Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new L10 gun - opinions & ideas

kcd19

i am looking to purchase or build a new gun for Limited 10 division and would like to hear some ideas and/or feedback on some of the thought's i've had on it.

basically, i am considering a .40S&W, something along the lines of an STI Edge or Apeiro, or a slightly worked-over version of either (i.e., Brazos Edge)

here's the catch, though.. I live in NY, so (post-94) 140mm mags for either of the 2011 guns are a no-go, hench the Limited-10 specific focus. I don't anticipate being in a position to leave NY in the foreseeable future, so I am not married to the idea of a double-stack "for later". in addition to the legal constraints, I am on the fence about putting the money into a double stack platform and dealing with the issues with tuning magazines, etc., where a single stack platform w/ 10 round mags would be a bit more straightforward, as far as i've read while doing some research.

I already have a gun for Single Stack, so trying to pull double duty w/ a single stack build is a non-issue.

any thoughts on what may serve to be a better option? anything that i should consider that i may not have?

thanks..

Regarding wide body vs single column magazines for L10, some folks feel that it is easier to perform a reload with the tapered top portion of a wide body mag and the gappping maw of a wide body frame. Personally, I've never had to tune any of my magazines beyond a little spring tweaking.

If you already have the SS gun, and you dont foresee the opportunity to make use of the 2011's capacity, why fork out the cash? Roll with what you have and use the saved cash for a magwell (if you dont already have one), more practice, and match fees.

I'll second lumpygravy's post. The mag issues with 2011's usually center around trying to get > 20 rds in a magazine. Running them @ 10 rds should be no problem at all or at least minimal tuning such as getting the slide lock to function properly.

I shot L-10 with a 1911 single stack for years. I never felt at even the smallest disadvantage. Just put a magwell on the SS gun that you already have and buy five Chip McCormick or Wilson 10 round magazines. It will be way less expensive and fully competitive.

I shot L-10 with a 1911 single stack for years. I never felt at even the smallest disadvantage. Just put a magwell on the SS gun that you already have and buy five Chip McCormick or Wilson 10 round magazines. It will be way less expensive and fully competitive.

This will be my next L-10 set up. I will probably run it in .40, but otherwise, yeah, that will be it. Then you can run SS and L-10 with the same gun, just different magazines.

40 1911 ten round mags are not much longer than 7,8 round .45 mags. Be easier to deal with. I'd build a 6 inch sighttracker type single stack gun if legal under the new rules, or a 6 inch conventional lightening slide bushing barrel .40.

thanks for the input. the .45 1911 i already shoot is set up pretty well for L-10, and I don't feel particularly disadvantaged by it, for the most part.

however, i want one in a .40 and rather than build a second top end, i'd just as soon have another one in the stable.

i figure that a lighter slide, either via the sighttracker configuration or lightening cuts coupled with a bit more weight in the front are going to keep things a bit flatter, making the second shot a bit quicker. and, of course, .40 brass is a bit less.

my own inclination has been more toward a single stack.. who might be a good source for putting together such a thing? anyone had something similar built?

thanks.

You could always tri-top the slide to lighten it a little, then you would still be single stack legal if you want to use it for multiple divisions. If I was going to build it for l10 only I would get a sight tracker

My vote goes for a double stack .40 2011 build. To comply with state requirements you can have 10 rounders for your gun. Not sure what the wording of NY state law is but if it is legal to posess hi-cap mag PARTS then you can have 140mm tubes and guts and reassemble them once you leave home to shoot Limited in other states where its legal. Take them back apart before you fly back. I'm not encouraging anyone to break laws but merely putting alternatives out there. I feel that just cause your home state prohibits something it shouldn't prohibit you from using that item where legal in another state.

I also live in a damn 10 round state. I used to shoot L10 with a single stack gun, but got irritated stuffing skinny mags into a skinny magwell all the time so I went to a double stack gun and never looked back.

Just build a SS 40 S&W that would be legal for SS, L-10, and IDPA ESP. Mags are not a problem...I use Mec-Gar 8 rounders with J&J base pads and Tripp 10 round system mags in 10mm, also have Tripp 9 round 10mm mags, & Shooting Star 10 round 40 S&W mags, all function flawlessly. Mine is a custom Colt mod 70, STI slide, bomar 0.115 rear and FO front 0.130 width. Hard chromed, and just added a Dawson Ice Gap magwell. Functions like a clock. Shoot Berry HBRN 155gr. double struck plated bullets. It is very accurate & flat shooting.