Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buyers who wait until the meet to lowball you!

kneelingatlas

Feel free to correct me if I'm out of line but when I'm selling a gun to a private buyer the time to negotiate price is BEFORE THE MEET! I feel the meeting and inspection of the gun is a go/no go situation: if the gun is as promised, you buy, if not you walk.

If I've got a gun for sale for $700, you arrange to meet me without saying a word about the price, then spring this "I love this gun, but the most I can offer you is $500" crap! If you had told me you only had $500 to spend, I wouldn't have wasted my time meeting you; you have stolen my time.

While I'm at it, let's talk about the other side: I hate to see OBO after the price; I know it's a way of saying "I'm willing to entertain offers", but it's not! If that's what you want to say, say it! "or best offer"?!? What if I offer $10 for your STI Open gun? is there an infinite time period in which you will accept offers, then the best will take it? What if I come by with your best offer after you've committed to a buyer?

AHHRRRG!!!

OK, I'm all done

[/rant]

Some people seem to (mistakenly) believe that "or best offer" means they reserve the right to back out a sale if someone comes along and offers more money than the first buyer.

That's not what it means, people.

And if someone arranges a buy meet, the only reason for backing out or changing the offer is if the goods aren't as described.

LOL I just dealt with that.

Sold a used aftermarket performance car part to a guy. He agreed to 65 bucks. He gets there and says he can give me 60. I scolded him and told him he needs to learn how to handle business. He tells me he needs the five for lunch money. I told him that if he was scrounging for 5 bucks for lunch he shouldn't be buying car parts. He says, "It's only 5 bucks." I said, "Yea, it is only 5 bucks. So give me my five bucks!"

Assh*le.

Edited by JaeOne3345

On the other side of this issue, do you know how much time and how many miles I've wasted going to look at crap that was described as being in great condition, but turned out to be a pile of shit? I'm not kidding...

ME "Is there any rust on the chrome?"

THEM "Nah, MAYBE a couple of tiny spots on the exhaust."

ME (looking at the bike) "ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME YOU LIEING POS, THIS THING LOOKS LIKE IT WAS STORED AT THE BOTTOM OF A RIVER!!!"

I don't give any indication that I will actually buy anything, or even make an offer until I see things in person. MY time is just as valuable as yours and why should I trust you anymore than you trust me?

On the other side of this issue, do you know how much time and how many miles I've wasted going to look at crap that was described as being in great condition, but turned out to be a pile of shit? I'm not kidding...

I drove a half hour to buy a Browning A5 Light Twelve this old timer told me over the phone was in MINT condition; even in the dim light of his shitty old trailer I could see rust pits in the receiver. When I made up some bullshit to back out without calling this 80 year old a dirty f*#king liar, he proceeded to lecture me for an hour about how young punks like me don't know a good deal when we see it.

I don't give any indication that I will actually buy anything, or even make an offer until I see things in person. MY time is just as valuable as yours and why should I trust you anymore than you trust me?

My point was that buyers who are not willing to pay full asking price even if the item is perfect better damn well be upfront about that. I've done it plenty of times, "the most I'm prepared to offer is $XXX, are you interested?". I had this happen just a few weeks ago: I'm selling a gun for $650, the guy arranges the meet, looks the gun over, "man this thing is perfect, will you take $600?" then I'm thinking {is it worth $50 bucks to relist this thing, waste more time/gas to go meet another buyer? f*#k it}. I walk away rightfully feeling like I got f*#ked. I like deals where both parties walk away feeling like they came out ahead.

For a while I would ask perspective buyers "so are you willing to pay my asking price if it's as advertised?", but then I would feel like I'm turning them off, so I stop, then this happens. I guess I need to come up with a more tactful way to ask.

But you think it is fair to go test drive a car and then try to talk the dealer down on the price?

You wasted the salesmens times, the dealers gas, put wasted miles on the vehical, and gave then added insurace costs, even though it has a price clearly marked on the window.

