Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot sight for a Ruger 22/45?

jnshapiro

I'm fixin to get a 22/45 for Steel. Planning to send it to Clark for one of their conversion packages. It'll come back with a sight rail.

What's a good sight to put on it that won't cost an arm and a leg?

This will be my first dot sighted gun.

Joel

I got a Hakko, but get the full size one insead of the oval shaped one like I did. I found it on Ebay. my .02. Fun little site, really fun little gun.

Go here http://www.rimfirecentral.com/ and register and use the forums. Search on Hakko and there is a ton of info. I like my Hakko but dont shoot it enogh. Hope this helps to get you some info.

I'd get whatever you can mount closest to the bore. I had a Hakko Panorama for a while (which I sold on eBay!), but now I have an el cheapo no-name (under $20 at Kiesler's when I got it) that's a 30mm tube and I like the configuration better. I miss the quality of the Hakko, though.

If I ever get an EOTech for my car gun, the juice can I have on it will probably go on the Ruger 22/45.

My buddy put a gigantic Tasco tube sight on his 22/45. It was a mistake. It just makes it feel funny. It became top heavy and very difficult to stabilize.

Go with an OKO/CMore style sight that won't change the feel of the gun.

Yeah I also took my Tasco PDP5 off and replaced it with the OKO and noticed a big change in the way the gun handled. I also high cut the front strap under the trigger guard which made the gun point better for me. So far I have won our little .22 steel match twice and came in second once with this setup. Of course it could just be that the guys who usually win were all hung over or sick! :lol:

-ld

I think that the heavier the scope is, the farther back you have to mount it. A C-More or OKO sight would be just fine pretty far forward. A juice can needs to be right over your hand and even then it's going to be a little unwieldly.

Thanks for the suggestions folks! I'll look for one that's of the CMore style for weight. I hadn't really considered that.

Will the OKO mount on a weaver type rail? That's what's gonna be installed on the gun. If not, where can I get a rail for it for a Ruger 22/45?

Thanks!

Joel

I bought a B-Square rail that attaches to the spaces left by removing the front and rear sight (this applies to the bull barelled model). There are a couple of different mounting options for the OKO so you have to make sure you get one that attaches directly to a weaver rail. Here is a pic of the gun with the OKO and the B-Square rail.

-ld

Dcp01008.jpg

I have a shorter Weaver rail attached to the top of the receiver. My FLG drilled & tapped it for me (and recrowned the barrel while he was at it!). Mine seems to sit a little lower than yours.

I like your basepads! Did you glue them? Will superglue hold, or would I need to go with epoxy of some kind?

They are glued and screwed. I lined the forward hole in the bp up with the takedown hole on the bottom of the mag. Then I used a punch to mark the location of the aft hole on the mag and I drilled a hole just a bit smaller than the screw. So far plain old super glue holds pretty well but a couple of the pads loosened after a year more or less. Another shot of glue and I haven't had any real problems.

-ld

I bought a B-Square rail that attaches to the spaces left by removing the front and rear sight (this applies to the bull barelled model). There are a couple of different mounting options for the OKO so you have to make sure you get one that attaches directly to a weaver rail. Here is a pic of the gun with the OKO and the B-Square rail.

-ld

Dcp01008.jpg

where can one find this rail?

I bought a clark mount, milled the weaver grooves off of it, drilled and tapped it, and put a CMore on it. Low to the bore and runs like a champ. I also have a magwell on it that fits my hand better. I havent found anything I like better yet for steel. I have the 4moa dot in it and love it! Doug

I have a Browning Buckmark with a built in Pic rail. I put a cheap BSA dot on it and it works fine.

It holds zero and is bright enough. Since it doesn't take a beating on the .22, I don't think you really need an expensive red dot.

What do you think of the 22 45 as a starter for a kid? Is the grip angle close and is the grip small enought for young hands? I have my son plinking away with his rifle (a neat little Henry with a FO front sight) and he is really pushing for a pistol. How are the sights? On the subject of kids and guns, Bill Sahlberg gave a good piece of advice, never stray more than an arms length from a kid with a pistol as the short gun can turn into trouble with out much movement. I would be pretty happy if he turns out to like our sport :) .

Your best bet is to take the kid with you when you go gun shopping. I tried a Walther P22, a Taurus 22 10-shot revolver and my 22/45 before finally getting a Ruger MkII for the kids. They like the grip better and since my bull barrel was too heavy for them I got the tapered barrel model.

-ld

The gun in the pic is a MKII of course, but the same setup will work on the 22/45.

Tasco ProPoint from Optics Planet $88.50 w/ free shipping

SoLow Scope Mount $45.00 can also be found on ebay.

ailarina.jpg

Installation was a breeze.

thread drift ...

Volquartsen Comp $58.10 w/ shipping

ps. thanks shooter-grrl for hosting the pic!