Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elbow pain with EGW-U die

GregJ

Was wondering if anyone has experienced additional pain in their right elbow since using an EGW-U die. The increased down sizing of the die is causing additional stress in the elbow to size and seat.

Here's my setup:

- Hornady LNL with case feeder.

- EGW-U size/decap die, RCBS powder cop, Hornady seating die, RCBS taper crimp die.

- Roller handle from http://www.inlinefabrication.com/

- I sit on a shop hight stool when reloading, press is on a Sears shop bench.

- Mixed brass. I thought about lubing the brass slightly, but thought it cause a mess with the case feeder. I know it will really gunk up the sizing die.

My objective with the EGW-U die is to use mixed brass with little/no setback - which works nicely. I've tried the Hornady and RCBS sizing dies, and both would not resized some brass down enough that I would get enough setback to cause a jam.

I was thinking of trying a Dillon sizing/decap die next.

Suggestions?

Try some Hornady One-shot spray. Just a spritz or two over your cleaned cases will make it noticeably easier.

It is very light and doesn't gunk up the sizing die at all, and you don't have to remove it from the loaded rounds.

....(Sucks getting old. :angry2: )...

Roger that, but at least we are still in the game! :cheers:

I use the U-die for the same reasons you do, and especially with range pick-up brass will get an occasional case that just resizes hard. I will usually pull that case and take a look before priming (dillon 550) to make sure it is OK. With .38 super I've experienced hard rings where the die stops on extremely bulged cases after sizing with a u-die and can tell from the amount of force on the handle if there might be a problem. So, in a way I like it that I get feed back on which cases might be a problem and need to be checked.

'

And, as Mr. Smith point out the ergonomics of your loading station might be a factor with the elbow pain.

Good Luck!

I have used One Shot and Dillon case lube for years. It greatly reduces the effort needed to resize cases. I spray a little lube into a gallon ziplock bag and then put in a few handsful of cases. Seal the bag and roll the cases around in in the sealed bag. You don't use as much lube and the lube doesn't get inside the case. I do still tumble the ammo fo 30 minutes after loading.

I contemplated quitting reloading until I moved my presses to a tall bench where I could stand up. It makes such a huge difference. I would have elbow, shoulder, and back pain after a few hundred rounds reloading while sitting. I also use oneshot before I load the rounds into the hopper. Makes a huge difference.

I put all of my brass in a box, shoot it with quickshot, shake the heck out of it and then run it through.

This...I keep the box near the press and it has a little lube built up on it now which makes things even easier. Try resizing a few hundred brand new starline 38super +P without lube; no fun!

Use an old bath towel, spray some lube - whatever you like - down the middle of the towel. Not much, goes a long way. Put brass in the middle, fold sides over, grab ends and shake back and forth for a short while. Don't wash towel, just replenish lube when needed. Eventually discard towel and start over.

I load on the same setup as you (Hornady LNL and U-Die). DEFINITELY spray your cases with some lube (I use One-Shot) before you reload them. I will spray the inside of a gallon ziplock bag for 1-2 seconds, then throw in 300-400 cases and shake. I loaded about 5K rounds this way before removing my dies for cleaning. There was hardly any dirt/lube built up on any of the dies. This makes a huge difference in the amount of force it takes to resize cases with the U-Die.

I load on the same setup as you (Hornady LNL and U-Die). DEFINITELY spray your cases with some lube (I use One-Shot) before you reload them. I will spray the inside of a gallon ziplock bag for 1-2 seconds, then throw in 300-400 cases and shake. I loaded about 5K rounds this way before removing my dies for cleaning. There was hardly any dirt/lube built up on any of the dies. This makes a huge difference in the amount of force it takes to resize cases with the U-Die.

I've done this before with rifle brass, not sure why I didnt think of doing this before - guess I didnt want to take a chance on gumming up my new case feeder. Anyway, loaded about 100 rnds last night using the bag and One-Shot, definately seems to help.

Thanks all ! :cheers:

I load on the same set up as well. I use both Dillon and One Shot. Even for pistol. 1-2 squirts of dillon and some one-shot in a gallon bag, then add brass, shake and roll around.

Makes the press run so much smoother. Clean off the casefeeder with some degreaser if you need to. I don't bother with it.

....though I never thought about quitting I, like Alphamikefoxtrot, did have back and shoulder trouble when loading for extended sessions until I mounted my press on a tall bench. I picked a height that allowed me to stand and swing my arm through a natural arc. I don't have the number handy but I think it's in the 40+ inch range plus a Dillon Strong Mount, I'll check tomrrow. I use One-shot too and my body says "thank you"....