Not trying to be rude, but stop being a hypocrit because you have done the same thing.

Edited to add:

Everyone thinks their stuff holds a higher value than it actually does. Don't get mad that the purchaser doesn't see the same value you see.

Edited by forddriver

But you think it is fair to go test drive a car and then try to talk the dealer down on the price?

You wasted the salesmens times, the dealers gas, put wasted miles on the vehical, and gave then added insurace costs, even though it has a price clearly marked on the window.

Absolutely, they created that game not me. I went to their place of business, they didn't have to drive the car out to pick me up, the salesman didn't leave work early to meet me, he's at work.

I've got another one for you: I sold a revolver to a guy who wanted it so bad he drove two hours each way (twice!) to get it, then what does the dumb f*#ker do? shows up with NO CASH!?! He had never done this before and though he could use his credit card and the gun store would give me the money. Mind you I find this out AFTER he takes his handgun safety test, fills out the transfer paperwork and his DROS is started! Then I've got to ride with him to the bank so he can pull out the money he owes me. Three hours this ate out of the middle of my day!

I've got another one for you: I sold a revolver to a guy who wanted it so bad he drove two hours each way (twice!) to get it, then what does the dumb f*#ker do? shows up with NO CASH!?! He had never done this before and though he could use his credit card and the gun store would give me the money. Mind you I find this out AFTER he takes his handgun safety test, fills out the transfer paperwork and his DROS is started! Then I've got to ride with him to the bank so he can pull out the money he owes me. Three hours this ate out of the middle of my day!

You have to pass a saftey test to own a handgun and do transfers for private sales in your state? That would make me madder than that moron forgetting his money.

I'm not so much an "ends justify the means" kind of guy; my integrity means more to me than chiseling someone for a few bucks.

On the subject of used car dealers, I chisel those bastards out of principle! Let me tell you a story about this Hyundai station wagon I bought once:

Friday night after a wedding my buddy and I are like "f*#k it! let's go to Vegas man!!!" so we take off. Four hours of gridlocked traffic later, I'm in the middle of the desert, falling asleep at the wheel so I decide to jump into the exit lane and get some shut eye. Driving down the exit ramp, suddenly the car in front of me swerves out of the lane to miss the STOPPED CAR in front of him! I lock up the brakes and ALMOST stop in time; SMASH!!! the guy I hit's bumper was just high enough to jam my radiator into my engine block... Totaled that f*#ker!

So Sunday morning my ass still hurts from my five hour, $1,800, tow truck drive and I've got to get to work on Monday, so I start surfing the classifieds for a used car. Two look promising: one 45 minutes north and one 30 minutes south; it's getting late, only time to look at one. f*#k it, I drive to the part of town with all the used car lots. At the Toyota dealership I spot this Hyundai, what a beater 115K, sideswiped fender and door, PERFECT! (I was really mad at myself, so I needed to be punished with this pussy wagon for a while) The had $13,999 crossed out and $13,500 written below it; WHAT THE f*#k?!? In tiny little print at the bottom of the sticker, written in black print on a blue background it read "Kelly Blue Book Suggested Retail Value: $5,600". SO I take it for a spin, drives good and I tell the guy "let's talk"...

Long story short (too late right?) I drove out of there with my new station wagon for $4,000 cash out the door and a job offer! When my dad and sister came to pick up my sister's car the manager of the lot told him "we've NEVER been beat up like that before AND he had us rolling on the floor the whole time!". I turned down the job and told them I couldn't bear to make my living selling people $4,000 cars for $15K.

Well when they meet you they have "cash money" and then want to drop the price like a brick as they wave some bills. That or you price something shipped and its a small pretty cheap item and they ask how much FTf somewhere about 150 miles round trip and get mad when you say will just ship it since the drive isnt worth it and will cost more than the 5 buck postage and they call you al you a scammer and report it to the sight seriously who's driving 150 miles and wasting a couple hrs when has is 3.50 a gallon on a 40 buck item