Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoulder surgery

johes

Give it about 4 months before you start trying to dry fire, draw, reload practice etc. Realistically you are looking at 6 to 8 months before you'll feel completely comfortable doing anything. And about a year for when you won't think about it anymore. I've had 3 so I'm speaking from personal experience but it also depends on how bad it was torn, type of surgery and rehab program you are doing now. Good luck and don't try to come back too fast!

Edited by Prov1x

I'm right handed and it was my left shoulder repaired. I'm pretty sure it'll be a while before competing again but I hope to at least be able to do some strong hand shooting when I'm able to rack the slide to load comfortably.

Edited by johes

I'm 4 months out of SLAP surgery on my weak side shoulder. I'm a ways off of 100%. Still pain everyday, some more than others. But it's getting better. After my first therapy I was pretty sure I was disabled for life, but looks like I'm going to be fine. LOL! Do your therapy!!!!

Of course I HAD to shoot our last club match a few weeks back. I knew mag changes would suck, but a classifier with 2 weak hand strings? Ouch!

B

Had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder in 2008. Need to follow the phy therapy. Have not looked back. I conitunie to shoot, 4-5 matches a month. Pistol and rifle and shotgun. The pain and discomfort is gone. Good Luck and shoot straight.

Mike

I have had both of my shoulders worked on, it does take about 6 months for full recovery. Follow your Dr's recommended course of action, and do the small exercises they talk about, and do not rush it, you do not want to have to have anything redone.

The thread referenced above by Toothguy might be helpful. I have been shooting most of this year after having both sides rotator cuff surgery last year. To be honest, I improved with both hands and am a better shooter now because of it. Just take your time, follow the doctor's and physical therapist's advice, and you will be shooting even better next year.

Joe

I'm scheduled for surgery on Jan. 4 to repair a labrum tear and clean up some bursitus. I have some small rotator cuff tearing, but they do not need to be surgically repaired. Doc told me 2 months optimistically, 3-4 months realistically, before he would sign off on me going back to full duty. Screw duty, when can I shoot!

The thread referenced above by Toothguy might be helpful. I have been shooting most of this year after having both sides rotator cuff surgery last year. To be honest, I improved with both hands and am a better shooter now because of it. Just take your time, follow the doctor's and physical therapist's advice, and you will be shooting even better next year.

Joe

+1 on this. I had major RC surgery last December, after having to allow my broken collarbone to heal. This slowed my physical therapy a bit but I was doing good by the summer and feel I am 100% now. Be very active with the physical therapy and accept no less than a full recovery. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a major overhaul on mine and I was back shooting a little over a year after. But mine was more than a RC. Follow the doc and your physical therapist and you will be shooting before you know it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had RC and bone spur done. But problem is after surgery the shoulder froze up. Now we have to bust up all the scar tissue to get range of motion. Very painful.

Now I'm sick, can't go to PT for a few weeks. Will try to do what I can at home.

Have no idea when I can shoot now.

Edited by Reinz

I had major reconstruction done on mine back in the Army, one of the worst the surgeon had ever had to do. I had a full year of PT just about every day starting 10 weeks after(it was bad enough they waited much longer than normal). By that time the scar tissue was pretty set and a large part of the PT was slowly breaking it down and getting most of my range of motion back.

If you can make it during the next few weeks I really suggest it, there was no way I could have done what needed to be done on my own. It took 2 to 3 at PT to do it.

Good luck. I need to have less major work done on my off hand but just cannot bring myself to go through it again right now,

I CAN FEEL THE PAIN,

I had my strong hand, left shoulder RC done on the 20th of Dec. WOW! the pain!.. Behind the back is the worst-- hopefully by the 15th of may I'll be ready for the SSN and the RN's I can't even pick up a gun yet--

Lots of good advise on here, so, I'm going to take it really slow.

I'm left handed and I endured AC seperation on my right shoulder (all the tendons were ripped off my collarbone after motorcycle accident). Accident was in early May, surgery in June followed by rehab. My first range visit was beginning of Aug and I shot my first match in late Aug. My shoulder was stiff and I didn't have full range of motion yet but I was able to support the gun and reload.

The accident is actually what precipitated my getting into shooting. That Aug. was my first USPSA match.

It wasn't rotator cuff but it was major shoulder surgery. When I started rehab I had been in a sling constantly for 3-4 weeks and couldn't even move my arm. I had a great therapist who got me moving again very quickly.

Good luck.