Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BCG is there really a difference?

kimberacp

Spikes doesn't "make" anything. They source all their parts from separate vendors and merely assemble their guns in house. Now do they use good vendors? Probably, but their warranty and customer service is exemplary so when there is a problem, you usually don't hear about it.

The main thing with the bolt carrier is to make sure that the carrier key is properly staked.

Let me ask this: "Why is this important".

Your post is an opinion and many people would disagree with you, staking is not essential. Lots of guys dont want staked carrier key screws for reasons that have been covered here on BEnos before.

I don't know that I've ever seen anyone advocate specifically "not staking"...including on this forum (post links as I'd be interested is seeing the logic used)...of course many have suggested it isn't essential, and correctly so, but then again, neither is getting your car brakes replaced...maybe you can get away with it for a long time, but eventually, something might go horribly wrong. I've seen the effects of a poorly secured/staked key, and I don't want to see it again.

In an area where there is little difference from one brand to another in terms of quality, proper staking can be one of the more important differences between carriers.

I dont have the links off the top of my head but if I recall correctly the logic was "if one of the bolts were to break you would never know it as the head would be held in place by the staking, the gun would have a gas leak and would not run" if the bolts arent staked the head can fall out and alert you to the problem.

I dont have the links off the top of my head but if I recall correctly the logic was "if one of the bolts were to break you would never know it as the head would be held in place by the staking, the gun would have a gas leak and would not run" if the bolts arent staked the head can fall out and alert you to the problem.

Ya, that's the way I have seen it put before also. That the rifle will start to have problems and it will take a while to figure out what's wrong, because the heads are staked. As I recall, this was an argument for witness marks, but not staking a competition rifle.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Staking the Carrier Key Screws is a requirement of the TDP (Technical Data Package). This is how the Military "specs" M-16',. M-4's, etc.

If you order the screws from one of the vendors who certify their fasteners the odds of one failing (if properly installed) are infinitesimal.

I HAVE had carrier key screws come loose (J. P. Enterprises Grade III), I've never had a screw break!

You can purchase a Inch Pounds Torque Wrench from Harbor Freight for $20.00, A staking tool is going to cost $60-$75, 650 degree Loctite 2620 is EXPENSIVE! Around $40 a tube with shipping, BUT Loctite 271 is worthless because of the 250 degree rating.

just a follow-up question, as per advice to keep a spare bolt, can I use any brand or type, will it match to my existing carrier. thanks

Yep, i'd suggest JP enhanced bolt or a Rainier Arms Bolt. Rainier being much cheaper and NiB coated.

I tried everything,nobody seems to have in stock, Although found 1 dealer who has a FN's FaBCG, anyfeedback or experience of this make, my experience is limited to BCM and LMT, FN BCg quality comparable to the 2 makes? thanks

The main thing with the bolt carrier is to make sure that the carrier key is properly staked.

Let me ask this: "Why is this important".

Your post is an opinion and many people would disagree with you, staking is not essential. Lots of guys dont want staked carrier key screws for reasons that have been covered here on BEnos before.

I don't know that I've ever seen anyone advocate specifically "not staking"...including on this forum (post links as I'd be interested is seeing the logic used)...of course many have suggested it isn't essential, and correctly so, but then again, neither is getting your car brakes replaced...maybe you can get away with it for a long time, but eventually, something might go horribly wrong. I've seen the effects of a poorly secured/staked key, and I don't want to see it again.

In an area where there is little difference from one brand to another in terms of quality, proper staking can be one of the more important differences between carriers.

Never had a bolt break but have had them work loose on non staked or poorly staked BCG.

Pat

I found that thread. Interesting....but I'm with Pat, I've had screws back out on me, but never break.

Sometimes they come from the factory that way ie: Bushmaster was famous for this at one time.

I found that thread. Interesting....but I'm with Pat, I've had screws back out on me, but never break.

Sometimes they come from the factory that way ie: Bushmaster was famous for this at one time.

Thankfully I don't usually mess with Bushies haha, but doesn't that just solidify the point that getting a quality BCG is important?

Edited by GorillaTactical

All my custom builds had WMD NiB BCG's. They claim you can run them dry...they are that slick! I believe Fail Zero does the Nickel Boron coating on the Spikes NiB units. WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) is supposedly owned by ex-employees of Fail Zero. WMD also did the NiB coating for my Glock 19 (factory) and provides a lifetime warranty on the coating they put on the slide and barrel!

Either BCG is Mil-Spec and the highest quality that I have used. I also used Spikes regular phosphate BCG's, before they got impossible to get.