Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major - 115's - Autocomp

bobmysterious

Ok, before somebody gets all bent out of shape about this, I've done numerous searches on the forum and still haven't found much specific information on this load. It's been asked before, but not completely answered.

I've got a few qualifiers for this one too, so hopefully this thread will be useful to someone else as well. Just Autocomp and 115's.

I'm not looking for information about:

- 124's

- HS-6

- Silhouette

- 3N37, 3N38, or #7

I just need to fill in one part-

115 gr. MG JHP

(insert charge here) Winchester Autocomp

Win SRP

Mixed Brass

1.155 OAL

So far I've reverse engineered it to about 7.5 gr. What do y'all think?

Thanks!

So I wound up loading 100 of them and hit the range tonight. I'm gonna load a few hundred more and shoot them tomorrow as well, and then in a match on Sunday. I should be able to chrono them after the match. Need to spend a lot more time with them, but so far the load has potential. B)

Uhha, I did see that. I've found that 1.155 feeds consistently in my gun, so it's kind of my go to OAL. I won't know the PF until later on this weekend, but the load felt fairly stout. That's what I was looking for though. Dot jumped to about 2:00 but stayed in the glass. With a slightly higher charge weight ,shorter OAL, and 6 holes in the barrel I'm hoping to be in the mid 170's. The Akai gun I'm shooting is really flat and (to me) feels best at a higher PF (his comp is super efficient, so I'm trying to give it as much gas as I can). I'm gonna load up another 300 for the range tomorrow and 300 for a match on Sunday, so by Sunday afternoon I'm hoping to have some more specific information for y'all.

Ok, so I ran the ammo through a chronograph this afternoon and this is what I came up with --->

115 gr. MG JHP

7.5 gr.Winchester Autocomp

Win SRP

Mixed Brass

1.155 OAL

It was kind of a cold day, sunny and about 60 degrees.

So that's an average of 1,434 FPS or 164 PF

I'm gonna goose the charge up to 7.8 gr. and see where that puts me. Won't be able to check until later this week or the weekend though, but I'll keep y'all posted.

With all those holes I could have told you 7.5 would not even be close to the 170's. I have no holes in my 5" gun and it takes 7.3 to get a 121 to 173. I'll be you end up at 7.8 or 7.9.

Edited by Sarge

With all those holes I could have told you 7.5 would not even be close to the 170's. I have no holes in my 5" gun and it takes 7.3 to get a 124 to 173. I'll be you end up at 7.8 or 7.9.

Kevin I thought you were running 121's??

yep typo.

Alright, bumped the charge up to 8.0 grains and had a chance to run them through the chrono today.

5 Shot Averages ---->

That puts it in the 169 - 172 range. Dot was up and down, and stayed in the glass. So far I like the load, although it is kind of dirty (left some unburned powder). Still trying to decide if I should goose the powder a little more and see what happens, no pressure signs on the brass yet.

no pressure signs on the brass yet.

Reid, I'm unfamiliar with pressure signs "on the brass".

My understanding is that pressure signs will show up on the

primers well before "on the brass".

But PF 172 shouldn't be too high for that load.

I presume you're keeping the OAL at 1.155"?

:cheers:

Yeah, I was using brass as more of a blanket term. No primer flow or flattening, so I feel pretty confident I can walk the charge up a little further. I'm also hoping that if I bump the PF up a little I'll have a more complete powder burn too. Same OAL.

I just started loading 9 major and tried autocomp and HS6 (after shooting both, I prefer HS6 - feels like it shoots flatter in my open gun). But here's the specs I was using for autocomp.

1.140 OAL (My CZ czechmate shoots shorter OAL's).

6.5 grains Autocomp (~1,350 fps)

124 MG CMJ

New Starline brass

CCI SPP

I tried some autocomp with 6.9 gr and was hitting 1,400 fps on the chrono.

• 1 year later...

8 grains of autocomp.. That's a violent load...

Depends on the comp I guess. I run 7.4 with 121's and it's not bad at all. Probably close to 8 myself when I test some 115's later this summer

I am running 7.8 gr of Auto Comp with a 121 gr IFP bullet at 1.155 AOL. It makes 173 PF in my Akai open gun with a bunch of barrel holes. Gun is very flat shooting. Don't plan on changing it if I go to 115s.

Edited by Jaxshooter

115gr MG JHP with 7.6gr of Autocomp thru my steel master is flat, but as I learned at the Oilfield Classis this year, only hits a 161 PF... That and it etched the heck out of the glass on my C-More (still using factory mount). I thought I was hitting major, but my Chorno lied... Probably because I accidentally shot it about 3 times in the last 10 years and the sensors aren't exactly lined up right...

Oh the 124gr MG JHP's with 6.8gr of Autocomp seem to be right at 164pf in the steel master. But it also seems like the more powder you put in it, the flatter it gets.

Edited by lee blackman

I am running 7.8 gr of Auto Comp with a 121 gr IFP bullet at 1.155 AOL. It makes 173 PF in my Akai open gun with a bunch of barrel holes. Gun is very flat shooting. Don't plan on changing it if I go to 115s.

WOW! That is one slow barrel! He doesn't use Briley barrels by chance does he?