that women don't develop enough interest in their hobbies to be obsessive about them is wrong as well.

Ultimately, it just comes down to the shooting. If you can get obsessive about the noisy part then you will do well.

Thanks so much, guys!

CocoBolo - Good for you re: the 10k steps a day!

Steve RA - Good question. "Gobbling" is my term for what most therapists would term compulsive eating disorder. It's been a part of my life for over 11 years, and while I (like anyone who gobbles 10,000+ calories in a sitting, many times a week) do gain weight, I've never been overweight even at my heaviest. But apparently you don't need to be overweight for your blood sugars to be really imbalanced and put you at risk for all sorts of apocalyptic medical consequences.

Hi-Power Jack -- You might be right about GM being unattainable for most people, or for most women, or for me in particular, but the only way for me to find out is to assume it's possible and try. At the least, I will have fun, learn something, and make great friends in the process. :)

pjb45 - I agree re: skill at classifiers translating to matches. The whole classifier system reminds me of the standardized testing system for getting into college. You can (and many do) spend tons of time and money practicing the question types that appear on the SAT without getting much smarter in the process.

And, thanks for the recommendations!

Ben - Thanks!! :D

Edited by Esther

I noticed the only GM said you can do it

So does this M

I helped a few get to GM and they don't usually do it with negativity and frankly forum surfing.:) yes I am the Pot calling Kettle. I practiced last night Did you?

Almost all classifiers are a variation of Draw and shoot 6 reload and shoot 6 in A Stationary Position. You need good reflexes, eyes and all but I don't think you need to be a superman or woman. Now to win GM at the Open Nationals? Just a little bit more skills (sarcasm)

what most people miss is what comes after "I want to be a GM" I don't think people grasp what work it takes, put the work in, and are willing to commit to what it takes.

Esther,

You probably left GSB probably because you knew it wasn't for you. What you learned from that is probably more than you would've completing the program. I started on my Master's in my mid 30's so you can always go back to school. I went part time and it just felt right. It was with Arizona State and they loved that I was in industry.

Gobbling: Transfer your OCD to this calorie counter program. It reminds me whether I'm eating too much or too little. It also takes into account calories for exercise. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ I'm ADHD and it helps me with impulsive eating.

I've found these good for calculating calories for exercise. http://www.mapmyrun.com/ http://www.mapmyride.com/

Shooting for you is the easy part. You have the passion.

Anyway, make sure you keep it so you get something out of it.

Getting ready for your first competition? What do you mean? Major match or just getting out to a club match? Either way it sounds like you're ready to jump in there. That is unless your goal is to sit around and research it.

Lanny Basham as an interesting angle on journals. His book/audio "With Winning in Mind" covers this. He says be careful to pay attention to what you do well and forget about what you did bad.

Race you to GM?

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

There is nothing difficult about making GM (by shooting classifiers) except putting in the time.

That won't require any special athletic ability, either, although you will develop some in the process.

Choose your goal carefully, then choose another one after that.

A shooter without a goal isn't a very happy shooter.

"I am training for my first competition, and there are a ton of things that I need to practice. Mag changes, draws, indexing on multiple targets, movement...

I'm pretty sure those things can be practiced in dry fire. There might even be a book or two by some folks around here... :)

Edited by Steve Anderson

I probably should have put this observation in the "things I've noticed" forum at some point...

There are a lot of personalities in our sport that exhibit compulsive behavior. It is likely a big part of who they(we) are, for whatever the reason. Can we fight who we are? Can we understand it a bit? Perhaps more importantly...can we channel that energy to positive goals?

To use one of my favorite sayings......... "how do you eat an elephant?........... one bite at a time".

Maybe a poor choice of wisdom for this particular thread?

Edited by dravz

I, too, would like to know what you mean by "training for your first match". Jump in there! I shot the ProAm match unclassified (I don't recommend that part, get classified if possible) after owning my first ever handgun for about 4 months and after just one club level IDPA match under my belt. I improved more as a shooter (and learned more by asking questions and watching the big dogs) in that day than the previous four months of forum stalking, youtubing, dryfire, and range practice combined. And I didn't totally suck! I'm still a noob and I can tell you the guys at the match will be nothing but helpful and supportive. Don't worry about going out and performing. That's not important. As long as you're safe, everybody will be glad you're there and help you in any way they can. Ask questions and have fun. BEST OF LUCK IN BOTH ENDEAVORS!!

Edited by pointofimpact

Well you got some good answers and more than one gm has chimed in with positive comments..

Flexmoney ( multiple disciplined GM, area 5 guru)

Ben Stoeger ( national champion and author of some very good shooting books)

Steve Anderson ( this guy went from zero to GM in one year and wrote the method he used into books) as an aside, I took a dry fire class with him and he got my draw into uncharted territory. He has a gift of discernment and instructing.

BSeevers ( Master class who has forgotten more about shooting than must of us will ever know)

In addition to what they have said, I'll add.......buy Lanny Bashaam's book "With Winning in Mind". You might find that his technique will help you with more than just shooting.

In conclusion, I don't know which is harder, but I know which would be more rewarding!!!! You can do it, GM baby!!!!